1544 users online (257 members and 1287 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

India - Hospital's unpaid oxygen bills result in deaths of dozens of children

At least 30 children died Thursday and into Friday at a hospital in the northern Indian state of Uttar Pradesh after its supply of liquid oxygen was disrupted over an unpaid bill, officials said. A Home Ministry spokesman told the Press Trust of India, citing police reports, that 21 of the deaths were directly linked to a shortage of oxygen.
    <snip> https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.44db8cf2441c

With nearly 64 lives slipping away in a span of six days at the BRD Medical College in Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister's constituency Gorakhpur, it remains to be seen where the blame shifts to next.
    <snip> http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/g...1/1024984.html
    "Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk."
    - Henry David Thoreau

I am not sure what to think about this. The hospital is getting plenty of flack for not paying their bill, but the contractor who cut it off is not?
    Shared blame, here I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer17 View Post
    I am not sure what to think about this. The hospital is getting plenty of flack for not paying their bill, but the contractor who cut it off is not?
    Shared blame, here I think.
    why share the blame?

it's not the contractors fault they didn't pay, they are just providing a service,

if im supplying gas to your home so you can have heat and you don't pay for my service, im going to shut the gas off, i don't care if you freeze, thats's not my problem

Quote Originally Posted by bainalive View Post
    why share the blame?

it's not the contractors fault they didn't pay, they are just providing a service,

if im supplying gas to your home so you can have heat and you don't pay for my service, im going to shut the gas off, i don't care if you freeze, thats's not my problem
    But in most states here, if you are on oxygen, they are not allowed to cut off your utilities. There's the difference between us and them. A gas company would NEVER cut off a hospitals lifeline like that in a first world country. Utterly inhumane.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ninij9 View Post
    But in most states here, if you are on oxygen, they are not allowed to cut off your utilities
    this didn't happen in the states,

laws here do not apply there

this didn't happen in the states,

laws here do not apply there
    Hense my statement about it not happening here. Obviously our laws don't apply here.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

At least 35 children die at Indian hospital after oxygen is cut off, parents say

http://www.wsmv.com/story/36124011/a...ff-at-hospital

Parents of at least 35 children who have died in a state-run hospital in northern India over the past three days have alleged that the fatalities were due to the lack of a sufficient oxygen supply in the children's ward.

District Magistrate Rajiv Rautela said Saturday that the deaths of the children being treated for different ailments at the Baba Raghav Das Medical College Hospital in Gorakhpur city in Uttar Pradesh state were due to natural causes. He denied that an insufficient oxygen supply led to their deaths.
    MOO
    Delphi Murders -- Six Thousand Billboards Across the USA
    Reply with Quote is everyone's friend.
    “Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.” Patrick Moynihan
    #metoo

This is horrific, and a huge political nightmare in India. I've been reading some on this- and many of these children supposedly had encephalitis (in fact, there are entire encephalitis wards in many Indian hospitals). This is so far outside the realm of imagination to US healthcare people like myself.....
    Six-year-old Shannon Sherrill disappeared from her front yard in Thorntown, Indiana in October, 1986. Someone knows where she is......

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...annon+sherrill

why share the blame?

Because cutting of the oxygen to sick children, adults and the elderly is inhumane. Surely there was something that could have been done. Move patients to different hospitals etc. Sometimes ethical issues involving children and the elderly aren't so cut and dry. It's not the patients fault that the hospital didn't pay, yet they are the ones paying the ultimate price.

While I realize that this took place in another country than my own, human rights and compassion are a universal.

I'm actually shocked that this isn't getting more attention in the media and here on WS. So many innocent lives lost.

India is so riffed with corruption. India has so many problems.

HMS Hood
    Mighty Hood
    Pennant Number: 51
    Motto: Ventis Secundis ("With Favourable Winds")
    May 15, 1920-May 24, 1941

Now it's up to 64 children. My heart is breaking..........

Parents forced to watch helplessly as 64 children and babies die at an Indian hospital as oxygen supply is suddenly is cut off over an unpaid bill
    The children died over six days at the hospital in Gorakhpur in Uttar Pradesh
    It has been claimed oxygen supplies were disrupted because bills were not paid
    Angry families have demanded to know how the patients were allowed to die
    Chief state minister Yogi Adityanath, a key ally to Prime Minister Narendra Modi, faces calls to resign

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz4pg76KT1Z
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

'I am a poor man who doesn't understand what happens here, but it was clear that day the oxygen wasn't going up. The doctors and other staff here were very worried,' Ram Prasad, sitting by his two-year-old daughter's bedside, told AFP.
    'They rushed to my kid too and gave us a manual pumping machine. It was the longest one-and-a-half to two hours of our lives. We spent the night pressing that machine so that nothing happened to our daughter.'
    Others described the hospital in total chaos, with helpless parents carrying the lifeless bodies of their children, crying out for help.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz4pg7o5kXq
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I know that this hospital and all the others in India also won't treat you under any circumstances unless you pay for the care up front.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast