1277 users online (219 members and 1058 guests)  

Websleuths News

Rachel battacourt missing circa 1964

Rachel was born on December 5, 1963 to Freddie Myers, and to the birth mother. Rachel was the 5th child born to this birth mother. She abandoned the first 3, but they were legally provided homes and the oldest 2 do not enter into this story at all. I am the third. The mother kept S and Rachel. Freddie was present at Rachel’s birth. The oldest 3 siblings have the same father. S was the daughter of Rufus Battancourt. Rachel was the daughter of Freddie. When Rachel was a few months old, Freddie and the birth mother left Kansas City to go to California because Freddie had the promise of a job there.
    According to Freddie, when they got there, the birth mother went in a bar after a job, while he waited in the car with the two girls. She was in the bar a couple of hours. She came out, and told him she was done with him and to hit the road.
    She moved into an apartment complex that was close to MacArthur Park, and the closest intersection was MacArthur and Wilshire. It used to be a fancy hotel back in the day. It had been converted into Apartments. Freddie went there to try to get her to come back to Kansas with him. She refused. She had a new boyfriend that she had taken up with that was the son of the landlord. This man was hitting Rachel. Freddie beat up the man. He was taken to jail and put in jail. We don’t know what precinct he was arrested in, but they called it “The Glass House.” He was released June 28th of that year, 1964, and he went again to try and convince the birth mother to go to Kansas. She refused, and shoved Rachel at him, saying take her, I don’t want her. He wanted to take her, but was afraid that the birth mother would press kidnapping charges against him as soon as he crossed state lines. She very likely would have done this. He figured that she would contact him in a few days asking for money to come back to Kansas, so he left the apartment, and his last memory is of his daughter looking over her mother’s shoulder at him as she went up the stairs to put her to bed. He never saw her again.
    Ok at this point in the story all I have to go on is what my mother told me and she is a pathological liar, but she usually bases her stories on facts to keep her lies straight, so the game here is to separate fact from fiction.
    She went to work at the Corned Beef King at the Produce Docks at 7th and Central in LA. She says Alma lived in this apartment complex near her. She stated that Alma babysat Rachel. An interesting point. She never once said that Alma babysat S and Rachel, just that she babysat Rachel. She said that Alma was in her mid to late 40s, was overweight, and had a heart problem. She said that Alma had to go to San Antonio ( which is where my mother was from, another concidence?) to do something for her grown son, who had either gotten sick, or had an accident. She took Rachel, with my mother’s permission, and went to San Antonio, but she did not come back . My mother called her, and every time she called she got an excuse. My mother said she was coming to get Rachel. She said she hitched a ride with a trucker and went to San Antonio. I am not sure where S was during all this. She got there and Alma was gone. She said that Alma had gotten a job at the Spotted Horse Café in San Antonio. She also said that Alma’s boyfriend had said he would marry Alma if he could adopt Rachel. The birth mother looked up the son, who said that Alma had taken a baby before, and had to give the baby back. The birth mother stated that Alma had to do time in an institution for this. I don’t know if it was mental
    or penal. When the birth mother was asked about the son, she said she thought his name was something like Steve. When quizzed about Alma’s last name, she himmed and hawed and said she thought it might have been Johnson. I have reasons to strongly doubt that Johnson was the last name at all. She said this son lived in a duplex type thing. We found a Steven Johnson in the san Antonio city directory in 1964 and 1965 living at 115 Wingate which was a duplex who was listed as a day laborer. She claimed that the son told her that she thought that Alma might have gone “back to Tennessee” Again, as is this woman’s style, I think that she changed the state to a surrounding state.
    The birth mother stayed with an Aunt in San Antonio.. The family thought she was involved in the disappearance of Rachel. My experience with her is that she will give something away and then want it back. She does not care about people, and regards them as objects. Also, she never made any attempt to visit her older children even when she lived in the same town as them, and would not even drive by the house that they lived in, even after Freddie encouraged her to. The grandparents confirmed this about the birthmother, and what I know about her confirms this, and so does my Aunt, the birthmother’s sister, who said that when she left a child, she never thought about that child again. She had 11 children THAT I KNOW OF, and the searching for Rachel certainly is out of character for her. The story does not add up. I think she sold Rachel, and then changed her mind, or this “Alma” defaulted on payment.
    The family confirms that the birth mother did go to San Antonio supposedly to search for Rachel. She claims to have gone to San Antonio Police and to Bexar Sheriffs department, but that they would not talk to her. I rather doubt that she even attempted this. She was arrested during this time. I don’t know why,, but I believe it was for prostitution.
    All I have to go on at this time is the birthmother’s story now. She went back to Los Angeles. She claims that in 1967 she got a call from an unknown agency stating that Alma wanted to adopt Rachel, and would she sign termination papers. However, she was busy, and so she couldn’t take the call. She didn’t know what agency called her. She said she called around later, and no agency knew anything about the call. I asked her what she was so busy with that she could not take the call, and she said that S was running around the apartment and she couldn’t be bothered with a phone call.
    During this time, she gave birth to another child in 1966, who died all alone in a hospital in 1969 from pneumonia. She also gave birth to another baby girl, in 1967, who was placed for adoption. She married a man, who was killed in action in Vietnam during this time. Upon talking to this family, they did not know about any of the first children except S. The poor 1966 child was all alone in the hospital, and she never mentioned Rachel or cared, according to contact with the veteran’s family, who have also confirmed the birthmother’s character, or rather, lack thereof.
    Freddie tried and tried to contact the birthmother.. She never answered the phone. He finally got her to pick up. He asked her about Rachel. She told him very nonchalantly, “Oh, she is gone. The babysitter took her. I think she is dead” He asked why, and she told him that Rachel was on phenobarbital for seizures, and that she couldn’t survive without it. Freddie said that Rachel had never taken phenobarbital and that she had never been sick a day in her life let alone had a seizure. However, I do not think that she is dead. Here is the reason why.
    The sibling who was born in 1967, contacted the birthmother after doing a search. The birthmother thought it was Rachel calling her, and said that she had been searching and searching for her for years. So it is obvious that Rachel was alive the last time that the birthmother saw her.
    So I found out about Rachel by accident. The birthmother appeared cooperative at first when I wanted to search for her. She told me that her birthday was in March, and that her middle name was Lenore. I contacted John Apel, a retired detective, who searched the Missouri birth indexes, and located Rachel’s birth certificate, and we found out that Rachel’s birthday was in December. The birthmother then became very uncooperative and refused to talk any more about Rachel to me, and cut off all contact with me. She became very vindictive towards me. I had been in contact with her for about 9 months, and the vitriol she directed towards me was stunning. I found out she had 3 more kids after the adopted sibling in 1967, bringing the total up to 10. She told me about a little girl that was born in Arizona, and died there. She claimed that she and a man were traveling the country searching for Rachel. She had another daughter who died in a car crash as a teenager, and yet another son a few years later with yet another father. In searching for Rachel, we found another sibling, born in 1970, who died all alone in a hospital in Texas. The birth mother did not sign her birth certificate. The man she was traveling with signed it. She did not disclose this child’s birth to me. birth to me. This brought the total up to 11. There may very well be more.
    I started searching for Rachel because the story haunted me for some reason. Like I said,the birth mother became very uncooperative and hateful, and she deliberately gave me some false information, but there was truth in it as well. I remain convinced she knows much more than she is telling about it.
    With the help of John Apel, we were able to locate the birth certificate, finding Rachels birthday of December 5, 1963, not a March birthday like the mother had told me. Search angels helped me look. We found a couple possibilities but DNA ruled them out.
    I need to state that all my searching has been only with the help of search angels, volunteers that donate their time to help people reunite with missing loved ones. Law enforcement refused to ever get involved at any stage of the game. When Freddie was told his daughter was gone, he went to Los Angeles several times. The Police and the sheriffs department refused to take any action, as he was not on the birth certificate, and stated that he had no legal right to Rachel. I asked for help, and contacted Police in Kansas City Kansas and Missouri, the sheriffs department in Jackson County, Missouri, Police and Sheriff of Los Angeles, California, the Police in San Antonio, texas, and Sheriff of Bexar County, Texas, and even flew to San Antonio. I camped out in the Police station in San Antonio. I refused to leave until I talked to a detective. They finaly sent out a detective after several hours, and the detective told me that they would not take any action. With the help of search angel Kerry McCullough, we sent letters to the governors of Kansas, Missouri, California, and Texas. We tried to enter a case in NamUs, but it was kicked out without a Law Enforcement report.
    A common thread I kept hearing was that I had no legal standing to file a report as I was not a parent. I knew the birth mother would not help.I searched and searched for a Fred Meyer with multiple spellings (Meier, Myer, Mayer, Meyer, and all the variants, with and without an s) in the Kansas city area with no results. I met with resistance from the other maternal siblings, and I began to wonder if this was meant to be. I wondered if my search would be destructive to my sister if I found her. One night, I stood in my driveway and prayed for a sign. I asked God to give me a sign within 48 hours. If I was meant to find Rachel and continue the search, He had to let me know. Otherwise, I was going to take down all search sites, and stop looking. Not an hour later, my phone rang. “I am Freddie Meyers” the voice on the other end said. “I am Rachel’s father”
    Freddie explained to me how he had his daughter. Cheryl, go on the internet every so often and look up Rachel Battancourt, and that nothing ever came up, until that night, when all the sites and facebook pages popped up. They must have been on the internet as I was in my driveway praying. Freddie and I began to search together. Freddie still lived in Kansas City, and he teamed up with Maureen Rentjes from NamUs, but was still unable to get any interest from Law Enforcement. We continued to search with the help of search angels. Using the help of search angel Abbe Appel from Canada, who is an incredible genealogist and researcher,
    we found a red headed hazel eyed woman in Oregon who had been raised by her grandmother, who claimed to have no birth certificate, and no identification, who had a December 5, 1963 birthdate. When I contacted her, she told me she had a baby picture. I sent her the picture I had of Rachel, and she sounded genuinely shocked, and said that was her baby picture. She sounded really shocked that her grandmother would have done something bad like steal her, and we thought we had found her. She wanted us to shut down all the search sites and take down all the internet postings, as she was trying to get disability and she said more trouble with her identity would bring everything to a screeching halt and she would have to start over and she would lose all her back pay. She told us so many lies and her behavior was so sociopathic that I really thought she was the birthmother’s daughter. However, after finding out that Freddie had sent her money, I flew out to Oregon to find out what was really going on. I teamed up with some people who had been supporting her for years. We obtained DNA samples, and found out not only was she not Rachel, but she knew exactly who she was, had lied about her age and birthday, and was trying to obtain disability on top of social security. This through Freddie and I into chaos. The search got totally put on hold as we tried to right our world and come to terms with how someone could do such a horrible thing. The search group had been several thousand, and I had trouble getting it back up to a hundred. All the missing sites had her listed as found and safe. Everyone thought she was reunited. I am still trying to come to terms with how she could do something so horrible to someone so sweet and innocent as Freddie, and take advantage of a man grieving over his long lost daughter. But I have stepped back long enough, and it is time to take the bull by the horns, and get back to work. My sister is out there somewhere, and I will reunite Freddie with his daughter if it is the last thing I do.
    If you have any information that would help reunite Rachel with her grieving father, please email Redbyrde@aol.com.

this was written by her sister gina who found out about her and wants to find her.. no law enforcement agency has wanted to help her she said it's because birth mother is crazy and they most likely wont take someone else's word over mother birth father also tried to get help but nothing happened I have been in contact with her as she was duped by missing in america and came to banned by missing in america for help. i have asked her to join this site and she is in the process of doing it. ncmec did a age progression on her but shes not listed with them. this is the link to the facebook site she has created to find her sister https://www.facebook.com/groups/429503825161/

Quote Originally Posted by smile22 View Post
    this was written by her sister gina who found out about her and wants to find her.. no law enforcement agency has wanted to help her she said it's because birth mother is crazy and they most likely wont take someone else's word over mother birth father also tried to get help but nothing happened I have been in contact with her as she was duped by missing in america and came to banned by missing in america for help. i have asked her to join this site and she is in the process of doing it. ncmec did a age progression on her but shes not listed with them. this is the link to the facebook site she has created to find her sister https://www.facebook.com/groups/429503825161/
    Thanks so much for posting this. I wonder if you might be able to edit the title of the thread to follow the standard format, just to make it easier for people to understand where Rachel was missing from? Also, it may be my sleep deprived state but I found it hard to pick out the key details for Rachel's case from the long text, so it could also be helpful to make a post so that people glancing through can easily get the main info? for example:
    Name:
    Age when missing (DOB if you have it):
    Place last seen:
    Hair colour:
    Eye colour:
    Height:
    Weight:
    Any other physical characteristics:
    DNA?fingerprints?dentals?
    A short summary of circumstances around where she was last seen.

How sad that Rachel's sister has had such trouble getting traction on the case, I hope someone on here can help in some way.

Bumping up for Rachel.

I am not quite getting this. Is the writer of the first post, Freddie's daughter too? If so, why did she have to search for him and why was he looking for Rachel, but never looked for her?

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer17 View Post
    I am not quite getting this. Is the writer of the first post, Freddie's daughter too? If so, why did she have to search for him and why was he looking for Rachel, but never looked for her?
    I'm assuming Freddie is Rachel's father and Gina (the sister) has a different father.

Quote Originally Posted by FlossyMay View Post
    I'm assuming Freddie is Rachel's father and Gina (the sister) has a different father.
    Yes, I suppose so but she says in the first line that she was the third of the children born to the birth mother and Freddie. It is really not clear. Maybe she is looking for Rachel because she was her full sister.

ETA. I have just reread it and you are right. It just says 'born to the birth mother' not that Freddie was the father of the first three.
    Last edited by Jennifer17; 08-19-2017 at 12:12 AM.

Is there a missing persons report on file anywhere? Did Freddie or the sister provide dna?

I find it interesting that "missing in America" was mentioned here.

What an odd case. I'm curious.
    Unless specified otherwise and linked, my posts are simply random thoughts of mine, in no particular order, not directed at any post or poster, including but not limited to the ones directly above mine. My opinion only, yours may vary. IMO. JMO. IMHO. JMHO. MOO. Disclaimer, small print, asterisk, and etc.

I posted on behalf of one of the sisters Gina I was given her info by a man who runs the Maine cold case Facebook page. She was in a group with all of us who were trying to get Mia shut down Gina was scammed by Mia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk