847 users online (103 members and 744 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

AL - J.B. Beasley, 17, & Tracie Hawlett, 17, Ozark, 31 July 1999 #3

Last edited by bessie; 08-10-2017 at 08:04 PM.
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Hello Thread # 3

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DO YOU KNOW ME?
    Help Identify Lake Pontchartrain Jane Doe - Slidell, Louisiana - June 19, 1986

Red/Brown (Auburn) Hair, 5'2-5'4, 20-30 yrs old, perfect teeth absence of wisdom, Scars; right knee, abdomen, right wrist, prior right hip injury, possible nose surgery, breast implants, 8-12 wks pregnant, marking of a ring left hand ring finger

LSU Faces: http://identifyla.lsu.edu/profile.php?id=383
    NAMUS: https://identifyus.org/cases/852
    Doe: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/16ufla.html

@easongt
    In one of your old posts I noticed,
    "LE possibly bumbled the investigation? Haven't seen anything to suggest this. The local PD, the Alabama State Police and the FBI were all involved in the investigation. So, the "Dream Team" worked on the case together. If one Agency had made a mistake, the other would have been there to correct it"

I would point you to an internet post that was made re: Rickey Stokes who despite his later interview with Chief Spivey (a cover his butt political move imo) that is published one of these threads, where he spoke very candidly and was caught stating that exact theory and explained why (LE bumbled the investigation). He also stated is was commonly known that they suspected a LEO was involved but he never would say his name. He then described how the crime scene was treated in a manner that any evidence they could have obtained was destroyed which directly is the opposite of how you characterize that which would be normal to expect. Stokes was Houston County Coroner at the time if I remember correctly.

As I understand it, there was a second party near Skipperville that accounted for why these girls were in this area as they returned on that road and were looking for the road that cut back to Dothan+Midland City across from that station. JB's boyfriend was waiting for them at a store in Midland City at about that time. LE has a list of the participants of this party and have interviewed them. There is a federal court proceeding where a journalist wanted to release that information to the public to help generate renewed attention and interest in the case but former members of the OPD filed a lawsuit to block it because of what it revealed about how poorly this investigation was handled, leads not followed up on, others stopped due to political influence etc. Typical small town good ole boy mess. Then there were individuals in the area and on local boards (former LE from Ft Rucker) who appeared to resent anyone intruding on their investigative turf in the case locally which push backed aggressively which was sad. The federal judge Myron Thompson ultimately dismissed it once the local lawsuit was backed off on and it was considered not "ripe". It made the person lose interest in the case. These documents were also offered to the local newspaper the Southeast Sun but they did not want to be targeted by the officers who originally investigated the case.

Another interesting development is the "Shined Rabbit" documentary that is promoted on this site or linked several times.
    This hinges around a few minutes caught on tape where a grieving mother ( JB's ) says she felt at some point that night JB was dead. The sister and this newbie film maker are obsessed with the idea that JB's mother killed her, or had her killed. The name "shined rabbit" refers to a quote attributed to the mother where she described a rabbit having a light shield on it and being discovered. There is a clip of that interview online where if you want to save all the time of watching the conspiracy stuff just watch that and form your own opinion. A Houston County LEO who is tied to the sister was involved in helping them.

This case is quite active, not long ago the current chief (Marlos Walker) interviewed Janna's mother again and there is a competing investigation ongoing with the AG's office by the gentleman who was once on this site asking for information, SS.
    There is new lead that has come in as a result of an individual reporting one of the items missing from the girl's car was witnessed being in the possession of someone tied closely to the case.
    Hopefully there can be renewed interest and information come forward that can ultimately solve it.
    I amend to this site and find these posts are quite informative. I had no idea there were this many people looking at this case so I hope these discussions continue so it can ultimately be solved.

Marking my spot.

Quote Originally Posted by otusmicco View Post
    @easongt
    "LE possibly bumbled the investigation? Haven't seen anything to suggest this. The local PD, the Alabama State Police and the FBI were all involved in the investigation. So, the "Dream Team" worked on the case together. If one Agency had made a mistake, the other would have been there to correct it"

I would point you to an internet post that was made re: Rickey Stokes who despite his later interview with Chief Spivey (a cover his butt political move imo) that is published one of these threads, where he spoke very candidly and was caught stating that exact theory and explained why (LE bumbled the investigation). He also stated is was commonly known that they suspected a LEO was involved but he never would say his name. He then described how the crime scene was treated in a manner that any evidence they could have obtained was destroyed which directly is the opposite of how you characterize that which would be normal to expect. Stokes was Houston County Coroner at the time if I remember correctly.

As I understand it, there was a second party near Skipperville that accounted for why these girls were in this area as they returned on that road and were looking for the road that cut back to Dothan+Midland City across from that station. JB's boyfriend was waiting for them at a store in Midland City at about that time. LE has a list of the participants of this party and have interviewed them. There is a federal court proceeding where a journalist wanted to release that information to the public to help generate renewed attention and interest in the case but former members of the OPD filed a lawsuit to block it because of what it revealed about how poorly this investigation was handled, leads not followed up on, others stopped due to political influence etc. Typical small town good ole boy mess. Then there were individuals in the area and on local boards (former LE from Ft Rucker) who appeared to resent anyone intruding on their investigative turf in the case locally which push backed aggressively which was sad. The federal judge Myron Thompson ultimately dismissed it once the local lawsuit was backed off on and it was considered not "ripe". It made the person lose interest in the case. These documents were also offered to the local newspaper the Southeast Sun but they did not want to be targeted by the officers who originally investigated the case.

Another interesting development is the "Shined Rabbit" documentary that is promoted on this site or linked several times.
    This hinges around a few minutes caught on tape where a grieving mother ( JB's ) says she felt at some point that night JB was dead. The sister and this newbie film maker are obsessed with the idea that JB's mother killed her, or had her killed. The name "shined rabbit" refers to a quote attributed to the mother where she described a rabbit having a light shield on it and being discovered. There is a clip of that interview online where if you want to save all the time of watching the conspiracy stuff just watch that and form your own opinion. A Houston County LEO who is tied to the sister was involved in helping them.

This case is quite active, not long ago the current chief (Marlos Walker) interviewed Janna's mother again and there is a competing investigation ongoing with the AG's office by the gentleman who was once on this site asking for information, SS.
    There is new lead that has come in as a result of an individual reporting one of the items missing from the girl's car was witnessed being in the possession of someone tied closely to the case.
    Hopefully there can be renewed interest and information come forward that can ultimately solve it.
    I amend to this site and find these posts are quite informative. I had no idea there were this many people looking at this case so I hope these discussions continue so it can ultimately be solved.
    I am so glad to hear all this. (Especially the part about Chief Walker and the interview!) The guy I'm speaking of once posted he bought a keyring that looked like JB's ring to mess with his ex-girlfriend. He also claims he was a close friend of JB's. Who the hell would do that? It sounds like Chief Walker may be on the right track to me!

Hope your right! I have little faith in Walker given his lack of cooperation with Smith, dismal performance in Abbeville and the obvious patronage at play in his position to certain town business owners. That does not mean he does not have the skill set though. Experience ? Why not let a successful experienced investigator lead that effort when one of the state's best is working it would be my question?
    I think in all fairness as if there is even a shred of possibility to what the former Dothan officer and investigator has said though with his "tape theory" of an attempt by JB to help a friend then he directly implicates that business owner which means Walker under no circumstances should be investigating someone he is that close to historically.
    Just my opinion not trying to implicate anyone and place the odds of it being Ozark PD at nil but its the principle of a department being in charge of a investigation when current and former members are suspect and doesn't fly with me.
    Thats not to imply Walker could not be objective, but even the appearance of impropriety should be avoided in this case given where it is 27 years later. All the more reason to turn over the files to AG's investigator Smith and step aside.
    The way the former officers responded with legal threats to the former Ozark officer and reserve officer and JB's sister and HCR was very suspect behavior that should be considered int hat decision.
    Then you have the fact it was not just one reserve or aux officer but a sworn former Ozark officer ( Dean) that should have been questioned and polygraphed by the FBI, end of story. Your thoughts?
    Last edited by otusmicco; 08-11-2017 at 12:38 PM.

@Bulldog23 Ill read those threads #1 and #2, I'm not familiar with that investigator's posts. Is this a LEO or was he private inv?

@otusmicco Can you give us a short synopsis as you understand it about the tape theory? I don't have a firm grasp on that theory, didn't it have to do with drug running if i remember correctly? and it was a audiotape? and supposedly a break in at Traci's parents house in the days surrounding the murders was thought to be related? JB's attempt to help a friend?

@Bulldog23 Ill read those threads #1 and #2, I'm not familiar with that investigator's posts. Is this a LEO or was he private inv?
    The person I am referring to is not an investigator at all. He is a truck driver (now retired). Otusmicco, you will find some of the other sleuths and me discussing this guy in tread 2. His own posts are on another forum, not Websleuths. (Though it would not surprise me if he reads this board often.) He and a private investigator hired by one of the girl's parents had some extremely interesting conversations on that forum. You can private message me if you need the name of forum and thread.
    Last edited by Bulldog23; 08-11-2017 at 02:55 PM.

Hope your right! I have little faith in Walker given his lack of cooperation with Smith, dismal performance in Abbeville and the obvious patronage at play in his position to certain town business owners. That does not mean he does not have the skill set though. Experience ? Why not let a successful experienced investigator lead that effort when one of the state's best is working it would be my question?
    I think in all fairness as if there is even a shred of possibility to what the former Dothan officer and investigator has said though with his "tape theory" of an attempt by JB to help a friend then he directly implicates that business owner which means Walker under no circumstances should be investigating someone he is that close to historically.
    Just my opinion not trying to implicate anyone and place the odds of it being Ozark PD at nil but its the principle of a department being in charge of a investigation when current and former members are suspect and doesn't fly with me.
    Thats not to imply Walker could not be objective, but even the appearance of impropriety should be avoided in this case given where it is 27 years later. All the more reason to turn over the files to AG's investigator Smith and step aside.
    The way the former officers responded with legal threats to the former Ozark officer and reserve officer and JB's sister and HCR was very suspect behavior that should be considered int hat decision.
    Then you have the fact it was not just one reserve or aux officer but a sworn former Ozark officer ( Dean) that should have been questioned and polygraphed by the FBI, end of story. Your thoughts?
    Hello Otusmicco. Thank you for joining the conversation.

If I am not mistaken, when Investigator Smith was assigned to this case in 2014, Marlos Walker was not the Chief of Police in Ozark and didn't even work for Ozark PD. Chief Spivey was the Ozark PD Chief when the murders occurred and remained in that position until his retirement in January 2015. So, probably if he (Inv. Smith) was denied access to Ozark PD's case files, it probably happened when Spivey was Chief.

If the Tape Theory" you are referring to is the one discussed on the other blog and not the one on the HCR, it involved an individual that had (according to him) befriended JB. The theory was set forth by a private investigator hired by one of the families and basically stated that the person in question had a camera or cameras set up inside his home. To the best of my knowledge, that person is/was not a business owner. As Bulldog23 indicated in his post, he is a truck driver and I have never seen any known connections he had with Chief Walker.

You mentioned 27 years. Not sure what you are referring to? If it is the date of the murders, they occurred 18 years ago this past July 31/Aug 1.

I don't know for sure, but the 4 officers that threatened a lawsuit against the blogger and the others claimed they were falsely accused of criminal behavior. Again, I don't know what they did or may have done, but they reacted the way almost anyone would have reacted if they were falsely accused of committing a crime.

@easongt

Well well. That's a lot to take in.

Otusmicco, Do you mind letting us in on your connection to this case, If any?

This documentary sure seems to have initiated discussion on this case again. Both here at websleuths and elsewhere.

Interesting.
    "Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment" - Rumi

@TedMac
    "it probably happened when Spivey was Chief." that makes more sense. Thank you.

Technically the lawsuit you mentioned was a countersuit of sorts, a previous unreported lawsuit was filed against the the officers in federal court before a lawsuit was filed against the parties you mention. Their lawyer did that as a publicity stunt largely in response. To verify you can read that lawsuit on Pacer and compare the two dates. Read carefully the exhibits regarding former officer from Dothan those should be on this site for others to read but I don't know how to do that.

Second that lawsuit was not accusing the "blogger'", technically I suppose journalist whether I like it or not to be fair to describe him as he has multiple publications listed in the federal court docs.
    His opinion was never voiced as a matter of record he just published what he was told. He was a co-defendant because he published JB's sister's interview. She made the accusations and he published what the sister and a Houston county deputy (Do. Ar.) helping the sister and Rena Crumb stated on the record and in text messages. I believe there was also a fictitious defendant mentioned that I suspect is a former Ozark PD named Denny, Daniel or Dean.
    To prevail they would have had to prove he knew beforehand she was lying and committing "actual malice" which was unprovable. Fairly obvious where that got them, nowhere.
    But I think it did make everyone who as talking about this case and coming forward with information shut up which harmed the effort that was being made and gave Smith less leads. I believe all it takes is one person with he right piece of the puzzle to come forward and Smith can solve it.

The tape theory I am referring to is the one put forth by former Dothan police officer that has been ridiculed. Im keeping an open mind on that as given that his father was what he was large car dealer and gambling man in Dothan so you never know. In my mind its a possibility.
    In some of the documents put up which I now can't find I assume they were taken down, there were copies of several letters by that former officer to the attorney general and FBI and even Governor at one point.
    His theory as best I understand it a taped conversation involving senior OPD officer and former DA from Geneva who went on the be a federal judge and then resigned. He claimed the tape was with JB that night and was noted missing in the ABI docs on the car. JB was going to give the tape to a older friend who was in some sort of trouble.
    I am not agreeing with him to be very clear, but he was persistent for over a decade trying to get fed intervention outside the sate per what those docs stated.

" 27" I meant 17/18 sorry.

@CoolJ former LE and connection to HCR crowd from HS.
    Just believe like much of what I've read here this case needs to get solved regardless of who's toes get stepped on. Been observing a while but was not in a position where I could comment previously.

@TedMac
    "it probably happened when Spivey was Chief." that makes more sense. Thank you.

Technically the lawsuit you mentioned was a countersuit of sorts, a previous unreported lawsuit was filed against the the officers in federal court before a lawsuit was filed against the parties you mention. Their lawyer did that as a publicity stunt largely in response. To verify you can read that lawsuit on Pacer and compare the two dates. Read carefully the exhibits regarding former officer from Dothan those should be on this site for others to read but I don't know how to do that.

Second that lawsuit was not accusing the "blogger'", technically I suppose journalist whether I like it or not to be fair to describe him as he has multiple publications listed in the federal court docs.
    His opinion was never voiced as a matter of record he just published what he was told. He was a co-defendant because he published JB's sister's interview. She made the accusations and he published what the sister and a Houston county deputy (Do. Ar.) helping the sister and Rena Crumb stated on the record and in text messages. I believe there was also a fictitious defendant mentioned that I suspect is a former Ozark PD named Denny, Daniel or Dean.
    To prevail they would have had to prove he knew beforehand she was lying and committing "actual malice" which was unprovable. Fairly obvious where that got them, nowhere.
    But I think it did make everyone who as talking about this case and coming forward with information shut up which harmed the effort that was being made and gave Smith less leads. I believe all it takes is one person with he right piece of the puzzle to come forward and Smith can solve it.

The tape theory I am referring to is the one put forth by former Dothan police officer that has been ridiculed. Im keeping an open mind on that as given that his father was what he was large car dealer and gambling man in Dothan so you never know. In my mind its a possibility.
    In some of the documents put up which I now can't find I assume they were taken down, there were copies of several letters by that former officer to the attorney general and FBI and even Governor at one point.
    His theory as best I understand it a taped conversation involving senior OPD officer and former DA from Geneva who went on the be a federal judge and then resigned. He claimed the tape was with JB that night and was noted missing in the ABI docs on the car. JB was going to give the tape to a older friend who was in some sort of trouble.
    I am not agreeing with him to be very clear, but he was persistent for over a decade trying to get fed intervention outside the sate per what those docs stated.

" 27" I meant 17/18 sorry.
    How would JB have come into possession of such a tape? What relationship did she have with any of the people you mentioned?

The youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx4...PfN4_DxzkDrECQ
    took it down. It was explained by this former Dothan officer in a interview. I don't want to try to recall it from memory but Ill ask them about it.

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast