1276 users online (202 members and 1074 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

2017.08.02 - RAISE Act

WATCH LIVE: Trump rolls out immigration reform bill
    Christina Gregg, AOL.com
    Aug 2nd 2017 11:26AM

https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...-act/23061539/

"Republican Senators Tom Cotton and David Perdue are set to join President Trump on Wednesday in introducing a bill meant to overhaul the U.S. immigration system.

The Reforming American Immigration for a Strong Economy Act -- or RAISE Act -- is described by the White House as "aimed at creating a skills-based immigration system that will make America more competitive, raise wages for American workers, and create jobs. Americans deserve a raise."'
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Trump, GOP senators to introduce bill to slash legal immigration levels
    By David Nakamura August 2 at 8:57 AM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.4eaf8b66cccd

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Trump Pushes RAISE Act to Reform Legal Immigration for U.S. Workers

[...]

“As a candidate I campaigned on creating a merit-based system that benefits American workers and taxpayers,” he said. “The RAISE Act will increase wages, decrease poverty and save taxpayers billions of billions of dollars.”

https://www.peoplespunditdaily.com/n...n-u-s-workers/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Trump’s RAISE ACT Reduces LEGAL Immigration & Prioritizes Immigrants w/ Needed Skills

The Raise Act bill creates a points-based system that favors high-skilled immigrants and potential job-creating entrepreneurs who speak English, and who will not need welfare (over 50% of American immigrants need welfare). According to Senator Perdue, the proposed system is modeled on the Canadian and Australian systems, according to Perdue’s office.

http://lidblog.com/trump-bill-cut-ba...l-immigration/

Posts are acting wonky..had to delete.

Martha's Vineyard is the story which is the same all over the US Highly skilled workers?

https://vineyardgazette.com/news/201...summer-workers

51% of immigrant households on welfare, 30% 'native Americans'

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/51...rticle/2571257

Welfare Use by Immigrant and Native Households
    An Analysis of Medicaid, Cash, Food, and Housing Programs

https://cis.org/Report/Welfare-Use-I...ive-Households

In 2012, 51 percent of households headed by an immigrant (legal or illegal) reported that they used at least one welfare program during the year, compared to 30 percent of native households. Welfare in this study includes Medicaid and cash, food, and housing programs.

BritsKate is offline Past mistakes should teach you to create a wonderful future.
    Quote Originally Posted by BayouBelle_LA View Post
    51% of immigrant households on welfare, 30% 'native Americans'

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/51...rticle/2571257

Welfare Use by Immigrant and Native Households
    An Analysis of Medicaid, Cash, Food, and Housing Programs

https://cis.org/Report/Welfare-Use-I...ive-Households

In 2012, 51 percent of households headed by an immigrant (legal or illegal) reported that they used at least one welfare program during the year, compared to 30 percent of native households. Welfare in this study includes Medicaid and cash, food, and housing programs.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't CIS a really right wing, anti-immigrant think thank? I seem to remember Trump specifically citing them and me doing research back during the campaign or shortly thereafter - we're talking eugenics level stuff they've been linked to, which I find more than a bit revolting.

My apologies if I'm not remembering correctly though.

Further, it's my understanding that immigrants - except in rare circumstances - are blocked from receiving federal funds so doesn't 51% seem unbelievably high? (That seems pretty standard - I immigrated to England and as part of the visa process itself, swore not to resort to public funds.) It's actually really difficult to find immigration studies/statistics that aren't heavily biased so I can't account for this organization's impartiality or lack thereof, but these appear to be extremely important points to ponder about the statistics you referenced:

The CIS report should have compared immigrant individuals to native-born individuals for three reasons. First, the number of people in an individual does not vary but the number of people in a household can vary tremendously. The greater number of children in the immigrant household, rather than any different level of individual welfare use, is what largely drove the report’s results.

Second, Medicaid and SSI benefit levels and eligibility are determined on an individual basis, not a household one. Many immigrants are legally ineligible for those programs but their U.S.-born spouses and children do have access. Thus, CIS counts the benefits received by the U.S.-born children even though the immigrants themselves are often ineligible. This gives an inflated picture of immigrant welfare use.

Third, it’s a lot easier and more accurate to compute the immigrant and native welfare costs when they are individuals than it is to work backward from the Survey of Income and Program Participation (SIPP), budgetary data, and imputations of program costs necessary due to a household analysis.
    https://www.cato.org/blog/cis-exagge...nt-welfare-use

ETA: Upon further research, the Cato Institute is a libertarian think tank founded by the Charles Koch foundation in 1974, so hardly a liberally biased source. Full disclosure and all that.

And this is from the Anti-Defamation League:
    Myth # 4: Immigrants are coming to the U.S. to obtain welfare and other benefits.
    The facts:
    Most immigrants who come to this country work hard to take care of their families and themselves. Many studies have shown that on average immigrants pay more in taxes than they receive in benefits, meaning the taxes they pay more than cover the cost of things like public education and healthcare.
    With very few exceptions (such as access to medical care for victims of human trafficking), undocumented immigrants are not eligible for federal public benefits such as Social Security, Medicaid, Medicare and food stamps. In addition, most immigrants with lawful status are not entitled to these benefits until they have been in the country for five years or longer. This means that Social Security is often being deducted from immigrants’ paychecks but they cannot access those benefits.
    https://www.adl.org/education/resour...nd-immigration

Trump aide Stephen Miller slams CNN star Acosta on immigration

White House senior adviser Stephen Miller lashed out Wednesday at CNN star Jim Acosta for his “cosmopolitan bias” during a heated debate in the briefing room over President Trump’s call to overhaul legal immigration.

Video at Link - http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...migration.html

I think Miller won that argument.

Australia uses a point system to attract talent for legal immigration purposes.

Good idea.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Look, if any of us wanted to mind our own business, we wouldn't be here" (carbuff 8/11/13)

This post reflects my constitutionally-protected opinion. Please do not copy it anywhere else outside of the WebSleuth forum

So who is going to work at all of the resorts and restaurants around the US? Nobody. So people will be losing their businesses. Oh well.

Welfare laws need to be changed! How many generations are living on the government because that is all they know and they grow up hearing derogatory remarks on "why should we work when the government will give it to us free".

These lifetime welfare recipients know how to play the government games to sidestep the rules. They share with newcomers to the program, so the pie continues to grow.

Many welfare recipients are able to work, they are just too lazy. If the ones that could work were working, bringing in these immigrants to fill the summer jobs would not be necessary. JMO.

If our laws were changed, people were forced to go to work because welfare has stopped, we would see a big change in the US.

My opinions only.

Two of my closest friends are legal immigrants, both high achievers. One came over from Iran to study engineering. He went on to receive two degrees, form two large companies, employing hundreds (one of the companies he founded was bought by Cargill) He has a net worth of over 100 million dollars. My other friend, from Switzerland, found employment here with Roche. I think legal immigrants are the creme of the crop: doctors, engineers, scientists, great citizens. Einstein just one name that came to mind. Another backward dumb Trump policy.

Quote Originally Posted by human View Post
    So who is going to work at all of the resorts and restaurants around the US? Nobody. So people will be losing their businesses. Oh well.
    Yes, hard to find labor for Miralago.

Quote Originally Posted by 1&2&3 View Post
    Welfare laws need to be changed! How many generations are living on the government because that is all they know and they grow up hearing derogatory remarks on "why should we work when the government will give it to us free".

These lifetime welfare recipients know how to play the government games to sidestep the rules. They share with newcomers to the program, so the pie continues to grow.

Many welfare recipients are able to work, they are just too lazy. If the ones that could work were working, bringing in these immigrants to fill the summer jobs would not be necessary. JMO.

If our laws were changed, people were forced to go to work because welfare has stopped, we would see a big change in the US.

My opinions only.
    Where are you getting this information? Do you really think people who need welfare are just lazy? Aren't the bad economy and high unemployment rates part of the reason DJT won the election? If the economy is bad, poverty is high and unemployment is high of course there are going to be more people on unemployment. You can't force people to go to work when there are no jobs. It's not because they're lazy or they like it!

6 welfare myths we all need to stop believing

Myth 1: People on welfare are unmotivated and not working.
    Myth 3: Undocumented populations are stealing welfare benefits from citizens.
    Myth 5: Once a person goes on welfare, they'll freeload off it for years.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast