NM NM - Benjamin Smith, 24, Tijeras, 4 July 2017

doodles1211

Reaction score

Ben went on a short walk to a nearby park and never returned. He did not take his cell phone or anything of value but is believed to have his wallet with ID and EBT card. It's reported that he was in good spirits and was looking forward to going to a baseball game and see fireworks that evening.
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/39185/12?current_page=contacts

Article done by the woman/friend he lived with...

https://www.abqjournal.com/1030175/other-side-of-missingperson-case.html

Ben had been homeless before. He can sleep anywhere, even sitting up. We imagined him napping under a tree, oversleeping and deciding to wait to return home at daylight...
Ben has a serious life-threatening medical condition and requires a regimen of medications that he takes religiously at 8:30 each night, setting an alarm on his phone, carrying his plastic gray satchel of pill bottles with him should there be any chance he might not be home in time to take them. That day, he did not take his pills with him.

NAMUS page..

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/39185/12?current_page=contacts

Joline's accounts are heartbreaking.

There are a few avenures I hope they are exploring.

1. "And then when his living arrangement became untenable in May, he asked if he could move in." I wonder if this was a failed relationship and there could be issues stemming from that?
2. Who was he meeting in the park? A quick trip to the park before a fun evening out sounds like a drug buy to me. JMO.

The article she wrote said that he was good friends with her son, who had passed away. Sounds like she was more of a motherly figure to him. But, one never knows!

The article she wrote said that he was good friends with her son, who had passed away. Sounds like she was more of a motherly figure to him. But, one never knows!

Sorry I wasn't more clear! I meant the living arrangement he had prior that became untenable, I wonder if it was due to a breakup.

Benjamin Smith

smith_benjamin.jpg
smith_benjamin2.jpg
smith_benjamin3.jpg
smith_benjamin5.jpg
smith_benjamin6.jpg

• Missing Since 07/04/2017
  • Missing From Tijeras, New Mexico
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Date of Birth 05/16/1993 (25)
  • Age 24 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'6 - 5'9, 130 - 140 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description An off-white t-shirt with illustrations reading "Endangered Feces", khaki shorts, almost new black Champion sneakers with blue trim and blue soles, and possibly a silver bracelet with a multicolored stone.
  • Medical Conditions Smith suffers from a life-threatening medical condition and requires multiple medications to control it; he made sure to take them at the same time every evening, carrying them with him if necessary. He left his medications behind.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Sandy brown hair. Smith has different colored eyes; one is blue and one is green. His nickname is Ben.
Details of Disappearance
Smith was last seen in Tijeras, New Mexico on July 4, 2017. He didn't take his personal belongings, cellular phone or anything of value with him, but may have had his wallet and electronic benefits transfer (EBT) card. He has never been heard from again.

At the time of his disappearance, he was living with the mother of a deceased friend. He'd been living at that house, near N.M. 337 and Raven Road, for a few months. At 4:00 p.m., after having hot dogs and some beer, he left to walk to the park. He was in a good mood and looking forward to going to an Albuquerque Isotopes baseball game and fireworks that evening. The game was supposed to start at 5:30, and he promised to be back in time, but he never returned.

Authorities believe Smith may be in danger, as he left behind his medication. The woman he was living with describes him as a very pleasant person and a "free spirit" but not the kind of person to just disappear. His case remains unsolved.

Benjamin Smith – The Charley Project

Bernalillo County Sheriff's Office

Last edited:
We have the link for the "Help Find Ben Smith" FB page that @Darling136 found, but here is Benjamin's own FB page:

Benjamin Smith (Benjamin Smith)
https://www.facebook.com/missingbensmith/ (Help Find Ben Smith, repeated for reference)

Other people have posted messages to Benjamin on his own FB page, so there are many posts after his disappearance, just not by him.

JULY 6, 2017
Man who disappeared may be in danger
[...]

Volunteers met at Mars Court around 1 p.m. to help with a search and rescue operation into David Canyon and the Cibola National Forest.

[...]

Google Maps - Raven Rd & NM-337, David Canyon, and Cibola National Forest

Why did they search there? Tips or sightings?

I'd love to see the Isotopes play, missing the Land of Enchantment

I have to wonder if the gentleman walked away from his life-threatening medical condition on his own terms....

Obviously this young man has a good sense of humor. I hope he's out there safe and enjoying life somewhere, but he could be a victim, too. It's concerning that he left on foot without medications, phone, or belongings.

I wonder if his electronics were checked to try to determine who he was meeting (if anyone). There are enough reasons to be concerned for his safety.

Did LE look for camera footage (residential or business) in the area at the time?

I'm happy to see this case here. I was Googling for unidentified persons to match to him and came across this during my searches.

Ben was a friend of mine. Honestly, after years of not wanting to think it, I think he was likely the victim of a drug deal gone bad at the park on Raven Road in Tijeras or he overdosed somewhere in the woods. Joline's son- who he was close with- had overdosed on heroin in the house a few years prior and she was housing several other known drug users during the time Ben was living with her. Ben had previous drug issues and being around the influence constantly might have led to him redeveloping a habit.

There were no cameras for businesses in the area- it is a remote neighborhood. I know cops questioned some neighbors- and one did say he saw him walking around 4pm on the west side of the park. There was a maybe sighting on him at in Zuzax at a gas station (about 20 minutes away), but video from there showed it was not him. They also found a skull in late 2018 that got some of us hopeful they maybe found him, but it was determined to be ancient (not uncommon for this area).

We spent days combing that entire neighborhood. We did find a pair of khaki pants that may have been his, but nothing ever came of that. We even got a drone to get to places we couldn't access due to gates or terrain. The cops used dogs a few times, but nothing ever came of that either. We never found a trace of him. He literally disappeared without leaving a shred of evidence behind. No cards in his wallet were used after July 4th, 2017. People accessed his social media and texts and nothing had any red flags, so if he planned anything, he didn't leave a trace of that either. To my knowledge, the police checked to see if his prescriptions had been refilled and they had not.

A group of us also spent days in downtown Albuquerque, posting flyers in the neighborhoods he liked to hang out in and the cafes he liked. We also interviewed homeless people around different areas in case maybe he had run off (he'd been homeless, so he'd know how to survive if he had meds). No one anywhere had seen him since before the 4th of July.

A lot of people thought Joline may have had something to do with it because of how she reacted- lots about psychics and weird theories that he went to Oregon without any money or his life saving medication, but I feel like that was probably just desperation and a trauma response.

I would like to be able to put him to rest someday. At this point, I am sure that he just isn't here anymore and if he is out in those woods somewhere, I do worry that its too late to get real answers. He was a great guy- incredibly kind, hilarious, sweet, and delightfully awkward. I never heard him ever say a bad word about anyone or even get upset. He deserved better than whatever he got.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back