NJ NJ - Kearny, off NJ Turnpike, BlkMale 35-45, UP1509, Sz12 Wmn's Jordache jeans, Aug'93

anthrobones

Reaction score
http://doenetwork.us/cases/686umnj.htmlhttp://doenetwork.org/cases/686umnj.html

Unidentified Black Male

• The victim was discovered on August 11, 1993 off of the New Jersey Turnpike, Essex County, New jersey
  • Estimated Date of Death: June 1, 1993
Vital Statistics

• Estimated Year of Birth: 1948 - 1958
  • Approximate Height and Weight: 5'7" - 5'10"; 150 - 175 lbs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Black hair. The victim had a healed fracture of distal in the lower right leg.
  • Dentals: Available.
  • Clothing: The victim was found wearing woman sized 12 "Jordache" blue jeans, a blue short-sleeved dress shirt with the logo "Marriot Host" on the left sleeve, green "Vans" plain style tennis shoes, and bikini style underwear.
  • Jewelry: The victim was found wearing black rosary beads, a gold neck chain with a gold crucifix on it, a string type necklace with leather squares that say "Amor" (love) and "Paz" (peace), a green charm pouch containing seeds, and a black and white "Suizo Quartz" sweep hand wristwatch.
  • Other: He was carrying two Toyota keys with a "Commando Car Service" key chain.
Case History
The victim's remains were recovered on August 11, 1993 off of the NJ Turnpike.

Just thinking out loud:

Looking at the victim’s jewelry I think his religion could have been Hoodoo/Catholicism.

Info on Hoodoo: The hoodoo tradition places emphasis on personal magical power and thus it lacks strong links to any specific form of theology and can be adapted to any one of several forms of outward religious worship. Although an individual practitioner may take on students, hoodoo is not an obviously hierarchical system. Teachings and rituals are handed down from a one practitioner to another, but there are no priests or priestesses and no division between initiates and laity. Root doctors and gifted readers are widely sought after by clients. Whereas in the typical Protestant Christian social model magic-workers are shunned or relegated to the outskirts of the community, African-American conjures may be pillars of their community and well-respected members of their churches and fraternal orders. The concept of talismans and pouches to carry such charms has been used in many different cultures since ancient times, under various names - mojo bags, medicine bags, charm bags, witches sachets and gris gris. This may be a place for LE to start. A Hoodoo Reader or Root Doctor may be able to identify this man by his mojo bag and it’s contents.

Based on Doc's post he could have also been a Taxi Driver. If this were made public... a passenger may remember him if he was a driver... just from the description of his jewelry.

We need a TV show called "Unidentified" or "Missing & Unidentified". It should be the next reality show.
I would watch it ;)

Maybe it's just the picture, but the keys look old/stained to me.

The watch--I think Suizo is a Japanese brand? Google cannot find anything good on that company.

The victim had a healed fracture of distal in the lower right leg.
Of the distal what? Fib or Tib? Argh. I guess they left that out after "distal."

The victim was found wearing woman sized 12 "Jordache" blue jeans
Woman's??

Yaya said:
. . .Based on Doc's post he could have also been a Taxi Driver. If this were made public... a passenger may remember him if he was a driver... just from the description of his jewelry. . .
DO you think perhaps he had a fare who suddenly decided to ride all the way to NJ (maybe at gun point) and then rob and kill him on the other end? If so I would think the taxi would have been reported stolen in NY when he didn't turn up. Maybe it was reported and somewhere L.E. are looking for a cab driver who "took off" with one of the company cabs. If the Cab was not recovered then maybe the perp used it for a time so he got transportation to NJ, cash money, and a vehicle out of the deal.

Yaya said:
. . .We need a TV show called "Unidentified" or "Missing & Unidentified". It should be the next reality show.
I would watch it ;)
I would like to see a 24/7 missing person/unsolved crime network, like a CNN for crime.

About the shirt--I know Marriott is a hotel. Is it anything else though?

Without really delving into it, my first thought is a valet for a Marriot hotel--some hotels in NY/NJ use contract valet parking services (the hospital I work at uses a contract valet company). Maybe he was carjacked picking up someone's vehicle.

Nothing on Marriot Host, but I did find Host Marriot...Appears to be the parent company.
http://www.hostmarriott.com/

shadowangel said:
Without really delving into it, my first thought is a valet for a Marriot hotel--some hotels in NY/NJ use contract valet parking services (the hospital I work at uses a contract valet company). Maybe he was carjacked picking up someone's vehicle.

Nothing on Marriot Host, but I did find Host Marriot...Appears to be the parent company.
http://www.hostmarriott.com/
Oooo Thanks for reminding me of that. I forgot about the shirt. You have a point. I don't yet see why the stolen car would not have been reported unless the perp was the cars owner. I suppose it might have been reported but if it was out of state then maybe L.E. has not yet put all the pieces together? Without the car VIN to turn up on a computerized list they might not have put it together with the car theft report.

I would assume the Toyota wasn't stolen, since he had the keys with him...So another vehicle had to be involved. Very strange the company never reported anything. Maybe he was an "undocumented worker" and the company didn't want any uncomfortable questions?

shadowangel said:
Maybe he was an "undocumented worker" and the company didn't want any uncomfortable questions?
Shadow that was my first thought... undocumented worker or illegal. The jewelry he had on made me think of someone from... maybe Haiti.

If Shadow is right on the undocumented worker then... Doc, You have a good point about the Taxi fare who suddenly decided to ride all the way to NJ (maybe at gun point) and then rob and kill him on the other end? I have written about two such cases myself, both drivers were robbed and killed. One suspect ditched the car close to the victims body and the other kept the Taxi for 3 days and then ditched it in a town about 50 miles away.

The taxi company definitely wouldn't want undocumented workers known about.

Keep in mind, we're not talking much distance here...Out of NYC across the George Washington Bridge, south a few miles on the Turnpike, and you're in Essex County. Or he could have crossed into Jersey City...Anyway, this would be a common run for anyone in the City.

I have a friend who works for Marriott Host; it's is the catering branch of the Marriott corporation. Among other things, they provide airline meals for many airlines and operate corporate cafeterias (my friend is a short order cook at a caf that serves a small local industrial park). I don't know whether they operate valet service or not, but if the uniform was his, it seems unlikely he was a cab driver. Unless he was holding down two jobs?

I'll make these observations for whatever they might be worth.

clothing - strange if you ask me. the man was wearing a woman's pair of jeans and bikini style underwear. not that bikinis are in and of themselves odd but the fact they made reference to it at all is strange.

keys - I am certain LE contemporaneously checked out the car services.

religious artifacts - certainly implies some Catholicism and some Caribbean influence.

the UID could well have been Afro-Cuban and some possible Santeria mix thrown in for religious beliefs.

I can tell you this much about taxi drivers in and around Newark NJ. other than the taxi services that run regular routes to Newark Airport, the common practice is that one person owns the taxi, i.e. registers and insures it, and someone else drives it. they are never employees in the classic sense, they are all independent contractors. Typically they split the fares 50-50 between the owner and driver. On any given day any one of a number of people might drive the taxi on behalf of the owner so there is no way of knowing how many sets of keys might exist for each taxi.

Assuming that the keys belonged to a real company named "Commando Car Service", I can only infer that no vehicle was stolen otherwise that would have been reported.

Pack of Marlboro cigarettes inside front breast pocket along with a white matchbook cover, 10 and 5 dollar bills, and a white piece of paper with 2 phone number sand the names "Jorge" and "Luis" written on it.

Wonder what info the police got from the phone numbers.

He was a smoker, apparently.

you would hope that would have been the first thing LE did was to call Jorge and Luis.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/d/dash_jeffrey.html
I found Jeffrey G. Dash, missing from Stamford CT:

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/d/dash_jeffrey.html
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/4235dmct.html
http://www.nampn.org/cases/dash_jeffrey.html
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/3447/63/

Mr. Dash's bloodstained car was found beside I95 in New Rochelle, NY, which is roughly 30-45 minutes from where the body was found. He disappeared March 4, 1993, which is a couple of months earlier than Doenet estimates his death. Namus just says 1993. He's black, 5'9".

Negatives: At 24, he's ten years too young. At 215 lbs. I doubt he'd fit into size 12 jeans.

Could go either way: no mention of leg fracture; Dash's scar would be unlikely to still be visible after several months. There's almost no additional information available.

The women's jeans and bikini underwear immediately stand out; I'm wondering if police looked into any hate crimes in the area at the same time. In the early 90's, it's possible that Jorge and Luis may have been unwilling to talk to police about their relationship to this man out of fear or shame :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy
Back