1283 users online (198 members and 1085 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    BritsKate is offline Past mistakes should teach you to create a wonderful future.

Trump Weighs Privatizing War in Afghanistan

The White House is actively considering a bold plan to turn over a big chunk of the U.S. war in Afghanistan to private contractors in an effort to turn the tide in a stalemated war, according to the former head of a security firm pushing the project.

Under the proposal, 5,500 private contractors, primarily former Special Operations troops, would advise Afghan combat forces. The plan also includes a 90-plane private air force that would provide air support in the nearly 16-year-old war against Taliban insurgents, Erik Prince, founder of the Blackwater security firm, told USA TODAY.

The unprecedented proposal comes as the U.S.-backed Afghan military faces a stalemate in the war and growing frustration by President Trump about the lack of progress in the war.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ize/548004001/

I'm certain that introducing profiteering and privatization is a sure fire resolution to wrapping it up quickly and efficiently with as few casualties as possible. Surely, those who profit from war would never seek to further increase their profits. Of course, this is being wrapped up as a savings to taxpayers (apparently 30 bln) but no word yet what it would mean to the numbers of military these civilians would replace. I personally have difficulty believing private contracting can reduce costs by that amount.

JMO

Good God.

Pray for us. And **** Blackwater.
    Marx: "Jeder nach seinen Fähigkeiten, jedem nach seinen Bedürfnissen."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/20/politi...tan/index.html

Trump to announce 'path forward' for US in Afghanistan
    Updated 10:15 PM ET, Sun August 20, 2017
    Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump will outline the United States' "path forward" in Afghanistan in a speech Monday night, the White House announced Sunday.
    Trump's address, scheduled for 9 p.m. ET Monday at Fort Myer in Arlington, Virginia, comes as Trump and Secretary of Defense James Mattis have said a decision has been made on a new US strategy in Afghanistan.
    Earlier Sunday, Mattis confirmed a decision has been made, but declined to offer details about the decision, saying Trump would choose when to make the announcement.
    […]

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    Aug 20 2017, 4:27 pm ET

Trump to Address Nation on ‘Path Forward’ in Afghanistan on Monday Night

by Tim Stelloh

President Donald Trump will discuss the "path forward" in Afghanistan in a speech on Monday night, the White House said in a statement Sunday.

The speech, to be delivered at the Fort Myer military base in Arlington, Virginia, at 9 p.m. ET, will "provide an update on the path forward for America’s engagement in Afghanistan and South Asia," the statement said.

The address comes after a lengthy strategy review in which White House and Pentagon officials mulled a more aggressive role for the American military in Afghanistan...

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/tr...-night-n794356

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    Aug 21 2017, 5:26 pm ET

The War in Afghanistan: By The Numbers

by Andrew Rafferty

President Donald Trump will use his first prime-time White House address to brief the nation about the "path forward" in the 16-year war in Afghanistan on Monday night. The conflict has cost thousands of lives and billions of dollars and has now spread across three administrations...

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/poli...umbers-n794626

https://www.whitehouse.gov/live/pres...address-nation
    President Trump Gives a Presidential Address to the Nation
    Fort Myer, VA
    Start time 9:00 PM EDT

Quote Originally Posted by BritsKate View Post
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ize/548004001/

I'm certain that introducing profiteering and privatization is a sure fire resolution to wrapping it up quickly and efficiently with as few casualties as possible. Surely, those who profit from war would never seek to further increase their profits. Of course, this is being wrapped up as a savings to taxpayers (apparently 30 bln) but no word yet what it would mean to the numbers of military these civilians would replace. I personally have difficulty believing private contracting can reduce costs by that amount.

JMO
    Yes, and look how well the privatization of the US prison system turned out.

I hope his children are the first to sign up!

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    Good God.

Pray for us. And **** Blackwater.
    I have a feeling God washed His hands of us the day Trump was elected.

I know many of we lefties are non-religious, but I am, in fact a person of faith. I believe profoundly in preordination and the creation of life by a higher power (I'll say God).

That said, this horror can only be a disappointment to God, and that saddens me.
    Those who do not feel pain seldom think that it is felt.
    -Samuel Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by human View Post
    I hope his children are the first to sign up!
    Of course they will hold some important place in the DOD. Because so qualified.

But they won't be on the front lines, risking their lives for a fight picked by the stupid sandbox bully.
    -Samuel Johnson

Did Trump admit he didn't know what he was talking about as a candidate?
    Trump is just reading from a teleprompter. He will have no clue what he said tomorrow.

"Our support is not unlimited and not a blank check. The Afghanistan people must carry the burden too." -Trump

FFS..Just like Mexico is paying for the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by jamiect View Post
    Did Trump admit he didn't know what he was talking about as a candidate? Trump is just reading from a teleprompter. He will have no clue what he said tomorrow.

"Our support is not unlimited and not a blank check. The Afghanistan people must carry the burden too." -Trump

lolol "Afghanistan people".

What a maroon.
    -Samuel Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by EllieBee View Post
    lolol "Afghanistan people".

What a maroon.
    Right? He looks more and more like a complete moron every time he appears in public. How embarrassing. SMH

So no specifics just blather

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jamiect View Post
    Did Trump admit he didn't know what he was talking about as a candidate?
    Trump is just reading from a teleprompter. He will have no clue what he said tomorrow.

I guess we should be grateful he was able to read, after having gazed directly at the sun earlier today.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast