778 users online (107 members and 671 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 54
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Dallas, Georgia
    Posts
    8,029

    CA - Crystal Chappell, 40, San Diego, 30 July 2017

    A San Diego woman whose husband reported her missing from a trip to pick up their children at church Sunday, says he fears she was carjacked and kidnapped.

    He reported Crystal Chappell, 40, missing to San Diego police about four hours after she failed to turn up at the Church of Latter-Day Saints in Mission Valley.

    She had dropped off their two youngest children, ages 12 and 13, at church Sunday morning, then she met him at a plasma donation center on Duke Street in the Midway District. The couple and their 19-year-old son all donated their plasma and finished about 11:30 a.m., Chappell said.

    They planned that she would pick up the children from church and all would meet at home, on Bayview Heights Place in Oak Park. But about 40 minutes later, Chappell said, the children phoned him asking, “Where’s Mommy?”

    He called Crystal’s cellphone repeatedly but got no answer. He pinged her phone and saw that it was along southbound Interstate 805 at the off-ramp to Plaza Boulevard in San Ysidro, near the Mexican border.

    Chappell said he and friends checked the spot, scouring the brush for her cellphone, but didn’t find it. He’s searched twice again and talked to transients in a nearby homeless camp, with no luck.

    He called police about 5 p.m.

    The family has been getting by financially on his Social Security disability payments and their twice-weekly plasma donations since Crystal was laid off from her car sales job in August, Chappell said.

    She was driving a silver, 2001 Mercury Cougar with California disability license plate DP122PW.

    Crystal is described as 5 feet 1 inch tall, 336 pounds, with long, dark brown hair and brown eyes. On Sunday she was wearing a black and pink striped blouse and pink and blue leggings. She is missing a right side tooth and has a rose tattoo on her left breast, police said.

    She did not take along any of her medications.

    A little more here-
    http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...801-story.html
    Last edited by Harmony 2; 08-02-2017 at 09:30 PM.

  2. #2
    GigTu's Avatar
    GigTu is offline ѧѦ ѧ︵ ̧̱ι̵̱̊ι̶̨̱ ̶̱ ︵Ѧѧ︵ ̵̗̊o̵̖ ︵ѧѦ Ѧ ѧ
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    7,913
    Oh wow. That's really weird. I wonder if they ever found the phone, but where's the car? And her.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Dallas, Georgia
    Posts
    8,029
    Quote Originally Posted by GigTu View Post
    Oh wow. That's really weird. I wonder if they ever found the phone, but where's the car? And her.
    Indeed. Also, a lot of information.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaWL7TR View Post
    He pinged her phone and saw that it was along southbound Interstate 805 at the off-ramp to Plaza Boulevard in San Ysidro, near the Mexican border.
    I can't help but wonder if she ended up in Mexico and I hope Border Patrol was notified once they were told where her phone was pinged from.
    Last edited by DVJustice; 08-01-2017 at 11:49 PM.
    **When will Niki get her justice? When will they care? Murdered 4/18/2016**
    “There are many things worth living for, a few things worth dying for, and nothing worth killing for.”

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    524
    So her phone pinged but car and phone still missing?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1,688
    Two statements raise red flags for me

    "He reported Crystal Chappell, 40, missing to San Diego police about four hours after she failed to turn up"

    Was she known to drive to that area for anything? Know anyone there? If not, why not contact the CHP for advice re a BOLO? (Report says police were notified 4 hours later). Looking for a phone in the brush isn't the same as looking for a vehicle.

    “I believe somebody jumped in the car; somebody abducted her and forced her to do something.”

    Interesting comment because I am following another missing motorist case here and no one has suggested that possibility.

    I find this confusing. Something doesn't add up here.

    MOO




  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Southern Oregon
    Posts
    9,228
    More news stories linked below. I don't know what to think about this. I can't put my finger on it, but I'm getting a Sherri Papini vibe for some reason. Not that the Papini story was false, but that it was so odd like this. I can't imagine she disappeared voluntarily. But if I disappeared and my husband wasted four hours looking for my phone before reporting me missing, I don't think I'd want to return. I hope she's OK. Her family needs her and she needs them.

    http://www.10news.com/news/missing-f...nd-missing-mom

    If I understood the reporter correctly in the story linked below, police have told her husband that kidnapping is unlikely. Their 20th anniversary is in a few days. He seemed genuinely broken up talking about that.

    http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loca...437925313.html
    FOUR YEARS IS 1460 DAYS TOO LONG!!
    SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE KNOWS SOMETHING! SPEAK UP!
    STEPHANIE ANNE WARNER, 43, RUCH, OREGON

    MISSING & PRESUMED MURDERED July 4, 2013
    LENNIE AMES NAMED SUSPECT
    Anonymous Tips? Reward up to $1000
    Crime Stoppers of So. Oregon 800-850-0580

    DISCUSSION:http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...2#post10750872

  8. #8
    GigTu's Avatar
    GigTu is offline ѧѦ ѧ︵ ̧̱ι̵̱̊ι̶̨̱ ̶̱ ︵Ѧѧ︵ ̵̗̊o̵̖ ︵ѧѦ Ѧ ѧ
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    7,913
    I haven't checked a map yet. Could this be a car accident? What is the distance from home to the church to where the phone pnged?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Anaheim, CA
    Posts
    13,683
    This case came across my FB feed. Ugh. All around odd. Options to me include:

    1. Voluntary disappearance
    2. Foul play involving a robbery or whatever.
    3. Foul play involving someone very close to her.

    #2 is last on my list.

    The economic stressors in this family were intense. Holy cannoli they were donating plasma to survive! That's terrible. Just appalling that we can't do better as a country in order to help families in crisis like this. I'm sorry.
    For Elizabeth, a minor child, a victim. Thank God she is home!

    *Gitana (means "Gypsy girl"). Pronounced "hee tah nah."

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Southern Oregon
    Posts
    9,228
    Quote Originally Posted by GigTu View Post
    I haven't checked a map yet. Could this be a car accident? What is the distance from home to the church to where the phone pnged?
    I don't think this could be an undiscovered auto accident. This is a densely populated area with busy freeways in broad daylight. I'm terrible with maps, so I may have to post this piecemeal. They gave plasma on Duke Street and she left in her car to pick up the kids at the LDS Church in Mission Valley, about 10 minutes away. If she headed toward the church, she apparently left the blood bank, went east on 8 but headed south on 805 (assuming the ping is accurate). The 805 heads south before you get to the church which is just past 15. She never got to the church or home.

    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Duke...f1abc06e03!3e0

    The fastest way to get to their home on Bayview Place from the church is about 6 minutes on the 15, 805, 94. So if traffic was light, she could have picked up the kids and gotten home in about 20 minutes after leaving the blood bank. The kids called after 40 minutes.

    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Bayv...f1abc06e03!3e0

    Her husband said her phone pinged at the Plaza Blvd Exit on the 805. He said this is in San Ysidro, but the only Plaza Blvd I can find is 10 miles north of San Ysidro in National City. It runs east west and does not go to San Ysidro. It is about 15 minutes from the blood bank.

    https://www.google.com/maps/place/E+...ee886450cda935

    How long did it take him to ping the phone and start searching? My concern is that he couldn't find the phone after searching three times, but didn't call LE for four hours. If the car isn't where the phone pinged, it's somewhere else and the phone probably is too. Did he check for later pings? I'm confused.


    ETA: Addressing your thought that it could be an auto accident, if she kept driving east on 8 she could have gotten to Alpine, up in the mountains by the time the kids called their Dad. If she left the highway onto other roads at that point, there could have been an undiscovered accident IMO. But that doesn't account for the phone ping. I'm stumped.

    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Duke...6842c123b1!3e0
    Last edited by Lilibet; 08-02-2017 at 03:48 AM.
    FOUR YEARS IS 1460 DAYS TOO LONG!!
    SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE KNOWS SOMETHING! SPEAK UP!
    STEPHANIE ANNE WARNER, 43, RUCH, OREGON

    MISSING & PRESUMED MURDERED July 4, 2013
    LENNIE AMES NAMED SUSPECT
    Anonymous Tips? Reward up to $1000
    Crime Stoppers of So. Oregon 800-850-0580

    DISCUSSION:http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...2#post10750872


  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Dallas, Georgia
    Posts
    8,029
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Paradise View Post
    Two statements raise red flags for me

    "He reported Crystal Chappell, 40, missing to San Diego police about four hours after she failed to turn up"

    Was she known to drive to that area for anything? Know anyone there? If not, why not contact the CHP for advice re a BOLO? (Report says police were notified 4 hours later). Looking for a phone in the brush isn't the same as looking for a vehicle.

    “I believe somebody jumped in the car; somebody abducted her and forced her to do something.”

    Interesting comment because I am following another missing motorist case here and no one has suggested that possibility.

    I find this confusing. Something doesn't add up here.

    MOO
    Imho...The detailed information was a red flag to me. moo.
    I do hope she is found safe and unharmed.
    Last edited by LisaWL7TR; 08-02-2017 at 04:48 AM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Dallas, Georgia
    Posts
    8,029
    Jonathan Chappell has filed a missing person report for his wife, Crystal Chappell, who has not been heard from since 11:39 a.m. Sunday. She was last seen leaving the Octopharma plasma center, located at 3232 Duke Street, in San Diego's Midway area.

    Crystal was on her way to Mission Valley to pick up their kids from church, but never arrived, her husband said.

    Jonathan got a call from one of the kids waiting at the church, saying that Crystal was not there. He tried to call her phone, but she did not answer.

    He went to pick up the kids and returned to their home, where he did a search for Crystal's phone.

    http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/ca...437925313.html

    •oops late night and early a.m. I just saw these details were posted by lilibet under a different link. Sorry.
    ...but added here for easier reading.

    Last edited by LisaWL7TR; 08-02-2017 at 05:05 AM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,472
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaWL7TR View Post
    The family has been getting by financially on his Social Security disability payments and their twice-weekly plasma donations since Crystal was laid off from her car sales job in August, Chappell said.
    What? How much plasma is donated per visit?

    Crystal is described as 5 feet 1 inch tall, 336 pounds,
    There's no kind way to say this, but I really cannot see one person being able to dispose of her body. In fact I think two would struggle.

    For Brits, she was 24 stones in real money.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Anaheim, CA
    Posts
    13,683
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilibet View Post
    More news stories linked below. I don't know what to think about this. I can't put my finger on it, but I'm getting a Sherri Papini vibe for some reason. Not that the Papini story was false, but that it was so odd like this. I can't imagine she disappeared voluntarily. But if I disappeared and my husband wasted four hours looking for my phone before reporting me missing, I don't think I'd want to return. I hope she's OK. Her family needs her and she needs them.

    http://www.10news.com/news/missing-f...nd-missing-mom

    If I understood the reporter correctly in the story linked below, police have told her husband that kidnapping is unlikely. Their 20th anniversary is in a few days. He seemed genuinely broken up talking about that.

    http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loca...437925313.html
    I didn't see any tears.

    But I also noticed the kids goofing off and pushing each other in the video when they're walking out of the church strategy meeting. So the family may be somewhat different in their general demeanor.

    The LDS church is usually great at helping their own church members with various needs. I mean super great. Why were these people donating plasma weekly? I still find that horrible.
    For Elizabeth, a minor child, a victim. Thank God she is home!

    *Gitana (means "Gypsy girl"). Pronounced "hee tah nah."

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Anaheim, CA
    Posts
    13,683
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilibet View Post
    I don't think this could be an undiscovered auto accident. This is a densely populated area with busy freeways in broad daylight. I'm terrible with maps, so I may have to post this piecemeal. They gave plasma on Duke Street and she left in her car to pick up the kids at the LDS Church in Mission Valley, about 10 minutes away. If she headed toward the church, she apparently left the blood bank, went east on 8 but headed south on 805 (assuming the ping is accurate). The 805 heads south before you get to the church which is just past 15. She never got to the church or home.

    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Duke...f1abc06e03!3e0

    The fastest way to get to their home on Bayview Place from the church is about 6 minutes on the 15, 805, 94. So if traffic was light, she could have picked up the kids and gotten home in about 20 minutes after leaving the blood bank. The kids called after 40 minutes.

    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Bayv...f1abc06e03!3e0

    Her husband said her phone pinged at the Plaza Blvd Exit on the 805. He said this is in San Ysidro, but the only Plaza Blvd I can find is 10 miles north of San Ysidro in National City. It runs east west and does not go to San Ysidro. It is about 15 minutes from the blood bank.

    https://www.google.com/maps/place/E+...ee886450cda935

    How long did it take him to ping the phone and start searching? My concern is that he couldn't find the phone after searching three times, but didn't call LE for four hours. If the car isn't where the phone pinged, it's somewhere else and the phone probably is too. Did he check for later pings? I'm confused.


    ETA: Addressing your thought that it could be an auto accident, if she kept driving east on 8 she could have gotten to Alpine, up in the mountains by the time the kids called their Dad. If she left the highway onto other roads at that point, there could have been an undiscovered accident IMO. But that doesn't account for the phone ping. I'm stumped.

    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Duke...6842c123b1!3e0
    Theres a Camino de la Plaza exit right near the border, by the outlets. It's the last US exit off the 5 and 805: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TzhQCBfarZ8
    For Elizabeth, a minor child, a victim. Thank God she is home!

    *Gitana (means "Gypsy girl"). Pronounced "hee tah nah."

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. OR OR - Crystal Martin, 59, Bandon, 20 June 2017
    By LisaWL7TR in forum Missing Persons Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-09-2017, 05:52 AM
  2. CA CA - Crystal Danley, 43, Modesto, 19 June 2017
    By Gardener1850 in forum Missing Persons Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-30-2017, 09:13 PM
  3. Found Safe IL - Crystal Copple, 26, Marissa, 2 Mar 2017
    By JerseyGirl in forum Located Persons Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-03-2017, 05:30 PM
  4. Found Deceased PA - Crystal Mingucci 33, Adams County, 14 Feb 2017
    By Richrd in forum Located Persons Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-15-2017, 05:00 PM