Kindergartner dies after being struck by bus

Shadow205

Reaction score
Kindergartner dies after being struck by bus

By Mary Catherine Brooks
Wyoming County Bureau Chief

PINEVILLE — A 5-year-old Wyoming County kindergarten student died Thursday after he was hit by the school bus he had been riding, officials said.

The boy was pronounced dead by an emergency room physician at Logan Regional Medical Center, said Dr. Danny Lucas, Logan County medical examiner.

Authorities were withholding the child’s name.

The incident occurred about 4 p.m. in Little Creek, near Oceana. The child was going to a baby-sitter’s house and had walked away from the bus, but apparently had dropped some suckers and went back to get them, according to Wyoming County Sheriff’s Chief Deputy Randall Aliff.

Sources close to the investigation said the child slid or fell under the bus after coming back down the driveway of the baby-sitter’s house.

Jannia Bostic, the bus driver, didn’t see the child, according to school officials.

“She’s a very experienced driver,” Wyoming County Schools Superintendent Frank Blackwell said.

Aliff said officials were still uncertain as to exactly how the child was hit by the bus. The details were still being investigated, he said.

The boy was taken to Logan Regional Medical Center following the accident.

“Of course, this will have to be thoroughly investigated,” Blackwell said shortly after the accident. “This is a one-child bus stop, and the driver thought the road was clear.

“This is every school administrator’s and every bus driver’s nightmare,” he added.

Blackwell said students are cautioned not to retrieve dropped items from the road as part of bus safety training.

“But kids are kids, and they don’t always see the danger,” he said.

“Everyone is just heartbroken about this accident.”

The child was a kindergarten student at Berlin McKinney Elementary School.
http://www.register-herald.com/local/local_story_005235629.html?keyword=topstory

This is so sad. I knew the little boys Mother. She used to babysit for me when my oldest daughter was younger. Please keep this family and the bus driver in your prayers.

So tragic! I feel so bad for everyone involved. The driver, the babysitter and of course, the family.

Shadow205 said:
This is so sad. I knew the little boys Mother. She used to babysit for me when my oldest daughter was younger. Please keep this family and the bus driver in your prayers.

Shadow, I'm keeping this family in my prayers as well as the bus driver. What a horrible, horrible accident.

God Bless this little boy. :angel:

i had a friend in high school whos little brother was hit and killed by a bus, it was the drivers fault and they sued and apparently won some million amount....it was horrible for everyone involved....this is so sad i will be praying for the boys family..

Oh how awful for everyone involved! I will definitely keep this family and the community in my prayers.

Poor little guy! He just wanted to go back and get his suckers like any child would... :(

Today is the funeral. Please remember the family in your prayers today. My Mom went to see the parents and the Dad said "I just want to see him play again." So very very sad. Mom is substituting today so his teacher can attend the funeral.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire
Back