671 users online (90 members and 581 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    14,163

    Unhappy Families of 9/11 Victims Can View a Chamber Storing Unidentified Human Remains

    NEW YORK - Family members of Sept. 11 victims will be able to enter a private room in the World Trade Center memorial and look through a window at a chamber storing more than 9,000 pieces of unidentified human remains, development officials said.
    In a "contemplation room" next door, the public will be able to pay respects to an empty, symbolic vessel. Development officials disclosed more information about the design this week as they sought construction bids for the memorial.

    More: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060105/...tacks_memorial
    Rest in Peace to my best buddy and baby, Buster ~ He crossed the Rainbow Bridge on Jan. 3, 2011. I miss you, Buster and love you with all my being.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    17,715
    I just dont know.......... it's incomprehensible.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    892
    Quote Originally Posted by Marthatex
    I just dont know.......... it's incomprehensible.
    Yep, I agree - incomprehensible and bizarre.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    26,902
    Quote Originally Posted by PrayersForMaura
    In a "contemplation room" next door, the public will be able to pay respects to an empty, symbolic vessel.

    I think this is ridiculous. They're trying too hard to please too many people.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    14,163
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP)
    I think this is ridiculous. They're trying too hard to please too many people.
    I agree. And on top of that, I don't really understand it either.
    It almost seems kind of disgusting as in "horror movie-like" to me.
    I don't know that I'd personally want to relive it like that all over again.
    I'd rather pay tribute in my own home or at the person's grave site or in church.
    This just seems odd to me.
    Maybe the families like it, I don't know. It just seems awfully weird to me.
    Rest in Peace to my best buddy and baby, Buster ~ He crossed the Rainbow Bridge on Jan. 3, 2011. I miss you, Buster and love you with all my being.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    26,902
    Quote Originally Posted by PrayersForMaura
    I agree. And on top of that, I don't really understand it either.
    It almost seems kind of disgusting as in "horror movie-like" to me.
    I don't know that I'd personally want to relive it like that all over again.
    I'd rather pay tribute in my own home or at the person's grave site or in church.
    This just seems odd to me.
    Maybe the families like it, I don't know. It just seems awfully weird to me.

    There are too many families and they'll never even be able to agree with one another, much less the rest of the city, state, United States. Sometimes the families just have to let go of certain things. Its hard and its unfair, but sometimes these things need to be put in perspective. Nothing will ever make it right for the families of those who died in the towers. Spending years arguing, litigating and fighting over a memorial is NOT the way to honor these people. IMO

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Tybee Island,GA
    Posts
    7,556
    I think we should have rebuilt the towers and put a memorial on the first floor. I hate the NY skyline without the towers. If feels like defeat.
    Welcome to the World Baby Caleb!!!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    14,163
    Quote Originally Posted by tybee204
    I think we should have rebuilt the towers and put a memorial on the first floor. I hate the NY skyline without the towers. If feels like defeat.
    I agree with this, also.

    It even bugs me to see old movies with the towers and to know they are not there anymore
    Rest in Peace to my best buddy and baby, Buster ~ He crossed the Rainbow Bridge on Jan. 3, 2011. I miss you, Buster and love you with all my being.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    26,902
    Quote Originally Posted by PrayersForMaura
    I agree with this, also.

    It even bugs me to see old movies with the towers and to know they are not there anymore
    I agree. Its surprising just how many movies had the towers in them. It just doesn't look right without them there.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Other End
    Posts
    25,761
    It seems kind of cold to me.. Besides, how do we know that some of those remains aren't from the highjackers themselves ..


    This post is my opinion only, and is subject to making me look totally confused


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    17,715
    Quote Originally Posted by PaperDoll
    It seems kind of cold to me.. Besides, how do we know that some of those remains aren't from the highjackers themselves ..
    Good point. I think we can honor them without having the remains there in a refrigerator. We don't even know who they belong to. If they are going to be kept like that, then they should be in a medical institution.

    Some people can be more quiet, contemplative and spiritual without that "picture" in their mind of something in another room. It's distracting, IMO.

    It would be different if they knew if was their own loved one; still I wouldn't want other families there.

    In our attempts to please a whole lotta people, do we end up with a "whole lotta nothing?" Totally artless or spiritual. I guess we'll see the final product. (oops see I already said something unpolitically correct)

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    8,276
    I guess I am the lone person to think this is good memorial.
    It reminds me of the unknown soldier tomb and every time I visit Arlington and see that tomb is gives me great respect for our soldiers.

    I personally would rather see the remains in some type of memorial that allowed for future testing like this than to sit in the medical examiners office for years.
    Last edited by mic730; 01-06-2006 at 03:41 PM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    17,715
    Quote Originally Posted by mic730
    I guess I am the lone person to think this is good memorial.
    It reminds me of the unknown soldier tomb and every time I visit Arlington and see that tomb is gives me great respect for our soldiers.
    But he's in a tomb; and it's a beautiful setting and very respectful. I have enjoyed being there also; it's a national monument.

    The other situation is just strange to me. I guess I would have to actually see it to decide; to see if it's set up in a respectful and aesthetic way. I can't quite visualize it yet.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    30,906
    Quote Originally Posted by tybee204
    I think we should have rebuilt the towers and put a memorial on the first floor. I hate the NY skyline without the towers. If feels like defeat.
    I agree!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    26,902
    Its one thing to have some sort of a "chamber" where the family members can be near the remains of their loved ones. I can understand that. Why have another "empty chamber" for the public to sit and contemplate? Can't they do that in another part of the memorial? This is what I think and it may be unpopular. . . . I think they need to find a place to store these remains. They know they can't cremate them and scatter them or bury them without the families having a fit. If that's the case, from a rational perspective, it makes sense. However, trying to pacify the "public" by giving them some sort of "chamber" to sit and stare at is completely out of line.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. KY KY - Henderson Co., UnsMale UP15652, on Ohio River island, Aug'16
    By concernedmother in forum The Unidentified
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-23-2017, 11:46 PM
  2. Dealing with opposition from victims' families
    By Snick1946 in forum General Information & Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-08-2015, 09:46 AM
  3. FL - View pictures of Florida Unidentified
    By wanttohelp in forum Unidentified "How To" & Reference Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-08-2010, 07:14 PM
  4. Prayers for 9/11 victims and their families
    By halleyscomet in forum Caylee Anthony 2 years old
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-11-2008, 12:15 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-26-2007, 07:17 AM