1056 users online (170 members and 886 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Go Ahead, Psychiatrists: Diagnose Donald Trump

http://time.com/4872558/donald-trump-goldwater-rule/
    Go Ahead, Psychiatrists: Diagnose Donald Trump
    Updated: Jul 26, 2017 2:25 PM ET | Originally published: Jul 25, 2017
    […]
    It's indeed impossible for anyone but a professional who is treating Trump to say with certainty what his clinical diagnosis is — if any. But when the mental health of one man can have such a profound impact on the lives of 323 million Americans — to say nothing of the 7.5 billion people living on the planet as a whole — it's irresponsible to not at least have the conversation. And it's a dereliction for the people who know the most — the doctors — not to lead it.

http://www.newsweek.com/mental-healt...er-rule-642100
    IT'S NOT OK TO DISCUSS DONALD TRUMP'S MENTAL HEALTH, SAYS BIGGEST U.S. PSYCHIATRIC GROUP

7/26/17 AT 6:53 AM

Updated | The fitness of Donald Trump to serve as president of the United States is an issue that has cropped up multiple times during the campaign trail and Trump’s first six months in office.

But despite reports to the contrary, psychiatrists should not publicly venture opinions on Trump’s mental wellbeing without conducting a full examination of the president, according to the American Psychiatric Association (APA), the biggest psychiatric organization in the United States and the world.

The APA introduced a principle known as the Goldwater rule —named after a scandal surrounding 1964 Republican presidential candidate Barry Goldwater—which states that it is unethical for members to give a professional opinion on the mental health of public figures, without first examining them and gaining their consent to discuss the issue in public.
    […]
    But several professionals have already bucked the Goldwater rule in favor of speaking out on Trump’s mental health. A letter signed by 35 mental health professionals and sent to the New York Times in February stated that Trump’s “speech and actions demonstrate an inability to tolerate views different from his own” and that the president’s behavior suggested “a profound inability to empathize.” The professionals concluded: “We believe that the grave emotional instability indicated by Mr. Trump’s speech and actions makes him incapable of serving safely as president.”

Following the letter, the APA issued a clarification in March, in which it reaffirmed its support for the Goldwater rule. “It was unethical and irresponsible back in 1964 to offer professional opinions on people who were not properly evaluated and it is unethical and irresponsible today,” said APA past president, Maria Oquendo.
    […]

Fine, but they could certainly offer their opinions on a theoretical patient who acts in a certain manner, speaks in a certain manner, etc.

The psych doctors I've seen speak out about his mental health feel that it is their duty, above and beyond the Goldwater Rule, because they believe he is a genuine threat to our country's safety and democracy.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple. - Oscar Wilde

https://www.change.org/p/trump-is-me...ust-be-removed
    Petitioning President Trump's Cabinet
    Mental Health Professionals Declare Trump is Mentally Ill And Must Be Removed
    We, the undersigned mental health professionals (please state your degree), believe in our professional judgment that Donald Trump manifests a serious mental illness that renders him psychologically incapable of competently discharging the duties of President of the United States. And we respectfully request he be removed from office, according to article 4 of the 25th amendment to the Constitution, which states that the president will be replaced if he is “unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office.”

An Interview with Dr. John Gartner: “We Have a Duty to Warn the World About Donald Trump”

In our field, we have a duty to warn. If a patient says they might harm someone, you’re mandated by law to violate constitutionality to warn that person. We’re talking about a need to warn all people that this person is a threat to world peace because of his psychiatric disorder because of our training and experience. For us to see the danger would be like being on a train and seeing someone with a bomb and not saying anything. But as professionals, we’re being told (by other psychiatrists) if we see something, say nothing. I don’t want to have to answer my grandchildren who ask me what I did to respond to the war with China.
    I’m well aware that I’m devoting my life to a fairly hopeless cause. I think it just goes back to my Jewish roots. Never again. We must speak out. We must be a witness to the truth. Whether that will change policy, I’m not that optimistic.
    We don’t have the answer. We do feel a professional obligation to be witnesses. The person who is in control is out of control. Our duty to warn is more important than the Goldwater Rule. Our job is to make people aware. Where they go with it, we don’t have control over.

A letter to the editor of The NY Times from the former chairman of the task force that wrote the D.S.M.-IV:

<snip & BBM> Most amateur diagnosticians have mislabeled President Trump with the diagnosis of narcissistic personality disorder. I wrote the criteria that define this disorder, and Mr. Trump doesn’t meet them. He may be a world-class narcissist, but this doesn’t make him mentally ill, because he does not suffer from the distress and impairment required to diagnose mental disorder.

<snip> Bad behavior is rarely a sign of mental illness, and the mentally ill behave badly only rarely. Psychiatric name-calling is a misguided way of countering Mr. Trump’s attack on democracy. He can, and should, be appropriately denounced for his ignorance, incompetence, impulsivity and pursuit of dictatorial powers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/14/o...e.html?mcubz=1

Quote Originally Posted by epiphany View Post
    A letter to the editor of The NY Times from the former chairman of the task force that wrote the D.S.M.-IV:

<snip & BBM> Most amateur diagnosticians have mislabeled President Trump with the diagnosis of narcissistic personality disorder. I wrote the criteria that define this disorder, and Mr. Trump doesn’t meet them. He may be a world-class narcissist, but this doesn’t make him mentally ill, because he does not suffer from the distress and impairment required to diagnose mental disorder.

<snip> Bad behavior is rarely a sign of mental illness, and the mentally ill behave badly only rarely. Psychiatric name-calling is a misguided way of countering Mr. Trump’s attack on democracy. He can, and should, be appropriately denounced for his ignorance, incompetence, impulsivity and pursuit of dictatorial powers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/14/o...e.html?mcubz=1
    This article was written in February 2017. Wonder if his opinion has changed since then?

I also would ask how this doctor came to the conclusion - without examining him - that Trump "does not suffer from the "distress and impairment required to diagnose mental disorder". Would it not require examination of the patient to definitively rule out the disorder as much as it would to diagnose it?

In any case, it is obvious there is something mucho wrong with Trump. Whether it is mental illness, long-standing personality disorder, dementia or a combination - which is what I believe is going on - it is affecting all of the citizens of our country.

I would be interested in hearing what a geriatric neuropsychiatrist has to say about Trump. Because I can tell you, having observed and lived with Lewy Body Dementia behaviors in a close relative, Trump displays a whole lot of the signs.

Lewy Body Dementia Association: http://lbda.org/
    Last edited by AlwaysShocked; 07-29-2017 at 01:50 PM.

I've observed trumpita's behavior and heard the hateful words directly from his mouth. Imo he is a horrible excuse for a human. No diagnosis necessary for that. He shows us who he is every day. *sigh*

http://freebeacon.com/politics/odonn...tive-function/
    MSNBC’s O’Donnell Connects Dots to Find ‘A Decline in Donald Trump’s Executive Function’
    August 2, 2017 12:07 pm
    MSNBC host Lawrence O'Donnell theorized Tuesday night on "The Last Word" that President Donald Trump is suffering from mental illness.
    O'Donnell argued in an extensive monologue that Trump's "incoherence" led Jared Kushner and Ivanka Trump to join the White House team in order to care for him. O'Donnell further pondered their thoughts and concluded that they believe Trump's mental health is deteriorating.
    […]

https://www.statnews.com/2017/09/29/...l-health-book/
    Trump is dangerous, mental health experts claim in a new book. Are they right?

SEPTEMBER 29, 2017
    […]
    Unfortunately, while the book validates the suspicions of much of Blue America and might feed efforts to bolster the 25th Amendment in a way that could remove Trump from office due to mental incapacity, it missed a chance, however slim, to speak to anyone whose mind isn’t already made up on everything Trump.

Those suffering from “Trump anxiety disorder,” as one chapter calls it, will have no trouble accepting that the president exhibits malignant narcissism, a sociopathy, paranoia, a delusional detachment from reality, and more. But any readers who treat all those as provocative hypotheses would have benefited from an examination of alternative explanations of Trump’s behavior — that it’s done for political gain, for example — and a head-on discussion of whether professional medical opinions can be clouded by ideology.
    […]
    The psychological characteristics the experts see in Trump are not necessarily mental disorders, however. Narcissism, for instance, which many of the authors say characterize Trump to an unprecedented degree, is a personality trait, and one that almost all previous presidents and many current leaders in business and academia share to some degree, points out psychologist Craig Malkin of YM Psychotherapy and Consultation.
    […]
    It’s probably too much to ask that psychiatrists be politically neutral about Trump, since almost no one is, but because so many chapter authors call for his ouster (he “has proven himself unfit for duty”) and make non-medical assertions (“Trump is a profoundly evil man” and his election “is a true emergency”), it raises the obvious question of whether professional analysis has been influenced by personal ideology.
    […]
    It’s unfortunate that so few of the experts even consider whether the Trumpian behaviors they deem pathological might instead be crafty and calculated. Psychotherapist John Gartner’s “Mad? Bad? Or All of the Above?” takes a stab at this, but for almost all other contributors it’s a blind spot, made all the more glaring because political reporters have done terrific work explaining how Trump’s seemingly crazy behaviors serve his political ends.
    […]

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.6eac27dc0b25

Is Trump mentally ill? Or is America? Psychiatrists weigh in.

Book Reviews
    9/22/2017

THE DANGEROUS CASE OF DONALD TRUMP: 27 Psychiatrists and Mental Health Experts Assess a President

TWILIGHT OF AMERICAN SANITY: A Psychiatrist Analyzes the Age of Trump

FANTASYLAND: How America Went Haywire, a 500-Year History

The only alternative explanation offered for Trump's numerous and continuing bizarre behaviors is that they are all a careful and cunning act?

My first thought is that he is not smart enough to pull off anything like that. My second thought is that he'd certainly deserve an Academy Award were it true.

Sadly for all of us, this is no act.

As much as I am horrified by Trump at every turn, I also think it is near impossible to dx a person never having met him/her. Despite red flags a-wavin'!

That said, as a layperson I have not a doubt in my mind that this horrible person is stunted emotionally, mentally and socially. A toxic and dangerous being.

BBM for emphasis as to my OWN OPINION.

Quote Originally Posted by SeesSeas View Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.6eac27dc0b25

Is Trump mentally ill? Or is America? Psychiatrists weigh in.

Book Reviews
    9/22/2017

THE DANGEROUS CASE OF DONALD TRUMP: 27 Psychiatrists and Mental Health Experts Assess a President

TWILIGHT OF AMERICAN SANITY: A Psychiatrist Analyzes the Age of Trump

FANTASYLAND: How America Went Haywire, a 500-Year History

*raises hand*

"'Dementia!', she called loudly and with much certainty; having witnessed behaviors most egregious"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast