986 users online (158 members and 828 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2017.08.03 - NAACP Warning for visiting Missouri

NAACP Warns Black Travelers To Use 'Extreme Caution' When Visiting Missouri

http://www.npr.org/2017/08/03/541382...iting-missouri

The NAACP has issued a travel advisory for the state of Missouri, citing recent "race-based incidents" and new state legislation that makes it harder for fired employees to prove racial discrimination.

It's the first time the national civil rights organization has issued a travel warning for an entire state, the Kansas City Star reports.

What must it be like to live there every day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, the State can either take immediate actions to vigorously address the concerns of the NAACP, or be at risk for embargos that could seriously impact the economic well being of the State. I'm an amateur so just speculating, but seems highly likely to me. I'm confident the good people of MO will do whatever it takes to insure the safety and well being of all visitors and citizens. Branson, in particular, relies on tourism, and cant risk travel concerns.
    My posts are opinion and speculation only, and may not be used for any purpose outside of this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by elfie View Post
    NAACP Warns Black Travelers To Use 'Extreme Caution' When Visiting Missouri

http://www.npr.org/2017/08/03/541382...iting-missouri
    Should be on the CIA list of places to stay away from if you are a tourist. Or is there an international site that advises tourists?

Quote Originally Posted by human View Post
    Should be on the CIA list of places to stay away from if you are a tourist. Or is there an international site that advises tourists?
    The State Department advises Americans about where not to go.

I think in the last year or two a few countries advised their citizens to stay out of the USA but I've forgotten which.

St. Louis chapter wants NAACP to revoke its Missouri travel advisory

The local St. Louis branch of the NAACP is calling for the organization to revoke its Missouri travel advisory, opposing the group's position at the state and national level.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/03/us/st-...rnd/index.html

The German contributions were quite entertaining; but the article does put things in perspective, doesn't it?
    My posts are opinion and speculation only, and may not be used for any purpose outside of this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by scmom View Post
    St. Louis chapter wants NAACP to revoke its Missouri travel advisory

The local St. Louis branch of the NAACP is calling for the organization to revoke its Missouri travel advisory, opposing the group's position at the state and national level.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/03/us/st-...rnd/index.html

"The NAACP advisory urges caution for people of color traveling through Missouri. It was issued by the organization's Missouri state conference in June after a bill changing the standard for employment discrimination cases passed in the state. The NAACP came out in support of the advisory at its annual convention last week."

I am not sure how that bill, challenging the standard for employment discrimination cases, affects tourists in any way?
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

It does not seem that this bill, which changes the standard for discrimination cases, is such a bad thing. The NAACP travel warning makes it seem like it is an evil, prejudicial dangerous new bill. That is not what it appears to be, in my opinion.

Prior to the signing of the new law, Missouri was seen as one of the easiest places in the nation for an employee to sue an employer for discrimination. That dubious distinction can be traced back to a 2007 ruling by the Missouri Supreme Court, in which the Court applied an extremely low, extremely plaintiff-friendly standard of proof to claims arising under the Missouri Human Rights Act (“MHRA”). Under that “contributory factor” standard, a plaintiff who sued his or her employer for illegal discrimination or harassment only had to prove his or her membership in a protected group contributed to the employer’s adverse employment action. It is fair to say thhat no other state in the country had a legal standard of proof as low as Missouri. Prior to 2007, Missouri courts had utilized a standard and an analytical method modeled on that used by federal courts and the vast majority of states.

This method requires each party to present a sound legal position to meet its burden, unlike the method currently used in Missouri which frequently allowed a plaintiff to prevail with even the most illusory and unsupported allegations of discrimination.

One of the most significant changes in the law is that Missouri courts will have greater flexibility in granting summary judgment, thereby weeding out frivolous claims without the expense and difficulty of a trial. During the decade-long run of the contributory factor standard, it was exceedingly rare for a Missouri court to grant summary judgment on an MHRA claim as the standard of proof was simply so low that Missouri courts would submit almost every claim to a jury, even where the claim was obviously poor. This led to an atmosphere of rampant litigiousness in which plaintiffs demanded substantial settlements even for extremely tenuous claims. If the defendant was unwilling to pay what was asked, it would have to take its chances in a system where even a very small verdict could have six- or seven-figure consequences.

https://www.mcmahonberger.com/govern...bill-into-law/
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

In my opinion, you have to take the bill in to the context of history, of overall discrimination against people of color in that state. Reviewing it out of context to the imbalance of freedom is important IMO.

Editing to add - wow, post # 4444. The angels showed up! : )

Quote Originally Posted by bluesneakers View Post
    The State Department advises Americans about where not to go.

I think in the last year or two a few countries advised their citizens to stay out of the USA but I've forgotten which.
    Sage advice, given the current caca show. IMO.
    Those who do not feel pain seldom think that it is felt.
    -Samuel Johnson

This USA article re travel warnings is interesting.It talks about the myths such as a warning may not mean the whole country is off limits,

I inow many people are wary of traveling to the US. I met a young man from the Netherlands who is going to Iran. He said that the Iranians love the Dutch. Perceptions certainly do vary for people. So interesting to meet people from other parts of the world and hear what they think.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ning/78637736/

Quote Originally Posted by rosesfromangels View Post
    In my opinion, you have to take the bill in to the context of history, of overall discrimination against people of color in that state. Reviewing it out of context to the imbalance of freedom is important IMO.

Editing to add - wow, post # 4444. The angels showed up! : )

Context is everything, agreed.

(I love when numbers do that, too. Angels!)
    -Samuel Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by human View Post
    This USA article re travel warnings is interesting.It talks about the myths such as a warning may not mean the whole country is off limits,

I inow many people are wary of traveling to the US. I met a young man from the Netherlands who is going to Iran. He said that the Iranians love the Dutch. Perceptions certainly do vary for people. So interesting to meet people from other parts of the world and hear what they think.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ning/78637736/
    OT, but of interest (to me, lol): Tulips, which Holland (Netherlands) is known for, originated in Persia (Iran).
    -Samuel Johnson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast