1286 users online (198 members and 1088 guests)  

Websleuths News

Congressional power to block Trump

I thought this deserves a thread since it will become more and more important.

I am happy to see that Congress has begun taking actions to block Trump. As citizens, we will all need to review our Civics knowledge regarding the power of Congress vs. the power of the President.

I don't think Trump is going to get very far without the support of Congress.

Here's a article that I posted on another thread that explains majority votes and supermajority votes:
    https://www.thoughtco.com/the-superm...rnment-3322045

This one explains the basics of the Impeachment process:
    https://www.thoughtco.com/high-crime...nition-4140196
    Last edited by AlwaysShocked; 08-07-2017 at 01:03 PM.

It really does seem as though the GOP is a bit "What fresh Hell is this?".....wish I could say that the Trumpeters were also able to admit 45 is a freaking trainwreck. But they won't. *le sigh*
    Those who do not feel pain seldom think that it is felt.
    -Samuel Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by EllieBee View Post
    It really does seem as though the GOP is a bit "What fresh Hell is this?".....wish I could say that the Trumpeters were also able to admit 45 is a freaking trainwreck. But they won't. *le sigh*
    Some must be - look at his numbers. I suspect some are merely paying lip service now because it's too difficult to admit how they were duped by the old clown.

Quote Originally Posted by EllieBee View Post
    "What fresh hell is this?" is literally my current mantra. That and waking up like Picard:

Well, the American People are going to Block Congress next election, and kick them out of office.
    Unless I provide a link, every one of my posts are to be considered rumor, Speculation, or simply MY OWN OPINION.

Quote Originally Posted by TMAN2014 View Post
    Well, the American People are going to Block Congress next election, and kick them out of office.
    Yep. The republican majority in the house will be toast.

Quote Originally Posted by TMAN2014 View Post
    Maybe John Fetterman will be your next Senator!

Remember this?

How a Bill becomes a Law:

"Through its constitutionally-granted powers, the United States Congress considers thousands of bills each session. Yet, only a small percentage of them will ever reach the top of the president's desk for final approval or ​veto. Along their way to the White House, bills traverse a maze of committees and subcommittees, debates, and amendments in both chambers of Congress."

https://www.thoughtco.com/how-bills-become-laws-3322300
    Last edited by AlwaysShocked; 08-07-2017 at 11:01 PM.

Here's how the Senate can block a Bill:

https://www.thoughtco.com/what-is-a-filibuster-3322288

"A filibuster is a delaying tactic used in the United States Senate to block a bill, amendment, resolution or other measure being considered by preventing it from coming to final vote on passage.
    Filibusters can happen only in the Senate, because the chamber’s rules of debate place very few limits on Senators’ rights and opportunities in the legislative process."

"Filibusters cannot happen in the House of Representatives because House rules require specific time limits on debates.
    In addition, filibusters on bill being considered under the federal budget “budget reconciliation” process are not allowed."

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysShocked View Post
    Remember this?

How a Bill becomes a Law:

"Through its constitutionally-granted powers, the United States Congress considers thousands of bills each session. Yet, only a small percentage of them will ever reach the top of the president's desk for final approval or ​veto. Along their way to the White House, bills traverse a maze of committees and subcommittees, debates, and amendments in both chambers of Congress."

https://www.thoughtco.com/how-bills-become-laws-3322300
    Remember this?