Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath - The Conversation Continues

Bently

Former Member
Reaction score
Season 2 starts tonight, 9-11 pm Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath - The Conversation Continues. It is still on A&E, but looks as it will be changing to Tuesdays.

I know this is a television series (of which I'm very interested in) so....what are the possibilities of this series being put on DVD to be sold by A&E?? The reason I ask is because I've missed most of the episodes and would like to have the entire series on DVD.

I wonder what the chances are of A&E offering each season as DVD sets??

I watched this for the first time last night. Very intense and very moving. I thought to myself, "Damn. The angered the wrong woman. She's determined." And a few minutes later Remini pretty much said the same thing. That she will never give up.

This show is devastating to that cult.

I started watching late last season; I caught the tail end of last season after watching most of the earlier episodes during one of the marathons A&E had. Leah and Mike Rinder are the perfect pair to be the leads for this show.

I know this is a television series (of which I'm very interested in) so....what are the possibilities of this series being put on DVD to be sold by A&E?? The reason I ask is because I've missed most of the episodes and would like to have the entire series on DVD

Do they even do this anymore? Everything is usually available digitally online.

Ok...So, I avoided watching The Aftermath (after having been sucked into Making A Murderer), for a couple reasons...

For one thing, I saw Going Clear, had read plenty about the (ahhmmm), "Church" of Scientology and compelling as the evidence of cultism is, Nothing. Ever. Changed. The COS just rolled right along, enjoying it's tax-exempt status. Secondly, I felt the victims of the COS signed up for the ride, I honestly never thought about those who might have been born into it...

I first heard about LRH through the commercials on TV. Started reading Dianetics, and thought, " oh boy! this guy is a genius! Got less than half way through, and went, " Oh man! This guy is insane! Researching LRH led me to Alister Crowley. Well, well, well...

I finally binge watched season 1. ( and what little there is of season 2), Here are my observations:

What I find outstanding about the series, is that they are shedding light on, and really clarifying, the tactics of abusers of all shapes and sizes. So many people who leave abusive relationships, of ANY kind, often face the harsh glare of condemnation for having been in that predicament at all... " why did you stay so long? Why did you get involved at all? Why did you not see, what is so obvious to "the rest of us"? You must have done something to "deserve" this.

People need to believe this could never happen to them. I was one of those people. But once you are "kicked off the Boat Dock of complacency, so to speak, you can never go back to the innocent believe that "Bad things happen to "Other People", people who have "DONE SOMETHING" to deserve their misfortune. Or who could have avoided it, but didn't have the common sense, or fortitude to do so. The truth is, all of us have a weak link in our armor somewhere.

Abusers are predators that easily spot weakness. ( "Like A Lion Spots A Limp"). Anything at all will do. Even the simple belief,
"I think I could be a better person" is exploitable.

As for the show...

I'm gonna put it right out there, (as usual), and say that I dislike Mike Rinder. I'm glad that he's no longer torturing people, but I have no doubt that he took pride in it, when he was doing it, and he had to have known that it was immoral and/or criminal. .Anyone who has" knowingly" abused others, in the name of Scientology,or not, should have to answer for that. ( And not just with a hit TV show and all kinds of accolades).

Rinder knew what he was doing, he reports what he did, in such a way that leaves no doubt that he was aware of the plot. And I have seen him look almost... proud, when some of his exploits are being reveled.

He wasn't "brainwashed" into thinking he was a "doing good" the whole time. You can clearly see that.

Leah Remini seems different in that respect, at least. Rinder is even pointing out, "Leah didn't know about this, or that... ( But HE did).

I am also frankly uncomfortable with Mike and Leahs "Work" relationship.

I find it very inappropriate for a married man. Leah has made references such as, we're up all night talking, we eat breakfast together, lunch, coffee, dinner.... "I'm always calling mike, we're always saying this and that....It is almost as if this mission to save the world from the COS is more important than Mikes relationship with his wife... I find that ironic to say the least.

They are deeply intimate. There is no mistaking that. This "mission" will not bode well for Mikes marriage imo. Apparently they still cannot see, what is so very apparent to "outsiders".

I also feel the show could be improved if Leah would stop interjecting herself while victims are speaking. "I'm sure you did that because"... "I know you felt this".. "the church caused you to believe that"... I wish she would just let them tell the stories...

I was heartbroken for the young woman who wanted to voice her pain about her belief that she could have done something more to save her friend from committing suicide, but Leah cut her off, with "Don't you dare even say it!" And then went on to tell her how there was nothing she could have done, and it was not her fault ect...but she never got to speak those words. Her biggest regret. And she needed to, she TRIED to. Not letting people speak, talking over people is a huge flaw in the show.

My last observation, an admittedly petty one, I am distracted by Leah's talons. I'm surprised she has not put out an eye with those things when delicately dabbing at her under-eye area with a tissue. What is up with that?! Is that the latest style? Uhhgggg!

I hope the show is the "nail in coffin" for Scientology. I think it is one of the most important public service campaigns ever created on the topic of abuse. I love that the show is bringing a sense of humor, and hope to the very real recovery that abused people everywhere can reach for. Beyond grim survival, life can be good, and sweet and fun again.

Ok...So, I avoided watching The Aftermath (after having been sucked into Making A Murderer), for a couple reasons...

For one thing, I saw Going Clear, had read plenty about the (ahhmmm), "Church" of Scientology and compelling as the evidence of cultism is, Nothing. Ever. Changed. The COS just rolled right along, enjoying it's tax-exempt status. Secondly, I felt the victims of the COS signed up for the ride, I honestly never thought about those who might have been born into it...

I first heard about LRH through the commercials on TV. Started reading Dianetics, and thought, " oh boy! this guy is a genius! Got less than half way through, and went, " Oh man! This guy is insane! Researching LRH led me to Alister Crowley. Well, well, well...

I finally binge watched season 1. ( and what little there is of season 2), Here are my observations:

What I find outstanding about the series, is that they are shedding light on, and really clarifying, the tactics of abusers of all shapes and sizes. So many people who leave abusive relationships, of ANY kind, often face the harsh glare of condemnation for having been in that predicament at all... " why did you stay so long? Why did you get involved at all? Why did you not see, what is so obvious to "the rest of us"? You must have done something to "deserve" this.

People need to believe this could never happen to them. I was one of those people. But once you are "kicked off the Boat Dock of complacency, so to speak, you can never go back to the innocent believe that "Bad things happen to "Other People", people who have "DONE SOMETHING" to deserve their misfortune. Or who could have avoided it, but didn't have the common sense, or fortitude to do so. The truth is, all of us have a weak link in our armor somewhere.

Abusers are predators that easily spot weakness. ( "Like A Lion Spots A Limp"). Anything at all will do. Even the simple belief,
"I think I could be a better person" is exploitable.

As for the show...

I'm gonna put it right out there, (as usual), and say that I dislike Mike Rinder. I'm glad that he's no longer torturing people, but I have no doubt that he took pride in it, when he was doing it, and he had to have known that it was immoral and/or criminal. .Anyone who has" knowingly" abused others, in the name of Scientology,or not, should have to answer for that. ( And not just with a hit TV show and all kinds of accolades).

Rinder knew what he was doing, he reports what he did, in such a way that leaves no doubt that he was aware of the plot. And I have seen him look almost... proud, when some of his exploits are being reveled.

He wasn't "brainwashed" into thinking he was a "doing good" the whole time. You can clearly see that.

Leah Remini seems different in that respect, at least. Rinder is even pointing out, "Leah didn't know about this, or that... ( But HE did).

I am also frankly uncomfortable with Mike and Leahs "Work" relationship.

I find it very inappropriate for a married man. Leah has made references such as, we're up all night talking, we eat breakfast together, lunch, coffee, dinner.... "I'm always calling mike, we're always saying this and that....It is almost as if this mission to save the world from the COS is more important than Mikes relationship with his wife.
.. I find that ironic to say the least.

They are deeply intimate. There is no mistaking that. This "mission" will not bode well for Mikes marriage imo. Apparently they still cannot see, what is so very apparent to "outsiders".

I also feel the show could be improved if Leah would stop interjecting herself while victims are speaking. "I'm sure you did that because"... "I know you felt this".. "the church caused you to believe that"... I wish she would just let them tell the stories...

I was heartbroken for the young woman who wanted to voice her pain about her belief that she could have done something more to save her friend from committing suicide, but Leah cut her off, with "Don't you dare even say it!" And then went on to tell her how there was nothing she could have done, and it was not her fault ect...but she never got to speak those words. Her biggest regret. And she needed to, she TRIED to. Not letting people speak, talking over people is a huge flaw in the show.

My last observation, an admittedly petty one, I am distracted by Leah's talons. I'm surprised she has not put out an eye with those things when delicately dabbing at her under-eye area with a tissue. What is up with that?! Is that the latest style? Uhhgggg!

I hope the show is the "nail in coffin" for Scientology. I think it is one of the most important public service campaigns ever created on the topic of abuse. I love that the show is bringing a sense of humor, and hope to the very real recovery that abused people everywhere can reach for. Beyond grim survival, life can be good, and sweet and fun again.

This may put you at ease. My good friend works at A&E, and worked on this show as part of the camera crew. Apparently, Mike's wife is close friends with Leah. And they spend a lot of time, all of them together. His wife comes and eats meals with him and Leah, who is also happily married. And she brings their young son to visit them on the set.

His wife is 100% supportive of this show and the mission of revealing the ugliness of Scientology. I don't think his marriage is in trouble because of Leah or the time they spend together. JMO

This may put you at ease. My good friend works at A&E, and worked on this show as part of the camera crew. Apparently, Mike's wife is close friends with Leah. And they spend a lot of time, all of them together. His wife comes and eats meals with him and Leah, who is also happily married. And she brings their young son to visit them on the set.

His wife is 100% supportive of this show and the mission of revealing the ugliness of Scientology. I don't think his marriage is in trouble because of Leah or the time they spend together. JMO
bbm
Ok. She did say, in her book, that her husband is a "serial cheater". but if she seems happy than I guess she must be right? ;)

I may be mis-reading their body language, but I find it intimate. Not a huge deal that makes me personally ill at ease though, just sayin I find it...odd.

If they put that corrupt cult out of business that would be awesome, no one has done it yet, but it does seem to be... shrinking...

I know this is a television series (of which I'm very interested in) so....what are the possibilities of this series being put on DVD to be sold by A&E?? The reason I ask is because I've missed most of the episodes and would like to have the entire series on DVD.

Some shows are still out on DVD and sold by season, but I don't think this one is yet. However, I know for sure all of Season One is available digitally from Amazon. They price each episode and then have a whole season price.

I don't usually post on topics that are of little import to me. I seldom post "Wish them well", or "RIP" type posts very often...
And, if I am to be truthful, getting my Daughter off to a good start in seventh grade is more important to me right now, than the end of Scientology .

I think it's great that they are exposing this cult. But I fear that the way they over dramatize, exaggerate and spend too much time on the members of Scientology rather than LRH, David Miscavige, the brainwashing techniques and the actual criminal activity ( in which Mike Rinder participated heavily, with FULL knowledge) is going to backfire.

As important as it is to get the stories out there, it is perhaps even more important, ( if the goal is to end the abusive practices and/ or, the cult itself, and not just entertaining reality TV drama), that they expose, not just moms and grandmas abandoning/abusing children, but the internal illegal activities that smack of organized crime by the the founders/LEADERS.

I find it somewhat disingenuous that abuses that they themselves perpetrated on others, are hardly touched on, and when they are, they are infused with forgiveness because they are enlightened now. They just don't seem to have the same compassion for those that are still "believers" as they once were.

Leah discloses, with obvious disdain, how her mom's second husband introduced her to the cult, then had an affair, and left her with small children. Yet she herself had an affair with, ( her currant husband), Alonzo, who left his wife and children for her. Pardon me, if my respect drops just a notch. I know her personal life is not at issue here, however, I am noticing a disturbing tendency toward leniency for themselves and those they interview vs those committing the exact same offenses, but who have not yet been able to extradite themselves, for whatever reason.

In season one, both she and Mike Rinder, declare Grandparents who who have no relationship with their grandchildren, "fck'ing disgusting" . In season two (episode 3), they agree that it is "dangerous" when a mom explains why she does not allow her children to visit their grandparents. Really?

I think it's a pity that no one infiltrated the "church" on the down low, and then exposed CURRENT illegal activity.

I get a gut feeling that revenge is a HUGE motivator for both Leah and mike. (Whatever works right?).

It's likely Mike Rinder will never face charges for his illegal activities. Is that ok?

So..If I murder someone, and then I go public with all nasty things I did it, I get a full pardon?

Something is not right here. Season two seems to veer even more off course.

I know the show won an award and is receiving accolades in the world of Make Believe, But I find something distasteful about it, and I call em like I see em.

I love that Scientology is being exposed for the cult that it is, but the hypocrisy, in the show is glaring. IMO.

I don't usually post on topics that are of little import to me. I seldom post "Wish them well", or "RIP" type posts very often...
And, if I am to be truthful, getting my Daughter off to a good start in seventh grade is more important to me right now, than the end of Scientology .

I think it's great that they are exposing this cult. But I fear that the way they over dramatize, exaggerate and spend too much time on the members of Scientology rather than LRH, David Miscavige, the brainwashing techniques and the actual criminal activity ( in which Mike Rinder participated heavily, with FULL knowledge) is going to backfire.

As important as it is to get the stories out there, it is perhaps even more important, ( if the goal is to end the abusive practices and/ or, the cult itself, and not just entertaining reality TV drama), that they expose, not just moms and grandmas abandoning/abusing children, but the internal illegal activities that smack of organized crime by the the founders/LEADERS.

I find it somewhat disingenuous that abuses that they themselves perpetrated on others, are hardly touched on, and when they are, they are infused with forgiveness because they are enlightened now. They just don't seem to have the same compassion for those that are still "believers" as they once were.

Leah discloses, with obvious disdain, how her mom's second husband introduced her to the cult, then had an affair, and left her with small children. Yet she herself had an affair with, ( her currant husband), Alonzo, who left his wife and children for her. Pardon me, if my respect drops just a notch. I know her personal life is not at issue here, however, I am noticing a disturbing tendency toward leniency for themselves and those they interview vs those committing the exact same offenses, but who have not yet been able to extradite themselves, for whatever reason.

In season one, both she and Mike Rinder, declare Grandparents who who have no relationship with their grandchildren, "fck'ing disgusting" . In season two (episode 3), they agree that it is "dangerous" when a mom explains why she does not allow her children to visit their grandparents. Really?

I think it's a pity that no one infiltrated the "church" on the down low, and then exposed CURRENT illegal activity.

I get a gut feeling that revenge is a HUGE motivator for both Leah and mike. (Whatever works right?).

It's likely Mike Rinder will never face charges for his illegal activities. Is that ok?

So..If I murder someone, and then I go public with all nasty things I did it, I get a full pardon?

Something is not right here. Season two seems to veer even more off course.

I know the show won an award and is receiving accolades in the world of Make Believe, But I find something distasteful about it, and I call em like I see em.

I love that Scientology is being exposed for the cult that it is, but the hypocrisy, in the show is glaring. IMO.

That's an interesting perspective. I'm not aware of anything Remini did or didn't do in Scientology to hurt people. But I am aware of Rinder's antics and I admit to feeling off about him and weird. How do you go from being an abusive, harassing monster to being on a show about how people like yourself are so terrible, without anything really in between, like...atonement?

I have had thoughts about his hypocrisy when I see him talking. Maybe it is about power and revenge for him. He was one of the worst offenders.

bbm
Ok. She did say, in her book, that her husband is a "serial cheater". but if she seems happy than I guess she must be right? ;)

I may be mis-reading their body language, but I find it intimate. Not a huge deal that makes me personally ill at ease though, just sayin I find it...odd.

If they put that corrupt cult out of business that would be awesome, no one has done it yet, but it does seem to be... shrinking...

When you have a shared experience that is traumatic it can create a sort of intimacy. So can working closely together like these two are. It doesn't mean anything sexual is going on- just that they connect.

I'm with you about Rinder. I don't share the same feelings about Remini. She's an attractive woman. Sometimes other women are bothered by that.

Mike did time in the Hole. I would think that would be atonement enough.

I know that Rinder did some terrible things. But he was part of the brainwashed cult. Members who have been in the cult since childhood are victims, in my opinion.

He rose to heights in this cult because that was what he was trained and brainwashed into doing. Yet at some point he realized it was horribly wrong. Most of them do not have that epiphany ==and if they do, they either kill themselves or run off and hide.

So I give him great props for speaking out and working hard to undo some of the damage he helped create. And his family is still inside and are now his 'enemies.'

I don't find him creepy. I feel compassion for him. He was thrown into this mess as a child, by his parents. He did what was expected of him. Children are indoctrinated, intimidated and fed lies and propaganda. So I cannot really blame him for the 'work' he did on his captor's behalf.

I know that Rinder did some terrible things. But he was part of the brainwashed cult. Members who have been in the cult since childhood are victims, in my opinion.

He rose to heights in this cult because that was what he was trained and brainwashed into doing. Yet at some point he realized it was horribly wrong. Most of them do not have that epiphany ==and if they do, they either kill themselves or run off and hide.

So I give him great props for speaking out and working hard to undo some of the damage he helped create. And his family is still inside and are now his 'enemies.'

I don't find him creepy. I feel compassion for him. He was thrown into this mess as a child, by his parents. He did what was expected of him. Children are indoctrinated, intimidated and fed lies and propaganda. So I cannot really blame him for the 'work' he did on his captor's behalf.

Agreed. Give the man some respect for waking up out of the cult mentality. And even more respect to him for doing what he is doing today.

He didn't beat up, stalk, harass and psychologically abuse people when he was a child though. He did that as a fully grown adult with power. He was one of the leaders of this cult and has shown little sorrow for what he consciously chose to do.

If we are going to excuse things that fully adult people with power do because of their childhoods does that apply to everyone, not just cult members?

Mike did time in the Hole. I would think that would be atonement enough.

Is it though? Kids who commit crimes as children get less leeway than this guy is getting.

He didn't beat up, stalk, harass and psychologically abuse people when he was a child though. He did that as a fully grown adult with power. He was one of the leaders of this cult and has shown little sorrow for what he consciously chose to do.

If we are going to excuse things that fully adult people with power do because of their childhoods does that apply to everyone, not just cult members?

it's not about excusing the wrongdoings. It's about forgiveness and understanding and respecting the courage it takes to break out of that mindset and the courage it takes to right the wrongs.

If Mike Rinder committed crimes that he can still be prosecuted for, by all means he should pay his debt to society. But we should all be willing to show him some respect for what he is doing now.

That's an interesting perspective. I'm not aware of anything Remini did or didn't do in Scientology to hurt people. But I am aware of Rinder's antics and I admit to feeling off about him and weird. How do you go from being an abusive, harassing monster to being on a show about how people like yourself are so terrible, without anything really in between, like...atonement?

I have had thoughts about his hypocrisy when I see him talking. Maybe it is about power and revenge for him. He was one of the worst offenders.
It is my impression that that is the point of doing the show for Mike, atonement by bringing down Scientology.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back