862 users online (142 members and 720 guests)  

Websleuths News

NY - Orange Co., WhtMale Skeletal 112UMNY, 60-65, in swamp, Sep'91

http://doenetwork.org/cases/112umny.html

Unidentified White Male
    • Located on September 14, 1991 in Town of Greenville, Orange County, New York.
    • The victim is estimated to have died 10 - 20 years before discovery

Vital Statistics

• Estimated age: 60 - 65 years old
    • Approximate Height and Weight: 5'8"
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: His spine had prominent osteophoytosis on the lower thoracic vertebrae.
    • Dentals: He had extensive dental work.
    • Clothing: He was wearing blue trousers; a yellow, long-sleeved, fitted shirt; blue knit socks and shoes and a knit sweater with assorted buttons.
    • DNA: Available

Case History
    This victim was located in a swamp off Eaton Lake, Slate Hill, Town of Greenville, NY.
    1. A pair of Leornardo-style, grey-patterned, plastic bifocals. The eye-glasses is imprinted with the name of Orange County optician D. J. Riehle. The bifocals were manufactured by Swank Opticians, between 1974 and 1978, based on the prescription: R-1.00\I-1.00 A+2.75 (a common prescription for near-sightness)
    2. One of pair of size 10, wing-tipped shoes
    3. A 1975-77 Timex Dynabeat electric watch with a rubber wristband
    4. Six keys with binding numbers; G33221 and G39241. They may be part of a master key program
    5. A black, plastic, memo book cover
    6. U.S. coins dating from 1964 through 1972.
    7. A vinyl, gym-type bag
    8. A T-shirt.
    9. A black, plastic, wallet was in the right, back trouser pocket

Last edited by CarlK90245; 04-09-2013 at 12:13 AM. Reason: added link

estimations

Quote Originally Posted by anthrobones
    . . .The victim is estimated to have died 10 - 20 years before discovery. . .
    I just finsihed looking at a case where the coroner was quoted as saying the victem could have been dead about 30 years and then when the remains were ID'd he had only been dead about 3 years so I tend to take those long estimated times with some skepticism nowadays. Not arguing but just reminding us all.

Doe network

How could he have been dead for 30 years when his glasses were only 17 years old at the most?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie99909 View Post
    How could he have been dead for 30 years when his glasses were only 17 years old at the most?
    This, pretty much.

His watch was a maximum of 16 years old, too. At the same time, the artefacts found with him are all basically right out of the 70s:

Coins - 64 to 72 - newest no less than three years old - quite unlikely that you'd have no coins newer than, say a decade on you.

Watch/glasses - 74 to 78 approximately.

So I think the odds are quite high that this person died before 1980 even if there is no evidecne about the age of the bones.

Old people do keep glasses and watches for quite a long time but the fact that the coins with this Doe are older than that suggest that his possessions probably weren't that old when he died. At the same time, he can't have been dead for more than 16 years due to his watch. So that gives a pretty narrow window to work in if this case is going to be researched further.

Quote Originally Posted by docwho3 View Post
    I just finsihed looking at a case where the coroner was quoted as saying the victem could have been dead about 30 years and then when the remains were ID'd he had only been dead about 3 years so I tend to take those long estimated times with some skepticism nowadays. Not arguing but just reminding us all.
    This really does make me wonder. When I searched the company that did the glasses, I found that they have been in business ince 1987 (if the right company). Here is the link for it... http://www.riehleopticians.com/
    FindLorne
    www.findlorne.faithweb.com

That's interesting, findlorne. There was a business called D. J. Riehle Opticians (the D stands for Daniel) in Middletown, which is about 30 minutes' drive from Warwick where riehleopticians.com is located. They existed as late as 1986. The chief optician at riehleopticians.com is an Anthony Riehle who may be a son or grandson of D. J. Riehle.

if the glasses came from Orange County, NY in all probability he was from either NY or NJ. (Orange County abuts NJ).

here is a missing person from NJ who has some curious similarities. Nicholas Maschuci was last seen on September 18, 1974, in NJ supposedly headed to a business meeting in Brooklyn. he was 61 y.o., about 5'8" or 5'9". while the accessories don't match exactly to what was found with the UID, they are similar in type.

Maschuchi wore bifocals and wore a watch. It looks like he had a glass eye (not mentioned with UID)

both profiles say DNA available so I am not sure if he is an exclusion by default.

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/9701/2/

this UID is now in Namus, no rule outs:

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/9844

they have mtDNA for him. they say he had extensive dental work but the teeth are not charted in his profile.

It said he had a wallet on him, but there was no kind of identification in it at all? I guess it was purposefully removed?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk