Thread: MD - George Barksdale, 4, Baltimore, 21 April 1969

MD - George Barksdale, 4, Baltimore, 21 April 1969

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...le_george.html

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance
    Missing Since: April 21, 1969 from Baltimore, Maryland
    Classification: Endangered Missing
    Date of Birth: February 10, 1965
    Height and Weight: 2'6, 35 pounds
    Distinguishing Characteristics: Black hair, brown eyes. Barksdale is African-American. He has a birthmark on his left calf. His nickname is Sputnik.
    Details of Disappearance
    Barksdale was last seen outside of a church in west Baltimore, Maryland on April 21, 1969. He has never been heard from again. Few details are available in Barksdale's disappearance. His case was reopened in 2005.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to anthrobones For This Useful Post:

Kat

I wish there was a better picture of him. :-( He looks like an alien in the only one that's available.

you are right ...what a terribly poor picture.

george would be about 40 now. wonder why the case was reopened in nov 2005. could there be some new evidence?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to petra For This Useful Post:

Kat

I tried to find more information. Apparently there was an article (it's no longer available), but you can see the title of it only when you click a link. His brother is looking for him, so maybe that is why the case was reopened.

http://www.thewbalchannel.com/news/4637717/detail.html

Again, the article isn't there, but the title bar of the page can be read. :/

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...+missing&hl=en

Baltimore Afro-American - Jun 7, 1969

George lived at 1015 Argyle Ave. and was last seen sitting on the steps of the church located directly across the street: The House of Prayer for all people.

This article lists him as missing at 8 or 9 PM.

A huge search was done, over 60 homes entered, almost 200 people questioned, vacant homes searched, dumpsters, trash cans, alleys, abandoned fridges', air ways.

Text of article with broken link referenced in post #4 can be found here:
    http://s13.invisionfree.com/PorchlightUSA/ar/t4881.htm

Since there are no UIDs I can think of that match his stats except for the Lorton John Doe (whose height is way, way, off) maybe he was abducted by a couple who couldn't conceive or something... but 4 seems too old...

Quote Originally Posted by Fuuro View Post
    Since there are no UIDs I can think of that match his stats except for the Lorton John Doe (whose height is way, way, off) maybe he was abducted by a couple who couldn't conceive or something... but 4 seems too old...
    That's what I have always hoped as well, that somebody who really wanted a child took him and raised him. Somehow I've always pictured him sitting outside the church after the Sunday morning service but I used an online day calculator and the 21st was a Monday, plus I see that he lived across the street from the church. I wonder how much traffic there was on that street? Maybe a lady who desperately wanted a child pulled up alongside and enticed him into her car with candy. There have been cases in the news of distraught women who have just lost a child either stealing or trying to steal someone else's child. The alternative reasons for taking a small child are too horrible to think about. In April it would have been dark or getting dark by 8pm-9pm when he was last seen. He doesn't look 4 years old in his photo; surely this isn't the only photo the family had of him. I wonder who was supposed to be minding him while he was outside, of course I realize people gave their kids lots more freedom in those days. I was a kid in the 70s and was often playing outside alone for hours, but then we lived deep in the country so we could hear a car coming from a long distance away.