936 users online (152 members and 784 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

2017.08.10 California Crops Rot as Immigration Crackdown Creates Farmworker Shortage

http://fortune.com/2017/08/08/immigr...rotting-crops/

Farmers say they're having trouble hiring enough people to work during harvest season, causing some crops to rot before they can be picked. Already, the situation has triggered losses of more than $13 million in two California counties alone, according to NBC News.

http://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/...-1007177795804

Farms across the state are facing a serious labor shortage ó 9 in 10 farm workers in California are foreign-born, many from Mexico. According to the PEW Research Center, more Mexican immigrants are leaving the U.S. than arriving.

Well, whaddya know?

Shocker (not).
    Those who do not feel pain seldom think that it is felt.
    -Samuel Johnson

Looks good on Trump - someone who does not know that cutting off his nose will impact his face.

Quote Originally Posted by EllieBee View Post
    Well, whaddya know?

Shocker (not).
    Maybe trump can dance on all the rotten food

but but but but..... i thought they were taking our JOBS!

Quote Originally Posted by frisson View Post
    Maybe trump can dance on all the rotten food
    Ummmmm . . .Does he know how to fiddle? (while Rome burns)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueShoe View Post
    Ummmmm . . .Does he know how to fiddle? (while Rome burns)

Fiddles is hard, yo.

But he plays a mean triangle.
    Those who do not feel pain seldom think that it is felt.
    -Samuel Johnson

GA lost $140 million in 2011 after they passed anti immigration laws, so Trump thought he would make it federal.

The Law Of Unintended Consequences: Georgia's Immigration Law Backfires

Losses continued to grow in 2016 as farmers in GA tried to get "legal" workers, despite the expansion of H2A visas, it wasn't enough.
    Now Trump plans on cutting those visas in half.

Losses grow for Georgia farmers waiting on feds to OK foreign workers

Thankfully, we will be able to make up the loses by buying food from Mexico.

Not sure about that.,Mexico has other places to sell their crops

Here in Illinois, I love going out to various farms to buy fresh produce, fresh eggs, fresh steak and chicken, etc; I also live for those awesome outdoor 'farm dinners' where the farmer and his family cook and serve what they grow - ooh it's sooo good! Well, over the past several years I've gotten acquainted with some of these farmers: Not long ago one of them that I was talking to (who grows strawberries, peppers, leaf lettuce, etc) mentioned that he tried a number of times to hire White people to pick veggies, but that they don't last on the job more than a couple of hours... He said White people work very slowly, and they get overwhelmed by the enormity of the task (i.e., the rows of strawberries are over a mile long, and there are 30 of them), and then they walk off the job before lunch. A middle-aged Hispanic man who was with the farmer (helping him bag my order) had heard our conversation and and replied to me, "White people just don't seem to have the patience to pick fruits and vegetables - they keep looking down the row over and over and then they walk off the job". Anyway, maybe we should start having children work the farms every summer (as soon as school ends, and up until it begins again in late August) once they turn 10 years old so they can obtain that kind of work experience; they could do this until they turn 17 (and yes, this is my genuine opinion; I'm not being facetious). Anyone have anything they'd like to add (I'm sending my ideas to the Trump Administration next week)!

Quote Originally Posted by SpanishMossAntiques View Post
    Here in Illinois, I love going out to various farms to buy fresh produce, fresh eggs, fresh steak and chicken, etc; I also live for those awesome outdoor 'farm dinners' where the farmer and his family cook and serve what they grow - ooh it's sooo good! Well, over the past several years I've gotten acquainted with some of these farmers: Not long ago one of them that I was talking to (who grows strawberries, peppers, leaf lettuce, etc) mentioned that he tried a number of times to hire White people to pick veggies, but that they don't last on the job more than a couple of hours... He said White people work very slowly, and they get overwhelmed by the enormity of the task (i.e., the rows of strawberries are over a mile long, and there are 30 of them), and then they walk off the job before lunch. A middle-aged Hispanic man who was with the farmer (helping him bag my order) had heard our conversation and and replied to me, "White people just don't seem to have the patience to pick fruits and vegetables - they keep looking down the row over and over and then they walk off the job". Anyway, maybe we should start having children work the farms every summer (as soon as school ends, and up until it begins again in late August) once they turn 10 years old so they can obtain that kind of work experience; they could do this until they turn 17 (and yes, this is my genuine opinion; I'm not being facetious). Anyone have anything they'd like to add (I'm sending my ideas to the Trump Administration next week)!
    Trust the kids are getting paid?

Quote Originally Posted by SpanishMossAntiques View Post

When we were young teens back in the midwest we all got jobs on the farms de-tassling corn! That was also a fun way to meet boys and get a great sun tan.
    I like your idea. Creative thinking and problem solving.

jmo
    Always do the right thing because you do enough things you think are right that end up being wrong-my dad-RIP 1/19/2013

Maybe it's time to get some of those people off of the unemployment list. California, Georgia, Illinois, some of the states mentioned here, have a high unemployment rate.

https://www.bls.gov/web/laus/laumstrk.htm

You'd be wasting the farmer's time. White people don't want to work.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouBelle_LA View Post
    Maybe it's time to get some of those people off of the unemployment list. California, Georgia, Illinois, some of the states mentioned here, have a high unemployment rate.

https://www.bls.gov/web/laus/laumstrk.htm

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast