MA MA - Vicke Lamberton, 24, Worcester, 12 Feb 1974

pugsley

Reaction score
Missing Since: February 1974 from Worcester, Massachusetts
# Classification: Endangered Missing
# Date Of Birth: October 30, 1949
# Age: 24 years old
# Height and Weight: 5'3, 110 pounds
# Distinguishing Characteristics: Light brown hair, brown eyes. Lamberton's maiden name is Lockwood.

Details of Disappearance

Lamberton was a psychology student at Assumption College in Worcester, Massachusetts in 1974. She and her husband were separated by February of that year. Lamberton moved out of the residence they shared with one of her brothers around that time. She stored the majority of her personal belongings in a garage owned by her psychology professor, Dr. Roger Barker. Barker assisted Lamberton when she moved out of her home. He also accompanied her to New York City, New York when she applied for her psychology doctorate at Columbia University in early 1974. Lamberton's husband suspected that she was involved in a relationship with Barker at the time, though it has never been confirmed. He and her brother saw Lamberton and Barker together at a local Worcester shopping mall prior to Lamberton's February disappearance.

Lamberton called her husband after they had been separated for approximately six weeks sometime during February. They discussed the possibility of reconciliation and Lamberton said she would see him after returning from a weekend trip to Maine with one of her girlfriends. Lamberton has never been seen again.

Her husband became concerned when his wife failed to contact him after the weekend and called the girlfriend Lamberton supposedly accompanied to Maine. The friend said that she and Lamberton had not spoken recently and that there had been no trip to Maine the previous weekend. Lamberton's husband went to Assumption College to ask if Barker had any knowledge of his wife's whereabouts. Staff members told him that Barker was in Vale, Colorado for a skiing trip. He had only planned to spend the weekend, but had been hospitalized with pneumonia and would be in Colorado for two weeks. Barker's wife had already returned to Massachusetts, however.

Lamberton's husband suspected that she was in Colorado with Barker, although this has not been proven. He visited Barker sometime during March 1974, approximately one month after Lamberton was last seen. Barker admitted that he was storing her belongings in his garage, but claimed he did not know Lamberton well and did not know her whereabouts. He also insinuated he believed Lamberton found another romantic partner.

Lamberton's two brothers retrieved her possessions from Barker's garage in 1975, one year after their sister disappeared. None of her friends knew anything about her location or her plans. Barker again maintained that he knew nothing about Lamberton's disappearance. Some of Lamberton's family members believed that she chose to leave voluntarily and found a new relationship with another man. She apparently told her husband that she considered such an idea prior to her disappearance. As a result, a missing person's report was never filed for Lamberton with law enforcement at the time she was last seen. Lamberton's Social Security number has not been utilized since 1974 and she has not renewed her driver's license since her disappearance.

One of Lamberton's brothers located a friend of his sister in 1980. The friend had not been questioned after Lamberton's initial 1974 disappearance. She said that Lamberton called her the night she last spoke to her estranged husband. Lamberton reportedly told her friend that she was going to Colorado with Barker that weekend in February 1974. The friend also said that Lamberton mentioned possible future marriage plans with Barker. Lamberton promised to call her friend when she returned from Colorado, but her friend never heard from her again.

The exact circumstances surrounding Lamberton's case are not known. She is a native of Harper, Kansas and resided in the 20 block of Westford Road in Worcester at the time she vanished. Her disappearance remains unsolved.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/l/lamberton_vicke.html

I wonder if Barker and his wife are still alive? They should interview them if they are! It sounds like she went to CO to be with him. I wonder if the wife was never really supposed to go, but found out he was going and invited herself along. Maybe he was afraid they would run into each other so he killed her. I will go check for Jane Does from CO right now!

gardenmom said:
I wonder if Barker and his wife are still alive? They should interview them if they are! It sounds like she went to CO to be with him. I wonder if the wife was never really supposed to go, but found out he was going and invited herself along. Maybe he was afraid they would run into each other so he killed her. I will go check for Jane Does from CO right now!

Not sure if they are alive now, but he was questioned. Vickie's brother used to have a website for her that went into a lot more detail. Unfortunatley I have the memory of a 90 year old, so I don't want to repeat what I "think" I read and have it be wrong.

I saw that match in CO too. I wish it had more info!

lamberton_vicke.jpg
158UFCO.jpg
lamberton_vicke2.jpg

Vicke on left and right, Colorado Jane Doe in center.

1. There is no estimated date of death for Jane Doe, but she was discovered in October 1995. Vicke disappeared in 1974.
2. Vicke was 24 years old, Jane Doe is estimated to have been 20-30.

It has been mentioned already that there is very little information about Jane Doe to compare to possible matches. Although the nose, lips, ears and hairstyle is artist's impression, I don't really think they look close enough to be a match.

PonderingThings said:
lamberton_vicke.jpg
158UFCO.jpg
lamberton_vicke2.jpg

Vicke on left and right, Colorado Jane Doe in center.

1. There is no estimated date of death for Jane Doe, but she was discovered in October 1995. Vicke disappeared in 1974.
2. Vicke was 24 years old, Jane Doe is estimated to have been 20-30.

It has been mentioned already that there is very little information about Jane Doe to compare to possible matches. Although the nose, lips, ears and hairstyle is artist's impression, I don't really think they look close enough to be a match.

Pondering, Thanks for doing the side by side. Besides the lack of info, I figured that LE was already aware that Vickie's family was looking for her in CO. and that they might have already looked into it. However..seeing them side by side, I'd like to hear more opinions. Anyone?

Thanks to Gardenmom for bringing CO Janedoe up again!

The problem is that you can't see Vickie's face well in either of the pictures. In the left one her forehead and cheeks are covered by her hair, and the right one is of poor quality. She appears to have less prominent cheekbones than Jane Doe though.

I wonder if either the Colorado Jane Doe or the disappearance of Vickie Lamberton might have been the work of Ted Bundy. Ted was believed to have begun his major killings about January 1974 in Seattle, WA, but he was also known to be a ski enthusiast. He was tied to several murders in Colorado in 1975, and was familiar with the area. Is it possible that he may have gone there in February 1974?

Another known Serial killer, Harvey Carignan - also of Washington State - was known to have been in Colorado in 1974. See separate thread in Cold Cases on Carignan.

In my previous post, I mentioned that Harvey Carignan has his own thread in Cold Cases. Actually, he is mentioned under the thread on Margaret Ellen Fox. Below is a condensation of the information posted in that thread:

Want Ad Killer Harvey Carignan

There was a serial killer named Harvey Carignan whose nickname before capture was "The Want Ad Killer".

Carignan was a veteran of the US Army. In 1950, while serving in Alaska, he murdered Mrs. Laura Showalter. He was tried and convicted and sentenced to hang. Due to procedural irregularities in taking down his confession, his sentence was overturned and he was given a 15 year prison sentence on the single charge of rape which was substituted. He was paroled after nine years.

One wonders what he was doing between 1959 and 1972? What indeed?

Carignan was known to have killed women and girls in Seattle, WA and British Colombia in 1972 and 73. in 1973 he was running a gas station in Seattle and he would place ads for help wanted, then interview girls. One of his victims 15 and another was 13.

For a while, he drove a truck, and also traveled around by car. When he was captured, there was a map in his car with detailed markings of areas where he had killed or dumped victims.

He left Seattle by late May or early June and by 28 June 1973, he was in Minneapolis, MN where he attacked a woman. He continued abducting, raping, and killing girls and young women in Minnesota and in Denver, CO through 1974. He was finally captured and in February 1975, he was put on trial in Minnesota, where he was convicted of several counts of murder and given in excess of one hundred years imprisonment all to run concurrently. He was eligible for parole beginning in 1993.

May 1974 Harvey began dating and living with Eileen Hunley, whom he picked up hitchhiking, after moving to Minnesota. On August 9, 1974 Eileen broke off their relationship. On August 10, 1974 Eileen Hunley disappeared. Her body was found a five weeks later in Shelbourne County five weeks later, her skull imploded by blows to the head. It was determined that she had been raped with a tree branch.

September 8 1974 June Lynch, 17 and Lisa King, 16, were picked up by Carignan while they were hitching rides in Minneapolis. Once they reach the outskirts of town Carignan stopped the car and beat June in the head and face with a hammer. Lisa was able to escape. While she was running for help, Carignan sped off leaving June on the road side to die.

September 14 1974 Carignan picked up Gwen Burton from a Sears parking lot. He ripped her clothing and choked her into semi-consciousness and sexually assaulted her with a hammer. Carignan dumped her body in a near by field. She survived the attack and was able to crawl to the road side for help.

September 18 1974 Sally Versoi and Diane Flynn were picked up by Carignan. He forced them to perform oral sex and would beat them if they didn’t follow a command. The two girls were able to escape when Carignan stopped for fuel.
September 20 1974 Kathy Shultz did not make it to her classes. Her body was found the next day by hunters in a cornfield forty miles form Minneapolis. Her skull was imploded.

September 24 1974 Was pulled over and arrested due to survivor’s description of his car. When police searched his positions they found a map of the United States with 181 circles. Some of these circles identify places where he had applied for jobs and purchased cars but other identify several bodies. They were also associated with areas in which other unsolved crimes against women had taking place Carignan was arrested for attempted murder of Gwen Burton who identified him in a line up.

You can find his record from 1927 thru 1997 here: http://www.runet.edu/~maamodt/Carignan,%20Harvey.htm

------------------------------
From the Minnesota Prison Locator:
HARVY LOUIS CARIGNAN: Current Status Offender Information
Harvy Carignan is still enjoying a Life of leisure at taxpayer expense in a Minnesota prison. Here is the latest information available on him. You can see his picture by selecting the below link. By the way, he has been up for parole every year since 1993. If you care to let the parole board know your thoughts on letting him loose again, just drop them a line at corecords@co.doc.state.mn.us
Name: HARVY LOUIS CARIGNAN
Birth Date: 5/18/1927
Current Status: Incarcerated
Admit Date: 6/23/1976
Anticipated Release Date **: Life Sentence - Contact corecords@co.doc.state.mn.us for release information
Expiration Date: N/A
Case Worker: P. O'Brien (651) 779-2700
Supervising Agent:
Controlling Offense Information :
Offense Description: WILLFUL KILL-NONFAM-GUN
Offense Modifier: NOT/APPL
Minnesota Statute(s): 609 185 1
County of Conviction: SHERBURNE
Court File Number:

Link to Minnesota Offender Locator:
http://info.doc.state.mn.us/publicv....asp?OID=100736

Vicke is my sister in law. She was very close to my husband, more than any of her other siblings. Some of us in the family think she was just smart and disassociated herself from her family and past. All the kids in that family suffered horrible abuse at the fathers hand and more so for Vicke being the only girl in the family. The mother was an enabler and would not leave her abussive husband even after her oldest son was removed from the home.
Cutting ties with everyone would be a good way to get past all the abuse and neglect. Even my husband did the same thing for several years.
Some family members have had telephone calls where they believe it was Vicke having someone else call to find out if her father was dead.
Maybe Baker helped her make the clean break from everyone. He would be doing a good thing if he had.
We have heard she is alive and well in California but does not desire to be found or contacted.

Patty Lockwood said:
Vicke is my sister in law. She was very close to my husband, more than any of her other siblings. Some of us in the family think she was just smart and disassociated herself from her family and past. All the kids in that family suffered horrible abuse at the fathers hand and more so for Vicke being the only girl in the family. The mother was an enabler and would not leave her abussive husband even after her oldest son was removed from the home.
Cutting ties with everyone would be a good way to get past all the abuse and neglect. Even my husband did the same thing for several years.
Some family members have had telephone calls where they believe it was Vicke having someone else call to find out if her father was dead.
Maybe Baker helped her make the clean break from everyone. He would be doing a good thing if he had.
We have heard she is alive and well in California but does not desire to be found or contacted.
Patty welcome to websleuth's I think I can speak for everyone on here we sure thank you for your interest and very nice post..Its information like this that's is very helpfull to all of us..If i can help you in any way please yell at me. thank you

Vicke Lee Lamberton
Missing since February 1974 from Worcester, Massachusetts.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: October 30, 1949
Age at Time of Disappearance: 24 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'3; 110 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Light brown hair; brown eyes.
Other: Her maiden name is Lockwood

Circumstances of Disappearance

Lamberton was a psychology student at Assumption College in Worcester, Massachusetts in 1974. She and her husband were separated by February of that year. Lamberton moved out of their residence around that time. She stored the majority of her personal belongings in a garage owned by her psychology professor.
Lamberton's husband suspected that she was involved in a relationship with the professor at the time, though it has never been confirmed.

Lamberton called her husband, after they had been separated for approximately six weeks, sometime during February. They discussed the possibility of reconciliation and Lamberton said she would see him after returning from a weekend trip to Maine with one of her girlfriends. Lamberton has never been seen again.

Her husband became concerned when his wife failed to contact him after the weekend and called the girlfriend Lamberton supposedly accompanied to Maine. The friend said that she and Lamberton had not spoken recently and that there had been no trip to Maine the previous weekend.

Lamberton's husband went to Assumption College to ask if the professor had any knowledge of her whereabouts. Staff members told him that the professor was in Vale, Colorado for a skiing trip. He had only planned to spend the weekend, but had been hospitalized with pneumonia and would be in Colorado for two weeks.
Lamberton's husband suspected that she was in Colorado with the professor, although this has not been proven. He visited the professor sometime during March 1974, approximately one month after Lamberton was last seen. The professor admitted that he was storing her belongings in his garage, but claimed he did not know Lamberton well and did not know her whereabouts.

Lamberton's brothers retrieved her possessions from the professor's garage in 1975. None of her friends knew anything about her location or her plans. Some of Lamberton's family members believed that she chose to leave voluntarily and found a new relationship with another man. She apparently told her husband that she considered such an idea prior to her disappearance. As a result, a missing person's report was never filed for Lamberton with law enforcement at the time she was last seen.

Lamberton's Social Security number has not been utilized since 1974 and she has not renewed her driver's license since her disappearance.
One of Lamberton's brothers located a friend of his sister in 1980. The friend had not been questioned after Lamberton's initial 1974 disappearance. She said that Lamberton called her the night she last spoke to her estranged husband. Lamberton reportedly told her friend that she was going to Colorado with the professor that weekend.

The friend also said that Lamberton mentioned possible future marriage plans with the professor. Lamberton promised to call her friend when she returned from Colorado, but her friend never heard from her again.

Source:
The Doe Network: Case File 737DFMA

Link:
http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/737dfma.html

i saw vickies case while doing a search to match up a jane doe with missing women from the 70s has there been any new info on the case why did the professer lie did she ask him to lie for her? are there any solid leads. patty u mentioned that family memmbers have goten phone calls to see if the father was dead were any of those traced? also you mentioned something about california has there been any solid leads on that. was the professer questioned more was his background fully checked is he still with his wife? if she ran off to another state never renewed her drivers licences or used her ss she must have goten fake ones then and assumed another identity

smile22 said:
i saw vickies case while doing a search to match up a jane doe with missing women from the 70s has there been any new info on the case why did the professer lie did she ask him to lie for her? are there any solid leads. patty u mentioned that family memmbers have goten phone calls to see if the father was dead were any of those traced? also you mentioned something about california has there been any solid leads on that. was the professer questioned more was his background fully checked is he still with his wife? if she ran off to another state never renewed her drivers licences or used her ss she must have goten fake ones then and assumed another identity
I wouldn't give much credibility to anything my sister-in-law Patty might say.
If her husband Emery was the closest to Vicke then why was it her brother Bob that has had web pages trying to find her. I am the one who gave all the information to the doe network back many years ago.
Also the living in California is garbage. There is no such evidence.
Vicke and her brother Emery were not even on speaking terms when Vicke disappeared. If I remember right it was almost a year later before he even knew she was gone.
Patty never knew Vicke and knows very little about this case.
I think Vicke's best friend Ann Lawson hit the nail on the head when she stated Vicke and Barker left for Colorado, Barker came back and Vicke was never seen or heard from again. I don't need to say anymore.
I have created a new site for Vicke.
It's url is http://www.vicke-lamberton.com

bob yoy mentioned the professer was the last person to see her was it 100% conformed that she went to colorado with him ex plane bus or train did they drive? is the professer still alive? has he been quesioned at all

Professor Barker and his wife, Louann, last lived together on August 19, 1975. She filed for divorce May 12, 1976 for cruel and abusive treatment. They have a daughter, Jennifer, born 1972.

I'm wondering if Louann knew something about Vicke's disappearance. She does need to be interviewed if we can find her.

It's kinda strange that barker would take his wife and his alleged girlfriend on a skiing trip (i'm referring to the part of the story that he was sick and staying in co for 2 wks, but the wife had returned)??

Perhaps Vickie knew about this trip, was jealous because he was taking his wife, not her, and she decided to go and confront him??

Just grasping maybe, but that might well create a situation that would lead to violence. The wife might well keep quiet because she was afraid of her husband and/or she was involved.

I know Vickie has loved ones posting here and I hope no one feels my post makes her seem to be a bad person. That certainly is not my intent.

There is some merit in what you say except for one problem.
Vicke didn't have the means to get to Colorado. She had no means of
support except for the money Barker was giving her for quote
"working for him".
Since she was never seen again after the day before that weekend.
I would have say Barker paid her way out there. None of her friends had
loaned her money.
They could be together for two weeks after his wife came back.
A likely scenario would be that after the two weeks he threatened
to dump my sister.
She then would have threatened to expose him to Assumption College;
she was his student after all.
He would have killed her to prevent his career from being destroyed.
I would assume this happened in Colorado.
I believe Vicke would have done something like that out of desperation.
Another thing that I find curious is the fact he still had all her belongings in his garage as late as May 1975 when my brother and I went to his house and picked up her clothes and other belongings.
It was like he was still waiting for her to come back for them.
This would make him look innocent. Why did his wife tolerate all of Vicke's stuff being at her house?

We went there of our own accord.
He never asked any of us including her husband to pick up her stuff.
Can someone help me out here?

When my younger brother called him a few years later he said he vaguely
remembered her as a student and this was all he knew.

Bob...good info to have.

It's fairly obvious to me that Barker has the answers to this mystery. I do think an interview with him (he is still living?) and his now ex-wife might really yield some results. Maybe not an outright confession, but "changed" info?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyberanalyst0303
Back