1145 users online (178 members and 967 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozoner View Post
    Ice and the current can move things, but it would be rare for a non-buoyant object to travel very far. There isn't much of a current on the bottom of a river. If the container was somewhat buoyant while the body was decomposing, then it could have traveled farther, but my guess is that it went into the water very close to where it was found.
    Yeah, probably. I would think a plastic container might float for miles, depending on how watertight the lid was. And in a good-sized river at high water, objects can be tumbled along the edge of the current for quite a distance, especially over time. I doubt if it came from north of Lansing, but the I94 bridge seems in range.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

Quote Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
    Yeah, probably. I would think a plastic container might float for miles, depending on how watertight the lid was. And in a good-sized river at high water, objects can be tumbled along the edge of the current for quite a distance, especially over time. I doubt if it came from north of Lansing, but the I94 bridge seems in range.

That was my initial thought as well... plastic would float after a while. Then again, it's hard to speculate without knowing what was put in it. How large of a person/belongings and was any weight added, etc. Not to get too graphic, but I remember a few cases out of Detroit where the plastic containers were subsequently filled with cement after the person and evidence was placed in. All of that weight (or not) would make a difference on how far it traveled.

I hope t wasn't anything like that. I hope they ID whomever it was as quickly as possible with little complication so their family can get some answers. I can't even imagine the not knowing while seeing the story on the nightly news.

Quote Originally Posted by mittenstate1988 View Post
    That was my initial thought as well... plastic would float after a while. Then again, it's hard to speculate without knowing what was put in it. How large of a person/belongings and was any weight added, etc. Not to get too graphic, but I remember a few cases out of Detroit where the plastic containers were subsequently filled with cement after the person and evidence was placed in. All of that weight (or not) would make a difference on how far it traveled.

I hope t wasn't anything like that. I hope they ID whomever it was as quickly as possible with little complication so their family can get some answers. I can't even imagine the not knowing while seeing the story on the nightly news.
    I'd like to see a quick ID, too, but unless there was something like a wallet with an ID found with the bones, it may take a while. One hopes that the skull is present and intact so that LE can get dental x-rays.

Police: Human remains found in river might be homicide victim

AURELIUS TWP. - Police say human remains found Friday in the Grand River west of Mason may belong to a homicide victim.

But Ingham County Sheriff's officials aren't releasing any other information about the investigation.

"We are treating it as a homicide," said Detective Sgt. Chauncy Shattuck, who declined to elaborate.
    http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/s...tim/566400001/
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. Romans 12:21

No hard news from relative, but he has heard them talk about partial remains much more than he'd like...

In no time the divers contacted the Ingham County Sheriff's office who responded quickly by contacting the capital area dive team to retrieve a rather heavy container of remains. The bones were then taken to the medical examiner's office for further investigation. And now...

"Now what we need to do is go through any missing persona and/or cases involving homicide or possible dismemberment either at this agency or area wide. Start piecing together who these belong to, whose responsible for whatever happened to them"

The sheriff says they have been working tirelessly with the detective bureau and the ME's office to try and find a possible DNA match on the identity of the bones. The sheriff also said they will not stop if the DNA test comes back inconclusive.

"If it hasn't come to a conclusion yet we can at least see what happened and whose responsible and prosecute those offenders if there are some."

The sheriff said they are assuming it might be just one person's remains however those results are pending on the ME's findings.
    http://www.wilx.com/content/news/UPDATE--440407153.html

BBM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardener1850 View Post
    There has been no updates in a week. Praying they identify the body so some family may have done peace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boy, this made me think of Israel Keyes as soon as I read it.

Does LE have an idea how long this container had been submerged? I know a dumb question.. just curious!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Owl4 View Post
    Does LE have an idea how long this container had been submerged? I know a dumb question.. just curious!

Very little information has been released regarding this. Stating it could be a homicide was about it. I may contact a few reporters tomorrow in that area and see if there are any updates.

Quote Originally Posted by thekarmabus View Post
    Very little information has been released regarding this. Stating it could be a homicide was about it. I may contact a few reporters tomorrow in that area and see if there are any updates.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Ozoner View Post
    Have there been any pictures of the plastic container posted? Has there been a detailed description of it given?
    No. I have not even seen anything in the media saying it is plastic. Is everyone assuming it was made of plastic or did I miss an article?

Quote Originally Posted by Gardener1850 View Post
    The only missing person from Mason that I can find is Franklin Gottschalk, missing since 1997. Some of his items were found on theShiawassee St Bridge in Lansing, which goes over the Grand River. Divers searched the river and found nothing. I wonder if it's possible for remains in a container to travel that far down the Grand River?

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lin+Gottschalk

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/9159/

Distance from the bridge to the Canoe Landing near where these remains were found: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/42.7...8!2d42.5827685

Of course this could be any missing person from Ingham County, MI or elsewhere. Just thought Franklin's story was interesting.
    Good find Gardener....thinking about your question....I'm not sure....depending on the material of the container and the current....(no nothing about that) In the Netherlands there are sometimes body's found in rivers from missing people from Germany (as the rivers run to the sea and lower land)
    Still believe in the human race.....

I thought I had heard or read plastic, but I don't see it anywhere now. Don't know whether it changed or I assumed.

Last edited by carbuff; 08-23-2017 at 09:43 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast