837 users online (110 members and 727 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    Hello All, first time poster here on this site and in this forum. I have always been interested in this case over the years and really started reading into it again over the past week with the discovery that Lisa Theris was found alive (also in southeast Alabama).

First, I have a question. I read time and time again about the car being muddy but the one or two pictures I can find of the side of the car show just a little light colored dust/residue behind the driver side tires. When I think of muddy I picture thick mud like driving through mud holes and such. What I see on the car is what could be picked up driving around the town and country. Are there better pictures of the car and the mud?

Second, I have a theory on the driver's license being on the dashboard. As we know the local police found the car in the morning. I think most likely the patrol cop that found the car was told to keep an eye on it until investigators could arrive. At some point a supervisor probably asked if there was any sign of the missing girls or if the car could be verified to be JB's. I could see the patrol cop lean into the open window, seeing the purse, and retrieving the driver's license then placing the license on the dashboard as to not further destroy evidence and not admitting he went into the car and purse. We know there was poor evidence control and multiple errors made from the beginning of this investigation. Was the license ever fingerprinted?

Quote Originally Posted by aegis100 View Post
    Second, I have a theory on the driver's license being on the dashboard. As we know the local police found the car in the morning. I think most likely the patrol cop that found the car was told to keep an eye on it until investigators could arrive. At some point a supervisor probably asked if there was any sign of the missing girls or if the car could be verified to be JB's. I could see the patrol cop lean into the open window, seeing the purse, and retrieving the driver's license then placing the license on the dashboard as to not further destroy evidence and not admitting he went into the car and purse. We know there was poor evidence control and multiple errors made from the beginning of this investigation. Was the license ever fingerprinted?
    The driver's license was explained by OPD. They took the driver's license out to make a picture of it, as part of processing the scene.

Thanks Savage, I didn't see where that was reported just several theories on how the license got on the dashboard.

For anyone new to this case, J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett stopped at two gas stations the night of their murder. I thought I would give a small logistical breakdown of the directions they could have taken that night.

When the girls left Tracie's home, I am guessing they went up US 431 and ended up at the gas station depicted in the show Haunting Evidence. If I am correct that gas station is located on the southwest corner of where US 431 and State Road 173 meet(actually the end of rt. 173). Supposedly they were headed a few places. Some say Haleburg, others Midland City. Or maybe they were headed to Ozark.

If the girls had wanted to get to Haleburg, the road they needed to take was across the street from the gas station. This road is Henry County Road 99. If they had wanted to get to Midland City, they need only to exit the gas station from the side where the payphones were on and turn left. This would lead them down 173 which would turn into state road 134 in Headland and then over to US 231 in Midland City.

Google maps has two ways to get to Haleburg. The first is a southern route. The second is the northern route using Henry County Road 99. They may have been instructed to take the first route, and that could be why they called from the Headland gas station because the ironic thing is that if they had taken the northern route they would not already be lost at that point in the trip.

Whatever happened that night the one thing you can be reasonably certain is that they went north either from US 431 or they continued to follow 173 up to State road 27 which led them to Ozark.

From an investigative standpoint what this means to me is that they were not followed and they were not targeted in some type of professional hit. These routes are dark and desolate at night. Why would a murderer wait till they get to Ozark to then pull them over and kidnap them with more witnesses and chances of being spotted?

It is the same thing with their purses. If they were killed by some drug addict or drifter it would be strange that the person did not at least ruffle through their purses for loose cash. I got the impression from watching Haunting Evidence that the killer did not take any of their items. But did the purses at least look like they had been gone through or did everything appear in place?

In Jacqui's video, she said they were on their way to Haleburg when they ran into the 2 dudes without shirts (IIRC). In the most recent article about the murders in the Dothan Eagle, Carol Roberts said they were not going to a field party; instead, they were headed to a gathering in honor of JB's birthday. So was the gathering in honor of JB's birthday Haleburg or Midland City? I know it was at or near her friend and fellow dancer JH's house- JB called and spoke with JH's sister-, but I don't know where JH lived. If they were headed to somewhere they were invited and they ran into 2 threatening dudes the same night they were murdered, I think that it is probably a significant fact. I would want to know who invited them to that locale. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by somequestions;13583709 For anyone new to this case, J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett stopped at two gas stations the night of their murder. I thought I would give a small logistical breakdown of the directions they could have taken that night.
    When the girls left Tracie's home, I am guessing they went up US 431 and ended up at the gas station depicted in the show Haunting Evidence. If I am correct that gas station is located on the southwest corner of where US 431 and State Road 173 meet(actually the end of rt. 173). Supposedly they were headed a few places. Some say Haleburg, others Midland City. Or maybe they were headed to Ozark.

If the girls had wanted to get to Haleburg, the road they needed to take was across the street from the gas station. This road is Henry County Road 99. If they had wanted to get to Midland City, they need only to exit the gas station from the side where the payphones were on and turn left. This would lead them down 173 which would turn into state road 134 in Headland and then over to US 231 in Midland City.

Google maps has two ways to get to Haleburg. The first is a southern route. The second is the northern route using Henry County Road 99. They may have been instructed to take the first route, and that could be why they called from the Headland gas station because the ironic thing is that if they had taken the northern route [B
    they would not already [/B]be lost at that point in the trip.

Whatever happened that night the one thing you can be reasonably certain is that they went north either from US 431 or they continued to follow 173 up to State road 27 which led them to Ozark.

From an investigative standpoint what this means to me is that they were not followed and they were not targeted in some type of professional hit. These routes are dark and desolate at night. Why would a murderer wait till they get to Ozark to then pull them over and kidnap them with more witnesses and chances of being spotted?

It is the same thing with their purses. If they were killed by some drug addict or drifter it would be strange that the person did not at least ruffle through their purses for loose cash. I got the impression from watching Haunting Evidence that the killer did not take any of their items. But did the purses at least look like they had been gone through or did everything appear in place?
    BBM M.O.O. of course, but it was not a professional hit. It also was not a robbery or sex crime. The murderer waited for them in Ozark because that was where he was. He baited them there with some sort of story-probably from a phone call to J.B. earlier in the day before Tracie was with her. He didn't pull them over-they were invited there and they went to him. He was alone unless he had an accomplice (which is entirely possible) and that way there was no witnesses to him being seen with them. He hit them at night so he could operate under the cloak of darkness.
    Last edited by TedMac; 08-24-2017 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TedMac View Post
    BBM M.O.O. of course, but it was not a professional hit. It also was not a robbery or sex crime. The murderer waited for them in Ozark because that was where he was. He baited them there with some sort of story-probably from a phone call to J.B. earlier in the day before Tracie was with her. He didn't pull them over-they were invited there and they went to him. He was alone unless he had an accomplice (which is entirely possible) and that way there was no witnesses to him being seen with them. He hit them at night so he could operate under the cloak of darkness.
    I considered this as a possibility too until that Shined Rabbit trailer said Tracie Hawlett called her mom at 11:38pm. When people tend to meet they tend to choose defined times like 11:30 or midnight. And given the location of where the car was found, it just seems like to me if they were going to meet someone he would be SOMEWHERE in the area and it would not take 22 minutes to get to his house.

Then you have to ask yourself why J.B. Beasley would have her friend waste money on a payphone call when she could have called from this person's house. Or maybe J.B. informed Tracie by driving directly to the guy's house. I just cannot imagine Tracie being happy about that after she just called her mom, anymore than spending money on a payphone call when the guy they are supposed to meet is probably within the 22 minutes.

I am just saying no matter where you drive, you would probably leave Ozark, AL in less than 22 minutes. And like I wrote about the directions I think there killer lives or happened to be in Ozark, AL.

My thoughts have always been that the call home to mom was to buy time because they knew they had somewhere else to go. This is what teenagers do.
    "Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment" - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by CoolJ View Post
    My thoughts have always been that the call home to mom was to buy time because they knew they had somewhere else to go. This is what teenagers do.
    Yep. All they were doing with that call was covering Tracie's curfew base.

Quote Originally Posted by somequestions View Post

Then you have to ask yourself why J.B. Beasley would have her friend waste money on a payphone call when she could have called from this person's house. Or maybe J.B. informed Tracie by driving directly to the guy's house. I just cannot imagine Tracie being happy about that after she just called her mom, anymore than spending money on a payphone call when the guy they are supposed to meet is probably within the 22 minutes.
    This was during the time that called ID was up and coming...maybe they were smart enough to know that calling from any location other than a payphone would tip off the parents...

Quote Originally Posted by aegis100 View Post
    Hello All, first time poster here on this site and in this forum.

I read time and time again about the car being muddy but the one or two pictures I can find of the side of the car show just a little light colored dust/residue behind the driver side tires. When I think of muddy I picture thick mud like driving through mud holes and such. What I see on the car is what could be picked up driving around the town and country. Are there better pictures of the car and the mud?
    Hello and welcome aegis. I've wondered the same about the dirty condition described. I can't see it in the little bit of video and maybe a photo that I've seen. Headland cop said it was dirty when he saw it around 10:30. I'm sure there are better photos but getting to view them is another story.

Quote Originally Posted by laylandad View Post
    This was during the time that called ID was up and coming...maybe they were smart enough to know that calling from any location other than a payphone would tip off the parents...
    I don't know if that's why the call was made but that is a very good point and possibility. caller id had been around for a while then. 25 minutes or so to get to ozark from headland leaves approximately 30 minutes of time unaccounted for.

You know I never thought of caller id. That is a possibility. So Tracie Hawlett called from a payphone because she knew her mother could look at the caller id.

I think that clears up any questions I had about the payphone call and the time and location of the car.

I considered this as a possibility too until that Shined Rabbit trailer said Tracie Hawlett called her mom at 11:38pm
    . When people tend to meet they tend to choose defined times like 11:30 or midnight. And given the location of where the car was found, it just seems like to me if they were going to meet someone he would be SOMEWHERE in the area and it would not take 22 minutes to get to his house.

I am just saying no matter where you drive, you would probably leave Ozark, AL in less than 22 minutes. And like I wrote about the directions I think there killer lives or happened to be in Ozark, AL.
    I am not sure what you are trying to say in your first paragraph. Who knows what time they intended to meet? 11:00, 11:15 or even 11:30? The girls spent a good amount of time trying to find the 2 boys they hoped to meet. At what point they gave up on locating them is unknown and they probably weren't sure how long it would take them to get to Ozark from where they were. They arrived at the Big/Little Store at approximately 11:38 pm and Tracie called her mom immediately because she was already late for her curfew. That was probably the first chance they had to call.

As far as her not calling from the person's house they were going to in Ozark...Maybe the guy didn't have a home phone. Even in 1999, some people were already using cell phones exclusively. Also, it may have been a long-distance call from Ozark to Dothan. She (Tracie) may have felt it to be inappropriate to use the phone of someone she may or may not have known to make a long-distance call. They may have been planning to not even get out of the car-maybe hoped to either pick up or drop off a tape and head home. Whatever their plan was, Tracie thought her mother would have been waiting up for her. The phone call at 11:38 would only buy her about 30 minutes.

TedMac...

It buys more time than that. It establishes contact with the parent waiting, and it plants the seed right before 'zero hour' that she's not yet on the way home(just the call itself proves this) and that if she is running late, her mom already knows by the call that she's probably on her way home and will be home any minute, which also buys more time.

If the girls don't get murdered and normal plans occur, Tracie probably calls an hour later pretending they had car trouble(or insert a thousand other teen excuses) and they're REALLY on the way home now, which actually buys even more time as the cycle can repeat if they choose to do so. Once curfew has been violated, a teen is in no hurry to get home. The punishment will be no different if you break it by one or several hours.

Quote Originally Posted by singularity View Post
    TedMac...

It buys more time than that. It establishes contact with the parent waiting, and it plants the seed right before 'zero hour' that she's not yet on the way home(just the call itself proves this) and that if she is running late, her mom already knows by the call that she's probably on her way home and will be home any minute, which also buys more time.

If the girls don't get murdered and normal plans occur, Tracie probably calls an hour later pretending they had car trouble(or insert a thousand other teen excuses) and they're REALLY on the way home now, which actually buys even more time as the cycle can repeat if they choose to do so. Once curfew has been violated, a teen is in no hurry to get home. The punishment will be no different if you break it by one or several hours.
    Tracie told her mom that the were in Ozark and headed home. Carol (her mother) was knowledgable of the distance from Ozark to Dothan and felt she would be home within 30 minutes. There is no evidence that they planned to make a second call pretending to have car trouble (or any other teen excuses). We don't know (and probably will never know) what they planned to do after the phone call, but there is zero evidence that they were planning to stay out much later. Based on the investigation of the private investigator, they planned to make a quick stop and either pick up or drop off a tape that a certain individual either wanted or had in his possession. He was in or very near Ozark. They could have easily met with him and headed home and been there in 30 minutes.

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast