NY NY - Slate Hill, WhtMale 55-65, 112UMNY, in swamp, dental work, 75-77 Timex Dynabeat watch, Sep'91

anthrobones

Reaction score
http://doenetwork.us/cases/112umny.htmlhttp://doenetwork.org/cases/112umny.html

Unidentified White Male
  • Located on September 14, 1991 in Town of Greenville, Orange County, New York.
  • The victim is estimated to have died 10 - 20 years before discovery

Vital Statistics

• Estimated age: 60 - 65 years old
  • Approximate Height and Weight: 5'8"
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: His spine had prominent osteophoytosis on the lower thoracic vertebrae.
  • Dentals: He had extensive dental work.
  • Clothing: He was wearing blue trousers; a yellow, long-sleeved, fitted shirt; blue knit socks and shoes and a knit sweater with assorted buttons.
  • DNA: Available
Case History
This victim was located in a swamp off Eaton Lake, Slate Hill, Town of Greenville, NY.
  1. A pair of Leornardo-style, grey-patterned, plastic bifocals. The eye-glasses is imprinted with the name of Orange County optician D. J. Riehle. The bifocals were manufactured by Swank Opticians, between 1974 and 1978, based on the prescription: R-1.00\I-1.00 A+2.75 (a common prescription for near-sightness)
  2. One of pair of size 10, wing-tipped shoes
  3. A 1975-77 Timex Dynabeat electric watch with a rubber wristband
  4. Six keys with binding numbers; G33221 and G39241. They may be part of a master key program
  5. A black, plastic, memo book cover
  6. U.S. coins dating from 1964 through 1972.
  7. A vinyl, gym-type bag
  8. A T-shirt.
  9. A black, plastic, wallet was in the right, back trouser pocket

anthrobones said:
. . .The victim is estimated to have died 10 - 20 years before discovery. . .
I just finsihed looking at a case where the coroner was quoted as saying the victem could have been dead about 30 years and then when the remains were ID'd he had only been dead about 3 years so I tend to take those long estimated times with some skepticism nowadays. Not arguing but just reminding us all.

How could he have been dead for 30 years when his glasses were only 17 years old at the most?

How could he have been dead for 30 years when his glasses were only 17 years old at the most?

This, pretty much.

His watch was a maximum of 16 years old, too. At the same time, the artefacts found with him are all basically right out of the 70s:

Coins - 64 to 72 - newest no less than three years old - quite unlikely that you'd have no coins newer than, say a decade on you.

Watch/glasses - 74 to 78 approximately.

So I think the odds are quite high that this person died before 1980 even if there is no evidecne about the age of the bones.

Old people do keep glasses and watches for quite a long time but the fact that the coins with this Doe are older than that suggest that his possessions probably weren't that old when he died. At the same time, he can't have been dead for more than 16 years due to his watch. So that gives a pretty narrow window to work in if this case is going to be researched further.

I just finsihed looking at a case where the coroner was quoted as saying the victem could have been dead about 30 years and then when the remains were ID'd he had only been dead about 3 years so I tend to take those long estimated times with some skepticism nowadays. Not arguing but just reminding us all.

This really does make me wonder. When I searched the company that did the glasses, I found that they have been in business ince 1987 (if the right company). Here is the link for it... http://www.riehleopticians.com/

That's interesting, findlorne. There was a business called D. J. Riehle Opticians (the D stands for Daniel) in Middletown, which is about 30 minutes' drive from Warwick where riehleopticians.com is located. They existed as late as 1986. The chief optician at riehleopticians.com is an Anthony Riehle who may be a son or grandson of D. J. Riehle.

if the glasses came from Orange County, NY in all probability he was from either NY or NJ. (Orange County abuts NJ).

here is a missing person from NJ who has some curious similarities. Nicholas Maschuci was last seen on September 18, 1974, in NJ supposedly headed to a business meeting in Brooklyn. he was 61 y.o., about 5'8" or 5'9". while the accessories don't match exactly to what was found with the UID, they are similar in type.

Maschuchi wore bifocals and wore a watch. It looks like he had a glass eye (not mentioned with UID)

both profiles say DNA available so I am not sure if he is an exclusion by default.

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/9701/2/

It said he had a wallet on him, but there was no kind of identification in it at all? I guess it was purposefully removed?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

if the glasses came from Orange County, NY in all probability he was from either NY or NJ. (Orange County abuts NJ).

here is a missing person from NJ who has some curious similarities. Nicholas Maschuci was last seen on September 18, 1974, in NJ supposedly headed to a business meeting in Brooklyn. he was 61 y.o., about 5'8" or 5'9". while the accessories don't match exactly to what was found with the UID, they are similar in type.

Maschuchi wore bifocals and wore a watch. It looks like he had a glass eye (not mentioned with UID)

both profiles say DNA available so I am not sure if he is an exclusion by default.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Good thinking. Send the tip into websleuths.

I've got a few possible identities.

Joseph Sireci
Original

Missing from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania of May 27, 1983.
This guy stood out to me the most. I know the timeline is a little inconsistent as the estimated post-mortem interval was 10-20 years and Sireci had only been missing for 8 years but a few details in his case caused me to take a second look. For one thing the victim was found with a pair of glasses with grey patterned plastic frames. Sireci wore a pair of glasses with brown plastic frames and I could see how brown and grey patterned frames could be confused. When I first saw the photo of the glasses I thought they were brown. Also the victim was found wearing a Timex Dynabeat watch. Sireci owned a Timex watch that disappeared along with him. The resemblance also isn't too far off. I think Sireci is a definite possibility.
Joseph Sireci – The Charley Project
Note: What Blood type was the deceased? According to the Charley Project Sireci's blood type was AB.

Jack West
Original

Missing From Phoenix, Arizona on Feburary 16, 1975
I'll admit it's unlikely but I wonder if you added a few pounds to the John Doe would he start to resemble Jack West.
Jack Edward West – The Charley Project

John C. Butler
Original

Missing April 23, 1980 from Gering, Nebraska
Although Butler has been missing since 1980 the photo on his NamUS profile is from 1953. It's hard to know how he would've looked 27 years later and I'm not an expert in age progressing faces but I can see how he could possibly age to resemble the John Doe. He could be a possibility.

Lloyd Farrar
Original

Missing May 24, 1978 from North Hollywood, California
Lloyd for glasses and a rare watch. I'm not sure if the watch found with the Doe was particularity rare as I'm not an expert on watches.
Lloyd Farrar – The Charley Project

There's also two possibilities with no photos.
Charles Ozinski: Missing April 22, 1982 from Kings Park, New York - Not likely as the victim had extenstive dental work and Ozinski was described as having very poor teeth.
Myron Goodrich: Missing August 8, 1980 from Bohemia New York

Tell me what you think about any of my possible identities and if any are worth sending in to NamUs.

Case for UP9844 was updated in Namus last month. Age estimate is now 60-65 with an estimated PMI of 10 years (1971-1981). However we know there is no way he died before 1975 as this UID had coins dated 1972, bifocals manufactured 1974 to 78 and a Timex Dynabeat watch made 1975 to 77.

112UMNY5_LARGE.jpg
112UMNY.jpg

DoeNetwork confirmed that Joseph Sireci (mentioned above by @b741ma) has previously been forwarded to both the UID and Mr Sireci's law enforcement contacts as a potential match.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361
Back