1048 users online (209 members and 839 guests)  

Websleuths News

BetteDavisEyes is online now "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."

Political Party Realignment

Aug 6 2017, 11:51 am ET

Political Parties Near Realignment After Twenty Years of Sorting

by Dante Chinni and Sally Bronston

WASHINGTON — On the surface, the American political system looks fairly steady, with two well-known behemoths, the Democratic and Republican parties, fighting for control.

But those two parties have changed a lot in recent years and those changes have remade American politics.

Philosophically and geographically the Democrats and Republicans look very different than they did in the 1990s and you can see it by looking at maps for the House of Representatives from the 2016 and 1998 elections (the last Congress of the 20th Century)...

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/elec...orting-n789951

Here's an in-depth interview for anyone who wants to take the time to read some background of how and why our political parties have ended up where they are today.

This no-holds-barred interview was with General Alexander Haig for the oral history section of the Richard Nixon Library. Haig was in his 80's at the time, in 2007. He was a man of strong character and equally strong opinion. He was brought in to act as Nixon's chief of staff when Watergate was starting to collapse the Nixon Presidency.

This 70 (!!) page transcript is the "sanitized version". I'd just love to read the non-sanitized version because he is quite frank in his opinions. He talks about Russia under Putin, Korea, and China. And lots about Nixon and how his cabinet members would sometimes simply ignore him.

https://www.nixonlibrary.gov/virtual...2006-11-30.pdf

Haig later went on to serve President Reagan, about whom he tells some eye-opening stories about the president's exhaustion level during foreign trips.

Maybe lighter & darker were not the right words. The non white percentage of the American population is increasing. The democratic percentage of white votes needed to win an election is decreasing.
    I understood every word you said. It was the order that you said them that has me confused.

Quote Originally Posted by bwt42 View Post
    Maybe lighter & darker were not the right words. The non white percentage of the American population is increasing. The democratic percentage of white votes needed to win an election is decreasing.
    And the non-whites are all Democrats but the whites are Republicans, and this is your opinion, or... ?
    Toxic masculinity ruins the party again!

I didn't comment on the change of the racial make up over the last 50 years, so unsure of what source or link your looking for.

You posted statistical info re:the last 50 years. Polivent TOS says we may ask for factual evidence. Thanks in advance!
    "When people learn no tools of judgment and merely follow their hopes, the seeds of political manipulation are sown." -Stephen Jay Gould

July 4, 1776-January 20, 2017
    RIP

Quote Originally Posted by EllieBee View Post
    You posted statistical info re:the last 50 years. Polivent TOS says we may ask for factual evidence. Thanks in advance!
    That's why I think it's just a guess.
    Toxic masculinity ruins the party again!

Sorry but my copy and paste is not working. The center for American progress in a piece titled "What about the white vote" cited the 50 years & the percentage of the white vote needed by a democratic candidate is decreasing.
    I understood every word you said. It was the order that you said them that has me confused.

Thanks for clarifying
    I speak fluently in reaction gifs.

"gangs"

Sorry but my copy and paste is not working. The center for American progress in a piece titled "What about the white vote" cited the 50 years & the percentage of the white vote needed by a democratic candidate is decreasing.
    https://www.americanprogress.org/iss...-white-voters/

bwt42:
    What About White Voters?
    Posted on February 5, 2016, 9:03 am
    Most analyses of America’s demographic revolution focus on the fact that people of color will comprise a majority of the country’s population in about 30 years—specifically, 2044 by the U.S. Bureau of the Census’ latest estimates. A question often underlying these analyses is: “How will this browning of America affect our country’s politics?” While the explosive growth of this group is a transformative element of modern American politics, another important and often overlooked question is: “What about white voters?” That is, how will the voting tendencies of whites affect election outcomes as our country moves toward becoming a majority-minority nation?
    The majority of whites have voted Republican in every election over the past 50 years, but a meaningful minority of whites support the Democratic nominee every election.
    […]

Double posting my response to your double post.

Quote Originally Posted by SeesSeas View Post
    bwt42:
    “How will this browning of America affect our country’s politics?” . . .

What About White Voters?
    Posted on February 5, 2016, 9:03 am
    Most analyses of America’s demographic revolution focus on the fact that people of color will comprise a majority of the country’s population in about 30 years—specifically, 2044 by the U.S. Bureau of the Census’ latest estimates. A question often underlying these analyses is: “How will this browning of America affect our country’s politics?” While the explosive growth of this group is a transformative element of modern American politics, another important and often overlooked question is: “What about white voters?” That is, how will the voting tendencies of whites affect election outcomes as our country moves toward becoming a majority-minority nation?
    The majority of whites have voted Republican in every election over the past 50 years, but a meaningful minority of whites support the Democratic nominee every election.
    […]

Since you brought it up..
    According to your link, Trump got 54% of white votes and Clinton got 40%.
    The other side of this is, "What About the Racial Minority Voters?"

Trump got 8% of the African American vote, 27% of Hispanic Americans and 27% of Asian Americans. His Asian vote was the least of any candidate that has won the presidency since tracking them began in 1992.
    Bush and Reagan got 9% of African Americans and did far better with Hispanic Americans, 35% and 34%.

Trump ran on a racist platform, with a big dose of sexism thrown in, and he outright lied to gay people.

Trump won with lowest minority vote in decades, fueling divisions

The racial polarization behind Trump’s victory has helped set the stage for tensions that have surfaced repeatedly since the election, in white supremacist victory celebrations, in anti-Trump protests and civil rights rallies, and in hundreds of racist, xenophobic and anti-Semitic hate crimes documented by the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC), which tracks extremist movements. The SPLC reports there were 701 incidents of “hateful harassment and intimidation” between the day following the Nov. 8 election and Nov. 16, with a spike in such incidents in the immediate wake of the vote.
    “We willed Donald Trump into office; we made this dream our reality,” NPI President Richard Spencer said. After outlining a vision of America as “a white country designed for ourselves and our posterity,” he closed with, “Hail Trump! Hail our people! Hail victory!”
    John Roberts, a top officer in the Ku Klux Klan affiliate planning the December rally to celebrate Trump’s election, says the group is committed to non-violent demonstrations, but he sees Trump’s election as likely to bring a new era of political conflict. And much of the strife, he says, will be centered around racial divisions.

“Once Trump officially takes office, there is going to be a boiling over at some point in time,” Roberts says. “Who knows when that’s going to be, but it’s not going to be pretty.”
    It's all MOO

Imho, the Democrats portray the white man as their enemy in appealing to their constituencies & the Republicans portray non whites as threatening in appealing to theirs. I'll let y'all make up the labels.

FACT: Only 19.41% of total US Citizens made the effort to place their vote for Trump, and he won. GET OUT AND VOTE!

Trump/Russia Timeline: http://billmoyers.com/story/trump-russia-timeline/