825 users online (75 members and 750 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    1,704

    Do you support the death penalty?

    I'm curious to know...

    Everyone who's seen my posts here knows that my views align heavily to the views of the Democrats. However, death penalty is the 1 exception I can think of. I am a believer in the death penalty, assuming the crime has been proven without doubt (video or photographic evidence comes to mind) that the accused is guilty. I don't agree with people being executed without proof, which does happen. And I would only support the death penalty for proven first-degree murderers and proven rapists.

    However, there is the pretty surprising fact that executing a prisoner costs more than keeping one alive for years, due to legal fees. I wasn't aware of this until a few years ago...guess I shouldn't have been so naive, lol.

    So, I would say that in theory, I support the death penalty for serious crimes where the accused is absolutely proven guilty, but it often creates more issues for everyone involved.
    Proverbs 19:17

    Buckskin Girl - Facebook page - Websleuths thread
    Arroyo Grande Jane Doe - Facebook page - Websleuths thread

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    2,709
    No, I don't support the death penalty. I don't think that it is a deterrent and I think that LWOP is fate worse than death.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    2,880
    My state (Maine) abolished the death penalty in 1887. The person who introduce the law stated:
    “Repeal the obnoxious law, and rise one step in civilization.” (William Engel)
    My ex's mother's murderers are being considered for the death penalty in NC. He wants them both to fry, because they killed his mother and the male suspect's mother. I want them to have LWOP. I want them to think about what they did to my friend every day for the rest of their lives. I want them to be be around to ask themselves if it was worth it whenever they get a letter from their kids, and miss their graduations, weddings and grandkids.

    I really have no opinion one way or another about the death penalty itself.
    All you need is love and. . . .(fill in the blank)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    1,704
    My state, Washington, still has the death penalty. However, Governor Inslee "issued a moratorium on executions in 2014."

    http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...017-story.html
    Proverbs 19:17

    Buckskin Girl - Facebook page - Websleuths thread
    Arroyo Grande Jane Doe - Facebook page - Websleuths thread

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Ridley, PA
    Posts
    2,114
    I absolutely support the death penalty, especially if you murder a police officer.
    Unless I provide a link, every one of my posts are to be considered rumor, Speculation, or simply MY OWN OPINION.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,579
    I'm a bit on the fence with this. If there is irrefutable evidence, I tend to be in favor. However, I do not favor years and years of appeals. Yet, I believe there are people on death row who are innocent and I believe some innocent people have been executed.

    I know many weren't happy when Jodi Arias was sentenced to LWOP, but I was. I would like to see her fade into obscurity.

    Some people are just not meant to be on this earth.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,579
    Quote Originally Posted by TMAN2014 View Post
    I absolutely support the death penalty, especially if you murder a police officer.
    So, you believe a PO's - any PO's - life is worth more than another's?

    Fascinating.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    1,704
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairy1 View Post
    I'm a bit on the fence with this. If there is irrefutable evidence, I tend to be in favor. However, I do not favor years and years of appeals. Yet, I believe there are people on death row who are innocent and I believe some innocent people have been executed.

    I know many weren't happy when Jodi Arias was sentenced to LWOP, but I was. I would like to see her fade into obscurity.

    Some people are just not meant to be on this earth.
    I agree with everything you said, except I'm 50/50 on Arias.

    I think Jodi herself is pleased with LWOP. Her "death is the ultimate freedom" BS...yeah, no, that's not Jodi.
    Proverbs 19:17

    Buckskin Girl - Facebook page - Websleuths thread
    Arroyo Grande Jane Doe - Facebook page - Websleuths thread

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    21,417
    Quote Originally Posted by Springrain View Post
    I'm curious to know...

    Everyone who's seen my posts here knows that my views align heavily to the views of the Democrats. However, death penalty is the 1 exception I can think of. I am a believer in the death penalty, assuming the crime has been proven without doubt (video or photographic evidence comes to mind) that the accused is guilty. I don't agree with people being executed without proof, which does happen. And I would only support the death penalty for proven first-degree murderers and proven rapists.

    However, there is the pretty surprising fact that executing a prisoner costs more than keeping one alive for years, due to legal fees. I wasn't aware of this until a few years ago...guess I shouldn't have been so naive, lol.

    So, I would say that in theory, I support the death penalty for serious crimes where the accused is absolutely proven guilty, but it often creates more issues for everyone involved.
    No, I didn't even want it for the man who murdered my brother and his wife. LWOP is a better sentence IMO. Hugs sis.
    Media thread for Abby and Libby.


    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...5#post13163455

    WebSleuths Lingo thread.

    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...bsleuths-Lingo

    Unless I provide a link, every one of my posts are to be considered rumor, Speculation, or simply MY OWN OPINION.

    We are the watchers. We are witnesses. We see what has gone before. We see what happens now, at this dangerous moment in human history. We see what's going to happen - what will surely happen - unless we come together: we - the Peoples of all Nations - to restore peace and harmony and balance to the Earth, our Mother.


    THE IGNORE BUTTON IS YOUR FRIEND!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    21,417
    Quote Originally Posted by TMAN2014 View Post
    I absolutely support the death penalty, especially if you murder a police officer.
    I actually support those that support the Death Penalty, if that makes sense. It's a personal battle with me.
    Media thread for Abby and Libby.


    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...5#post13163455

    WebSleuths Lingo thread.

    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...bsleuths-Lingo

    Unless I provide a link, every one of my posts are to be considered rumor, Speculation, or simply MY OWN OPINION.

    We are the watchers. We are witnesses. We see what has gone before. We see what happens now, at this dangerous moment in human history. We see what's going to happen - what will surely happen - unless we come together: we - the Peoples of all Nations - to restore peace and harmony and balance to the Earth, our Mother.


    THE IGNORE BUTTON IS YOUR FRIEND!


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    4,648
    It's a tough debate but I totally accept it if a child or adult has been sexually assaulted and brutally murdered.
    The man in my avatar may have killed two innocent teenagers Abigail Williams and Liberty German. If you know who he is Please call the tip line. There is a reward of $250,000 - Tel- 844.459.5786 or email: abbyandlibbytip@cacoshrf.com

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Ridley, PA
    Posts
    2,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairy1 View Post
    So, you believe a PO's - any PO's - life is worth more than another's?

    Fascinating.


    That is what you said, not what I said. Why do you need to put words in my mouth? Do you just hate cops? Try doing their job.

    Any person who has that kind of disregard for our law and kills a police officer should be subject to the death penalty. Once you go there, that tells me that the murderer has no regard for life, and no respect for our system of law, and is beyond rehabilitation. If you are beyond rehabilitation, why should the death penalty not be off the table?
    Last edited by TMAN2014; 07-29-2017 at 08:24 AM.
    Unless I provide a link, every one of my posts are to be considered rumor, Speculation, or simply MY OWN OPINION.

  13. #13
    http://www.watchmedie.net/

    This is a very interesting book on the topic of death row. It is written by a psychologist who interviews death row inmates and even witnesses some of the executions. If you are an avid reader (like me), you have to keep in mind the author is a psychologist, not a writer. There are a lot of spelling and grammar errors in the book. The way it is written allows you to form your own opinions on the subject. It is a good read, even with the errors.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,051
    I just don't get the point of the death penalty. Is it supposed to be some sort of grand punishment? It doesn't save the state money. Is it the revenge factor?
    Personally, i think you are doing a lot of these criminals a favour by killing them.

    It is based on the assumption that the worst thing that can happen to a human being is death. I am not so sure that is the case at all. Not even close! Some people will see it as being given a trip to paradise.
    "Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment" - Rumi

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,051
    Quote Originally Posted by TMAN2014 View Post
    That is what you said, not what I said. Why do you need to put words in my mouth? Do you just hate cops? Try doing their job.

    Any person who has that kind of disregard for our law and kills a police officer should be subject to the death penalty. Once you go there, that tells me that the murderer has no regard for life, and no respect for our system of law, and is beyond rehabilitation. If you are beyond rehabilitation, why should the death penalty not be off the table?
    Because you may just be giving that person a gift. Is that what you want for cop killers?
    "Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment" - Rumi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Death Penalty or ?
    By shadowraiths in forum Movie Theater Massacre in Colorado
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 08-03-2015, 11:24 AM