1146 users online (204 members and 942 guests)  

Websleuths News

NY - 19 Arrested at Nursing Homes in N.Y.

Hidden cameras recorded nursing-home patients being left in their own waste while staffers watched movies, and 19 workers at two facilities have been arrested, prosecutors said Thursday.

Attorney General Eliot Spitzer also filed civil charges against the owner of one facility, saying it received state Medicare money for care that wasn't provided.

Staff had moved call bells away from patients and stopped doing their rounds so they could socialize, watch movies, sleep or leave the building, Spitzer said. Some employees were also accused of falsely filing records that claimed they provided required care.
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=1476170
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Angry

this is shocking. to think we entrust our relatives into the so called care of these people and they are treated this way. i hope they get what they deserve. things like this make me so mad!

I will NEVER put my parents in a place like this. I'll take care of them myself, or with the aid of a nurse at home.... NEVER a nursing home. This is one of way too many stories.

Talking What goes around comes around!

one day they will get whats comming to them.

I work in a nursing home and I at least know that my facility provides excellent care for our residents. We follow the Eden Alternative, which means that we bring in plants, animals, encourage workers to bring in their children to play with the elders (we also have a daycare for employees and the kids go visiting too). They set their own schedules, get up when they want, sleep when they want. We don't make them sit there bored and alone. They are always surrounded by others and we try to make it a real home for them. There are many activities in the building for them to take part in.

I cannot fathom some of these places. The only advice I could give someone who plans to place their loved ones in a care home is to spend time there and see what's going on, and how the other residents look. Even private care can be abusive and neglectful. Nothing is 100% safe.

I'm in Canada, and I belong to a union. We get paid pretty well for what we do. And we go to school for almost a year to learn how to properly care for someone, physically and emotionally. I look at my job as a career. To provide care for people in their last years and to make sure that they are happy and as healthy as possible. I chose to go into this profession because I love to take care of people.

There needs to be reform in this industry. Some of these homes pay minimum wage, hire anyone, and these people look at it as just a 'job' and don't really care about what they are doing. They show up and just do whatever. They don't take it seriously and they probably don't really care about the residents. It's just a paycheque.

So sad. I wish I could just go and hug all those poor people who get neglected.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyM
    I work in a nursing home and I at least know that my facility provides excellent care for our residents. We follow the Eden Alternative, which means that we bring in plants, animals, encourage workers to bring in their children to play with the elders (we also have a daycare for employees and the kids go visiting too). They set their own schedules, get up when they want, sleep when they want. We don't make them sit there bored and alone. They are always surrounded by others and we try to make it a real home for them. There are many activities in the building for them to take part in.

I cannot fathom some of these places. The only advice I could give someone who plans to place their loved ones in a care home is to spend time there and see what's going on, and how the other residents look. Even private care can be abusive and neglectful. Nothing is 100% safe.

I'm in Canada, and I belong to a union. We get paid pretty well for what we do. And we go to school for almost a year to learn how to properly care for someone, physically and emotionally. I look at my job as a career. To provide care for people in their last years and to make sure that they are happy and as healthy as possible. I chose to go into this profession because I love to take care of people.

There needs to be reform in this industry. Some of these homes pay minimum wage, hire anyone, and these people look at it as just a 'job' and don't really care about what they are doing. They show up and just do whatever. They don't take it seriously and they probably don't really care about the residents. It's just a paycheque.

So sad. I wish I could just go and hug all those poor people who get neglected.
    Your place sounds wonderful .
    If only they were all like that and had good -hearted staff like you to care for people who have given so much and just want a decent enviornment to live out their end time.

Thanks.

If anyone has a relative in a home, or is planning to have one stay in a home, please check out if the facility uses the 'eden alternative'. More places should incorporate it. You could even suggest it.

http://www.ncaonline.org/ncpad/eden.shtml

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    I think that's a wonderful idea, Misty. I linked it on another forum with credit to you. I hope that the more people who hear about it, the more likely the idea is to spread. I notice there were all kinds of medical benefits to the patients and staff absenteeism goes down.

It is a wonderful idea, like I said we incorporate it where I work, and truthfully I love my job. I used to work in a home where the people were treated like an assembly line. It broke my heart and I had to quit. I was almost ready to give up on what I was doing till I found where I work now. I truly enjoy working and I believe it does give the employees alot of joy knowing they are really making some of these people's last days happy and full of love. It's so sad to see some of the residents who don't have family come and visit them. But when the kids come or the cats or dogs jump up on their laps, they are so happy it sometimes chokes me up. Something so simple as basic attention can make a lonely oldtimers day.

Unfortunately I've seen first hand places where the employees just dont care and it breaks my heart. Thanks for spreading the word Sewingdeb. It's great to make people more aware of what is out there and what is possible. You rock!