710 users online (105 members and 605 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

I did not read all of the posted information so bare with me here. Was the victim buried or cremated. Was ALL the evidence kept or has some oral been destroyed. Has anyone been a POI in this case so far.

Quote Originally Posted by shadetree44 View Post
    I did not read all of the posted information so bare with me here. Was the victim buried or cremated. Was ALL the evidence kept or has some oral been destroyed. Has anyone been a POI in this case so far.
    Both victims were buried.

Not sure about all the evidence. The car the bodies were found in was processed and turned over to the insurance company.

Johnny William Barrentine (now deceased) was arrested 30 days after the murders. The case never got past the preliminary hearing stage and the charges were dismissed. LE has mentioned at least two other people as POI but they have never been charged.

So no field party. But it was a birthday party for JB. So this brings me way back to one of my original thoughts on this case..... Why go out of town to your own bday party especially when you will only have less than an hour to spend there.

Who was hosting her bday party?

ETA- the whole timeline of this case is on the premise they got lost looking for a field party.

Are the two families getting different information from authorities?
    Last edited by CoolJ; 08-20-2017 at 07:36 PM.
    "Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment" - Rumi

Glad to see this get attention. The comments, however, are horrible.

I'm sorry, I meant to reply to the al.com link.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolJ View Post
    So no field party. But it was a birthday party for JB. So this brings me way back to one of my original thoughts on this case..... Why go out of town to your own bday party especially when you will only have less than an hour to spend there.

ETA- the whole timeline of this case is on the premise they got lost looking for a field party.

Are the two families getting different information from authorities?
    Not sure about the question of the two families are getting different info. I am trying to get some clarification on the field party v birthday party, but I am not sure it much matters. I can't help but wonder if it wasn't a party that may have simply included some type of recognition for J.B. I think that would explain the timeline and them only having an hour to spend.

Now that's interesting.

No better time than now to clear things like that up. Thanks to the upcoming documentary, this fairly obscure case is going to have a bit more attention than its ever had before.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolJ View Post

What little is known of the timeline never made much sense and now that we hear there was no field party, it reinforces my feelings that their real plans did not include that..

Quote Originally Posted by somequestions View Post
    I am a little surprised so many people think this case involves a conspiracy.
    That's just how the world is now unfortunately. People see conspiracies in everything.

Quote Originally Posted by otusmicco View Post

Another interesting development is the "Shined Rabbit" documentary that is promoted on this site or linked several times.
    This hinges around a few minutes caught on tape where a grieving mother ( JB's ) says she felt at some point that night JB was dead. The sister and this newbie film maker are obsessed with the idea that JB's mother killed her, or had her killed. The name "shined rabbit" refers to a quote attributed to the mother where she described a rabbit having a light shield on it and being discovered.
    Wait....what?

Boy....talk about an unconventional theory being thrown into the mix. Not sure where they're going with that but I'm intrigued. I always thought whatever happened centered around JB.... and Tracie was in the extremely unfortunate position of being with the wrong person at the wrong place at the wrong time.

I hope those involved in the documentary know what they're doing. Instead of shining rabbits its going to shine lights on this case. They need to get it on the right track before attention starts to fade in the aftermath.

I'm really hoping they avoid the conspiracy stuff like the plague.

Hopefully there can be renewed interest and information come forward that can ultimately solve it.
    There will be renewed interest simply because a documentary will be released. The key is steering it in the right direction.

That article certainly clears up some information. I have always thought they were headed to a field party too. Like I have written numerous times, this is why family members and police have more informed information than the rest of us.

About the only thing I can add is that I remember one time I had to get to a certain location by a certain time and there came a point where I knew that even if I found the location that I would not get there in time. But psychologically I had to find the location to say that I found it or else I went home and felt I accomplished nothing. I guess I felt that I could at least say I found it even if it did not matter.

I am not saying that is what J.B. Beasley felt when she was driving around Tracie Hawlett the night of July 31, 1999, but if it had been me I would have wanted to find the party even if it would not have mattered. Again I have no proof to support this theory.

The mystery of why, when, and where they drove that night is what is so intriguing to me about this murder case.

We know they were headed to a birthday party for JB. We know JB called a girl at the party that night. We know that the mother of the girl throwing the party was dating a guy who says he had given JB keys to his apartment. We know that this same 40 something year old man considered himself a confidant and a close friend to JB. We know that there was an allegation that this guy was taping teenagers without their consent in his apartment (origin of tape rumor?). I'm not sure where he was living at the time of the murders, but if it is in or near Ozark....there you go. I don't know if he killed them... I am assuming the police know all this and have PROBABLY tested his DNA. But as TedMac said, I think he is in it up to his eyeballs. I know that I am running over the same old ground here, but I am a bulldog, and once I get my teeth into something it is hard to let go.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog23 View Post
    We know they were headed to a birthday party for JB. We know JB called a girl at the party that night. We know that the mother of the girl throwing the party was dating a guy who says he had given JB keys to his apartment. We know that this same 40 something year old man considered himself a confidant and a close friend to JB. We know that there was an allegation that this guy was taping teenagers without their consent in his apartment (origin of tape rumor?). I'm not sure where he was living at the time of the murders, but if it is in or near Ozark....there you go. I don't know if he killed them... I am assuming the police know all this and have PROBABLY tested his DNA. But as TedMac said, I think he is in it up to his eyeballs. I know that I am running over the same old ground here, but I am a bulldog, and once I get my teeth into something it is hard to let go.
    This is the first I have heard of this guy. But I have not read the Wiregrass forum. Is that where this info came from?

Quote Originally Posted by killarney rose View Post
    This is the first I have heard of this guy. But I have not read the Wiregrass forum. Is that where this info came from?
    Yes Killarney Rose. This information can be found in the forum "JB and Tracie (Murdered in Ozark)" and several other threads on Wiregrass dot com. It takes a long time to read... and a lot of it is irrelevant, but there are some conversations between a self identified "person of interest"- his words- and a private detective who was hired by one of the girl's parents. I read it all during a layover at the Atlanta airport one night. It is worth your time if you care about this case!

I'm not sure I buy the Wiregrass forum guy. I agree he comes off as suspicious and scummy...but I tend to just think he's a narcissist that likes playing games for what amounts to attention and celebrity in his world. But obviously, no stone should go unturned.

It's been a while since I read through all the threads...has anybody postulated the theory that the girls were victim of an informant sting gone wrong?

What I'm envisioning is a scenario like this...

Girls (or one of them) get nabbed by the cops with a little bit of weed (which was a bigger deal back then). Cops press upon the girls to set up and possibly record a buy with a dealer, or else they'll be prosecuted. Girls are in way over their head, their informant status is exposed, and the dealer takes them out.

Such a scenario might explain:
    a) why they're whereabouts are not understood (wouldn't tell anyone if they were trying to make a buy)
    b) why the police have been less than forthcoming in the investigation...this would be a scandalous outcome for the police
    c) possibly a warped origin of the "tape" theory?

This has happened from time to time...this case for example...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Rachel_Hoffman

But there have been others:
    http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...the-throwaways

One thing I remember from when J.B.'s sister was interviewed by websleuths two years ago was that she said J.B. and Tracie pulled out of the Big Little parking lot first and Ms. Merrit and her daughter followed. So if J.B. and Tracie did turn around it would have to be sometime after Ms. Merrit turned off.

There are so many scenarios you can come up with. I thought maybe they were kidnapped and taken to a house that has flood damage because of standing in water if the kidnapping happened in town.

So many ideas but I really do not think it was a conspiracy or that either of them were involved with drugs. I just think if you get creative maybe there is a possibility of figuring out where J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett went the night of July 31, 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by somequestions View Post

There are so many scenarios you can come up with. I thought maybe they were kidnapped and taken to a house that has flood damage because of standing in water if the kidnapping happened in town.

So many ideas but I really do not think it was a conspiracy or that either of them were involved with drugs. I just think if you get creative maybe there is a possibility of figuring out where J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett went the night of July 31, 1999.
    You can deifinitely get creative. But I have always believed that if we ever know the truth, that it is going to be something as simple as the girls stopping somewhere that was open to use the restroom. Maybe the truck stop or rest area out on 231. And they were accosted by their killer there.

As far as the flooded house, IIRC there was no flooding in the area at that time. And one thing that has always gotten put aside in our discussions is that there is a small creek on Herring St. just down from where the girls were found.

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast