Status
Not open for further replies.

Greater Than

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Authorities Believe Missing Hunt County Man May Be In Danger

chambers.jpg

March 11, 2017

Deputies searched the home of Michael Chambers after he was reported missing Friday night by family.

Based on evidence found at the home, authorities believe Chambers may be in danger.

Reward Offered For Info On Missing One-Time Dallas Firefighter

March 16, 2017

A $25,000 reward is now being offered for information leading to the whereabouts of a missing one-time Dallas firefighter.

[...]

Investigators were able to locate surveillance video of a person who appears to be Chambers leaving a local Walmart on the day he went missing.

When police initially went to the Chambers’ home searching for the 70-year-old they found a small amount of blood in his workshop, but no other evidence to suggest foul play.

2 Months And Still No Sign Of Missing Retired Texas Firefighter

May 10, 2017

It’s been exactly two months since retired Dallas firefighter Michael Chambers went missing and investigators still have no leads or answers as to what happened to him or where he is.

Quinlan police and Hunt County Sheriff’s Office investigators say they work on the case daily and have even brought in Texas Equusearch, a search and recovery organization based out of Dickinson, to look for the 70-year-old man.

[...]

Chambers was last seen on Friday March 10. Investigators say security camera footage from a local Walmart appears to show him at the store that same day, but his movements and whereabouts after are pretty much unknown.

Family won't give up on missing retired Dallas firefighter in Hunt County

July 28, 2017

It’s been 20 agonizing weeks without answers for Suzy Losoya.

She’s a daughter left in limbo, wondering what happened to her father, Michael Chambers. He’s the retired Dallas firefighter who disappeared from his Quinlan home on March 10.

[...]

The family recently hired a private investigator hoping that he can help them solve the riddle of what happened to Chambers.

[...]

“My greatest fear is that someone has killed my father and has literally gotten away with murder. That's my worst fear,” she says. “I'm convinced this was a crime. I do not think this is just a missing person.”

NamUs

Texas EquuSearch

Verified Insider: Pmerle00

Previous Thread - Thread #2

VICTIM FRIENDLY

Websleuths is a victim friendly forum. Attacking or bashing a victim is not allowed. Discussing victim behavior, good or bad is fine, but do so in a civil and constructive way, and only when such behavior is relevant to the case.

The "victim friendly" rule extends to the family members of victims and suspects. Sleuthing family members, friends, and others who have not been designated as suspects is not allowed. Don't make random accusations, suggest their involvement, nor bash and attack them. Posting their personal information, including names, addresses, and background data -- even if it is public -- is not allowed. That does not mean, however, that statements made by family members and other third parties cannot come into discussion as the facts of the case are reported in the media.

INSULTS and DEROGATORY COMMENTS

Insulting other members, and posting abusive and derogatory personal comments, is strictly against the rules. If you disagree with another member’s point of view, do so in a mature and civil manner.

If someone posts to discuss their personal problems or seeks help from other forums members, please do not respond unless you have something positive or helpful to add.

If you find yourself being flamed or insulted by another member, please do not dignify that person with a response. Notify a moderator and let us handle it.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?65798-Etiquette-amp-Information

Bringing this post by marishka forward from thread #1:

But wouldn't declaring him "dead" change the monthly pension payouts to a reduced amount? If he was still listed as missing, would the pension still remain the normal amount before his disappearance? According to our VI, they were not having any financial problems, so why the rush to declare him deceased? It would appear it would hurt more than help in regards to the pension payout.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ounty-10-March-2017-2&p=13540333#post13540333
RBBM

My head was starting hurt from trying to "decode" all the legal "stuff" ;), then I found this (All BBM):
"FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) Regarding the 100% Joint and Survivor Option

Q. What is the 100% joint and survivor annuity option?
A: The 100% joint and survivor annuity option is a pension payment method that will pay you an actuarially reduced pension and continue 100% of your monthly benefit to your Spouse after your death. The Spouse remains eligible for the benefit supplement and annual adjustments. Neither the Pensioner nor the Spouse is eligible for minimum benefits. With this option, you would receive less money while alive, but your Spouse would receive a larger benefit amount after your death than under the 50% survivor benefit. Under the survivor benefit provision, you would receive more while alive, but your Spouse would receive less benefit after your death.

Q: Why is the 100% joint and survivor annuity option benefit reduced from the standard benefit amount?
A: Under the 50% survivor provisions, the Pension System pays the Member his or her normal monthly pension over their lifetime, but only one-half of that benefit to their Spouse after your death. Your pension benefit in the 100% joint and survivor annuity option is reduced from the normal monthly benefit amount so that the System can continue full payment in the same amount to your Spouse after your death without increasing the cost to the Pension System.

Q: What is the survivor benefit to a Spouse?

A: The survivor benefit pays 50% of a Pensioner's pension amount to the Pensioner's Spouse after the Pensioner's death. Any eligible Children (generally under age 19) share in the remaining 50% of the Pensioner's benefit.

Q: How much would my benefit be reduced?

A: The monthly benefit is actuarial reduced based on your and your Spouse's ages and life expectancies. Our actuary has provided age-based actuarial tables for calculating the reduction. Generally, the younger your Spouse, the greater the reduction from the unreduced benefit.

Q: When can I choose this option?

A: You can choose the joint and survivor option when you retire or at any time after you retire under the conditions explained below:

1. You may elect the option when you leave Active Service and apply for pension benefits. You cannot make the election at the time you go into DROP or while in Active DROP.

2. You also may elect this option after you retire, however, you must meet a one-year qualifying period. If you die within one year after making the election, the option becomes void and your Spouse is not eligible for the 100% J&S option. In this event, any survivor benefit payable to your Spouse would revert back to the 50% benefit, or special survivor benefit, if eligible and the total amount of the benefit reduction resulting from the selection of the 100% J&S option during this period will be refunded to your designated beneficiary.

-SBM for space-

Q: How does the 100% joint and survivor annuity option work?

A: If you choose the 100% joint and survivor annuity option, you will receive a reduced monthly benefit. In exchange for the reduction, your Spouse will receive a monthly survivor benefit after your death in the same monthly amount you had been receiving before your death. If there are eligible surviving Children, your Spouse receives one-half of the Pensioner's monthly benefit and the eligible Children share in the remainder of your benefit. When the Children are no longer eligible, the full amount of the payment becomes payable to your Spouse.

Under the survivor benefit provision (when not eligible for the special survivor benefit), a surviving Spouse typically receives only 50% of the Pensioner's benefit, whether or not there are Children eligible to receive survivor benefits. If otherwise eligible, you and your Spouse remain eligible for the benefit supplement and annual benefit adjustments. (See example below.)
Additional information: https://www.dpfp.org/FAQs/FAQ_5.html

So I guess there are three options that have been identified so far: The option above, lump-sum payout at death, or the regular, 50% survivor benefit option.

Also mentioned under "Sec. 6.06. General Rules Governing Death Benefits" here: https://www.dpfp.org/images/PDFs/Plan/DPFP Plan Document_09082016.pdf

I know our VI is going through a lot right now, but I'm still interested in who all had keys to the shop that the family is aware of.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Maybe we need a parade for Papaw, the car club would probably be glad to help, you could release balloons etc. maybe even have a fire truck! Invite the news media and let it be known that we will never stop looking for Papaw!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe we need a parade for Papaw, the car club would probably be glad to help, you could release balloons etc. maybe even have a fire truck! Invite the news media and let it be known that we will never stop looking for Papaw!!

Love this idea!

*All statements are that of my own opinion unless otherwise specified.*

I know our VI is going through a lot right now, but I'm still interested in who all had keys to the shop that the family is aware of.

As LE has never considered anything criminal happening, I wonder if that question was ever even posed? It also makes me wonder how they were able to conclude that no one else was present, when Michael disappeared? Quite perplexing IMO.

On Hunt County Scanner fb there is an interesting post and comments posted July 27 at 11:03 pm about an asphalt/rock driveway crew pulling scams in the area. Wonder if this could have happened to Papaw but they said there were no tire tracks.

As LE has never considered anything criminal happening, I wonder if that question was ever even posed? It also makes me wonder how they were able to conclude that no one else was present, when Michael disappeared? Quite perplexing IMO.

Technically, they couldn't even validate he made it home from Wal Mart. I mean his vehicle was there and locked but someone else could have driven it home. No one saw him at home after the Wal Mart trip. So, I don't know if they can't even say that with certainty, how they can say he wasn't alone or it wasn't criminal. To me, the only evidence they have that lead them to initially believe it may have been a case of him leaving against his will ( the blood) is the only evidence they have period....and they should err on the side of caution and deem it criminal and treat it as such. Doing the opposite could have disastrous consequences, IMO.

They must have some proof/evidence to declare him dead, otherwise they wouldn't do it.

I hope his soul rests in peace!

Wonder if all of MC shovels were accounted for and looked at for fresh dirt. I know it sounds horrible but he may have been murdered and burried with his own shovel . I hope not

Friendly reminder from The Rules - Social Media:

Approved SM Pages/Profiles

Public Pages
Mainstream Media (MSM)
Law Enforcement (LE)
Group support pages for victims, such as "Help Find..." and "Justice for...”
Legitimate non-profit organizations who provide assistance and support to victims and their families (e.g., Klass Kids, Texas Equusearch).

• Links may be used to direct members to a post by the owner or an admin of an approved social media page/profile.
  • Posts by an owner or admin may be copied or quoted. This refers primarly to posts or tweets by MSM reporters, and announcements by law enforcement, the immediate family, or the admin of a group support page.
  • Paraphrasing is okay.
  • ***NOTE: Comments and posts by readers/visitors of these pages are not allowed to be quoted, copied or referenced. Just don’t mention them.
  • Regarding group support pages, i.e., "Help Find..." and "Justice for...”: If at any time the WS staff determines a group support page to be inappropriate, a notice will be posted in the thread stating that the page is no longer approved.

Not Allowed

Social media pages that fall in the following categories are OFF LIMITS.

Family members of either a victim or a suspect
Friends of either a victim or a suspect
Most any other individual

Don't link to these pages, nor make reference to information you find on them.

So how did she know that he had gone to Walmart when she came home and he wasn't there?

So how did she know that he had gone to Walmart when she came home and he wasn't there?

The things Michael bought had been put away in their proper place and the receipt was thrown in the trashcan.

A person would assume he had been home since his truck was there. Maybe he left and returned, maybe not. But why would a person check to see if he had gone to Walmart?

In this case it triggered a search of surveillance tape which confirmed he had gone to that store and the time. The police concluded he had not been followed. More than anything else it establishes a timeline. Now why do we need that? <sarcasm>

ETA: we know he left because he was seen on surveillance tape. A duh moment for sure. :D I was trying to look at it as you would see it when you first came home.

IMHO all focus should be taken away from the house and workshop, I believe he left, went to Walmart and was then killed somewhere out that way. He was not abducted from his workshop, he did not wander away. No abductor locked the doors, those doors were locked when MC left for Walmart, <modsnip>. IMHO.

I think it is human nature for most people to believe and trust what they are told. Especially by family members you have always trusted. But when others start pointing things out, it makes you re-evaluate things you didn't originally think of or were not even questioning. At Websleuths, we are used to analyzing and disecting everything. Most people don't do that.

<modsnip>. I want him found. I swear when I see his picture, I want to sit and talk to him while we drink coffee. He looks like a dude that has interesting life lesson stories and would treat all girls under 50 like a daughter and call them all sweetheart, in the kindest of ways. Show us the way to you, Pawpa!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I think it is human nature for most people to believe and trust what they are told. Especially by family members you have always trusted. But when others start pointing things out, it makes you re-evaluate things you didn't originally think of or were not even questioning. At Websleuths, we are used to analyzing and disecting everything. Most people don't do that.

<modsnip>. I want him found. I swear when I see his picture, I want to sit and talk to him while we drink coffee. He looks like a dude that has interesting life lesson stories and would treat all girls under 50 like a daughter and call them all sweetheart, in the kindest of ways. Show us the way to you, Pawpa!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

My belief, my opinion, is that there are far too many unknowns.

We don't know if Michael left on his own. We don't know if he will one day return to sit down with mpnola, (or any of those who have not given up on MC), share a carafe of coffee, and discuss everything he missed during his time away.

We do not know the significance of the blood. Nor do we know if LE tracked down any other surveillance tapes from the town. We don't know if any dusting was done on MC's car. Or if any dusting was ever done anywhere on the property.

If you could ask Sheriff Meeks one question, what would it be? Hoping, of course, that he could, and would, be forthcoming in his answers?

The more unknowns we answer, the closer to sleuthing you all can perform.

My belief, my opinion, is that there are far too many unknowns.

We don't know if Michael left on his own. We don't know if he will one day return to sit down with mpnola, (or any of those who have not given up on MC), share a carafe of coffee, and discuss everything he missed during his time away.

We do not know the significance of the blood. Nor do we know if LE tracked down any other surveillance tapes from the town. We don't know if any dusting was done on MC's car. Or if any dusting was ever done anywhere on the property.

If you could ask Sheriff Meeks one question, what would it be? Hoping, of course, that he could, and would, be forthcoming in his answers?

The more unknowns we answer, the closer to sleuthing you all can perform.

The one question I would ask is what evidence was provided as proof MC is deceased to get that death certificate. The answer to that will answer some questions because either there is evidence we don't know about or some information was falsified to be able to get the paperwork processed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail