New York couple commit suicide, leaving two adult children behind

LadyL

Reaction score
Chiropractor Glenn Scarpelli and his wife Patricia, ages 53 and 50, have been identified as the couple who jumped to their deaths from a Manhattan office building early Friday morning

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-suicide-health-care-costs.html#ixzz4o9KKUWkt
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4739512/Couple-commit-suicide-health-care-costs.html

It is terrible that they appear to have killer themselves because they were both ill and couldn't afford healthcare. Surely they would have been entitled to some type of healthcare? I know the situation with healthcare is really bad for many people in the States.

I am confused. What does the following have to do with this couple committing suicide? The article seems to state their financial difficulties were due to unpaid taxes and a federal loan for advanced education.

"The couple committed suicide just a few hours after Senate Republicans tried to pass a bill that would repeal Obamacare.

But three members of their own party - including Sen. John McCain - voted against the bill and it failed to pass, keeping the Affordable Care Act in place for now.

Sen. McCain said that he voted against the bill because it was irresponsible to take health care away from millions of Americans without a new plan to replace it."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4739512/Couple-commit-suicide-health-care-costs.html

Snip

Public records showed that Glenn owed about $213,000 to the federal government and nearly $42,000 to the state in unpaid taxes dating back to 2003

http://ghananewsfeed.com/chiropract...their-deaths-from-a-manhattan-office-building

This cannot be the reason. $250,000 in debt and both take their own lives for that? Leaving behind grieving families. That's not an insane amount. They could have worked that out.

I think there is way more to this!
MOO

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I say that this is a murder/suicide disguised as a suicide pact.

According to the DM article, they lived close to Wall Street. That's a very expensive neighborhood. It's hard to find a studio condo for less than $1 million around there.

Yes, there's something more to this story.

Some people (maybe quite a lot of people) live above their means. This sounds like one of those cases. They were in debt yet children went to private schools.

As someone who analyzes tax returns as part of my job, this will never cease to amaze me. I can understand getting into a big tax debt one year because you didn't know better but this makes it appear that there are many years of taxes owed. Why don't people learn their lesson after the first year and make those quarterly payments...

Snip

Public records showed that Glenn owed about $213,000 to the federal government and nearly $42,000 to the state in unpaid taxes dating back to 2003

http://ghananewsfeed.com/chiropract...their-deaths-from-a-manhattan-office-building

This cannot be the reason. $250,000 in debt and both take their own lives for that? Leaving behind grieving families. That's not an insane amount. They could have worked that out.

From what I have read so far they were living beyond their means (as has already been mentioned). They did not want to change their lifestyle and pay off their debts. Also I would not be surprised if it was a disguised murder-suicide.

they've been in debt for at least 20 years, yet still sent their kids to private schools ... I wonder if they had life insurance that would pay out in suicides & take care of their adult children - could be a motive, aside from escaping their responsibilities

Chiropractor Glenn Scarpelli and his wife Patricia, ages 53 and 50, have been identified as the couple who jumped to their deaths from a Manhattan office building early Friday morning

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-suicide-health-care-costs.html#ixzz4o9KKUWkt
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

How do two people end up face up?

Men and woman body mass stuff is different?

That is just so strange

The notion of health issues in this context sound like it had to be like really bad stuff

I am sure it happens but the likelihood of two people like I dont know one having cancer and the other a another fatal illness just saying

How many floors up was it?

There is something really strange here??

It just does not seem like someone could jump and land on their on there back -- there are instincts (arms flailing legs etc) that seem like it would change one lands

two falling flat on thier backs??

Don't hit your head. People who fall just a few stories and land on their heads almost always die: According to a study published in the journal Injury, you're just as likely to survive a five-story fall landing feet first as you are a one-story fall headfirst. Although no one knows exactly how Moreno landed, it's clear he spared his skull.

The other body part to avoid injuring in a fall is the pelvis, a ringlike structure of three bones located at the base of the spine. The pelvis is surrounded by large nerves, blood vessels, and the digestive and reproductive organs, so an injury there can cause substantial bleeding, internal organ damage, and ultimately death. According to an analysis of 200 patients in the New York City area, pelvic injury is second only to head injuries as a predictor of death in fall patients.

It's difficult to land in such a way as to avoid hurting both your head and your pelvis, though—

possible to right yourself to land feet first using the types of body motions used by athletes or acrobats to perform midair somersaults.

total number of fractures doesn't strongly affect survival rates—most will heal over time; spinal injuries can cause permanent nerve damage and paralysis, but they're generally not fatal. Moreno broke 10 bones in his accident, including several ribs, an arm, and both legs.

unlucky enough to fall a long distance without anything—like a parachute—to slow you down, it's best to lie flat to increase your surface area in contact with the wind, but be sure to orient yourself feet first before landing.

four stories or less. Of those, a high percentage survive,

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2008/01/how_to_survive_a_47story_fall.html

umping from 150 feet (46 metres) or higher on land, and 250 feet (76 metres) or more on water, is 95% to 98% fatal. 150 feet/46 metres, equates to roughly 10 to 15 stories in a building, depending on the height of one story. 250 feet is the height of the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco.

Jumping from 250 feet means the speed of impact to the water is over 70mph,

Even jumping from seven stories can have a decent survival rate.

According to the DM article, they lived close to Wall Street. That's a very expensive neighborhood. It's hard to find a studio condo for less than $1 million around there.

Yes, there's something more to this story.

Lower Manhatten still has some of the cheaper apartments in NYC, depending on the neighborhood, my daughters rented there while in the New School.
There are a lot of cheap (by NYC standards) pre war walk ups, the picture of their building does not look like a million dollar TriBeCa or Soho building, it looks more like an East Village walk up.

Thanks for your informative post CARIIS, I am beginning to think Mr Scarpelli was holding his wife's arms and they both went off (maybe the roof) together -- that way she stayed face up with him holding her her face-up. He would have had to let her go eventually - she stayed face up and he only turned face-up at the last instant. I cannot think of any other way they could both hit the ground face-up. After thinking about it I do not believe they both jumped out of the open window, I think Mr. Scarpelli left that window open so it would look like a suicide pact. I thought from the beginning that this was a disguised murder/suicide, but I had not put much thought into how they could both land face-up. That could only happen if he was holding her as they went off the roof - which is murder/suicide. That means it was Mrs Scarpelli people heard scream on the way down. :(

Thanks for your informative post CARIIS, I am beginning to think Mr Scarpelli was holding his wife's arms and they both went off (maybe the roof) together -- that way she stayed face up with him holding her her face-up. He would have had to let her go eventually - she stayed face up and he only turned face-up at the last instant. I cannot think of any other way they could both hit the ground face-up. After thinking about it I do not believe they both jumped out of the open window, I think Mr. Scarpelli left that window open so it would look like a suicide pact. I thought from the beginning that this was a disguised murder/suicide, but I had not put much thought into how they could both land face-up. That could only happen if he was holding her as they went off the roof - which is murder/suicide. That means it was Mrs Scarpelli people heard scream on the way down. :(
I'm sick! I agree
[emoji20]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member