790 users online (76 members and 714 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    10,861

    MI - Ingham Co., Remains found in Container in Grand River, Aug'17

    Body parts found in container in the Grand River

    AURELIUS TWP. - Human remains were found in the Grand River on Friday near the McNamara Canoe Landing in western Ingham County.
    Ingham County Sheriff's deputies were called to the intersection at South Waverly Road and West Columbia Road, about eight miles west of Mason.
    Several people were pulling debris from the river when they discovered what they thought may have been a human bone, according to a news release from the sheriff's office.

    Deputies responded and found a "strong indication" that additional remains could be submerged. The news release did not indicate a time for the call.
    The Capital Area Dive Team responded and found a submerged container with additional human remains.
    http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/s...ver/561936001/
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. Romans 12:21

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    17,535
    OMG. I have relatives in Mason and around the area.

    Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    40
    Following.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    10,861
    The only missing person from Mason that I can find is Franklin Gottschalk, missing since 1997. Some of his items were found on theShiawassee St Bridge in Lansing, which goes over the Grand River. Divers searched the river and found nothing. I wonder if it's possible for remains in a container to travel that far down the Grand River?

    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lin+Gottschalk

    https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/9159/

    Distance from the bridge to the Canoe Landing near where these remains were found: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/42.7...8!2d42.5827685

    Of course this could be any missing person from Ingham County, MI or elsewhere. Just thought Franklin's story was interesting.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. Romans 12:21

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    17,535
    Yeah, could very well float that far, or even farther.

    Though it sounds like he was suicidal, and I can't quite figure out any scenarios where a suicidal jumper's remains would wind up in a plastic container...
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    10,861
    Quote Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
    Yeah, could very well float that far, or even farther.

    Though it sounds like he was suicidal, and I can't quite figure out any scenarios where a suicidal jumper's remains would wind up in a plastic container...
    His Charley Project page says foul play is suspected: http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/..._franklin.html
    Last edited by Gardener1850; 08-12-2017 at 11:00 PM.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. Romans 12:21

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    17,535
    He's the most likely person at the moment, given limited information.

    Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    10,861
    Well, there are a number of people missing from Lansing, which really isn't that far away.
    Here are some of their threads:
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ng-30-May-1973
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ng-15-May-2001
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ng-11-Nov-2008
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. Romans 12:21

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
    He's the most likely person at the moment, given limited information.

    Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    Have they confirmed whether the remains are male or female yet?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener1850 View Post
    Well, there are a number of people missing from Lansing, which really isn't that far away.
    Here are some of their threads:
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ng-30-May-1973
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ng-15-May-2001
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ng-11-Nov-2008
    Paige Renkowski was last seen in Fowlerville, right on 96, which would put her only about 30 minutes away, too.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    663
    Quote Originally Posted by mittenstate1988 View Post
    Paige Renkowski was last seen in Fowlerville, right on 96, which would put her only about 30 minutes away, too.
    Paige disappeared in 1990, and large plastic containers weren't ubiquitous then like they are now, so I'd say the odds favor a more recent case. I tend to think Franklin Gottschalk was a suicide, so I'll be surprised if the remains turn out to be his.
    I've been following the Danielle Stislicki case closely, but so far we haven't heard about the POI in that case having any connections to Ingham County.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozoner View Post
    Paige disappeared in 1990, and large plastic containers weren't ubiquitous then like they are now, so I'd say the odds favor a more recent case. I tend to think Franklin Gottschalk was a suicide, so I'll be surprised if the remains turn out to be his.
    I've been following the Danielle Stislicki case closely, but so far we haven't heard about the POI in that case having any connections to Ingham County.
    I wasn't stating that I believed it was Paige or Franklin, I was simply pointing it there are plenty more cases that are local that could be considered aside from the 5 links posted above my comment. Paige was from Okemos and went missing in Fowlerville while on her way home. She lived around 10 miles from this so when I saw someone had posted a few links for others missing in the mid-90s, I just wanted to point out there could be several others to consider. Not limited to Ingram County -- Livingston, Shiawassee, Jackson and Eaton are all within a 30 minute drive. I also think plastic storage bins were used plenty in the 90s but we can agree to disagree on that. My parents used to keep Christmas lights in them and my grandparents used the barrel type to store dolls and books. We've got a zillion of the. In my parents' basement. I don't think that fact alone is dispositive of anything. It's weird they haven't told reporters if it was a man, woman or child yet. I really hope it's not a kid.

    I have followed Danielle's case very closely, as well. Her parents are from Fowlerville (which is ironically where Paige Renkowski went missing from), and again, is about 25-30 minutes away from the location where thy found this body. I do not believe it is her whatsoever but it would be interesting to know if her driver's license had her Farmington Hills address on it or her parents' Fowlerville address on it.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    17,535
    Upstream is more likely than immediately in the neighborhood, I would think.

    One of my relatives says it looks to him like it must have been washed against the side of the bridge during this spring's high water. But that's just an opinion, nothing official.

    Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
    Upstream is more likely than immediately in the neighborhood, I would think.

    One of my relatives says it looks to him like it must have been washed against the side of the bridge during this spring's high water. But that's just an opinion, nothing official.

    Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    Your relative is probably right. We've had SO MUCH rain and strong storms in the area this year. It seemingly would've had to smack against the bridge or shoreline hard enough to crack open a portion large enough for a "human bone" to come out and be found by the people picking up river debris.
    Last edited by mittenstate1988; 08-13-2017 at 10:55 AM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    663
    Quote Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
    Upstream is more likely than immediately in the neighborhood, I would think.

    One of my relatives says it looks to him like it must have been washed against the side of the bridge during this spring's high water. But that's just an opinion, nothing official.

    Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    Ice and the current can move things, but it would be rare for a non-buoyant object to travel very far. There isn't much of a current on the bottom of a river. If the container was somewhat buoyant while the body was decomposing, then it could have traveled farther, but my guess is that it went into the water very close to where it was found.
    Last edited by Ozoner; 08-13-2017 at 01:04 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. FL FL - Indian River Co., Skeletal Remains found off U.S. 1, Oct'15
    By Sleuthster in forum The Unidentified
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-31-2016, 01:36 AM
  2. Replies: 140
    Last Post: 08-29-2016, 11:18 PM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-24-2010, 07:24 AM
  4. CANADA Canada - Strathroy-Caradoc, Remains found on Thames River, Mar'10
    By flipflop in forum The Unidentified
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-23-2010, 09:24 PM