India - Hospital's unpaid oxygen bills result in deaths of dozens of children

Indy Anna

Reaction score
At least 30 children died Thursday and into Friday at a hospital in the northern Indian state of Uttar Pradesh after its supply of liquid oxygen was disrupted over an unpaid bill, officials said. A Home Ministry spokesman told the Press Trust of India, citing police reports, that 21 of the deaths were directly linked to a shortage of oxygen.
<snip> https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...4fcba37094f_story.html?utm_term=.44db8cf2441c

With nearly 64 lives slipping away in a span of six days at the BRD Medical College in Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister's constituency Gorakhpur, it remains to be seen where the blame shifts to next.
<snip> http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/...-uttar-pradesh-hospital-horror/1/1024984.html

I am not sure what to think about this. The hospital is getting plenty of flack for not paying their bill, but the contractor who cut it off is not?
Shared blame, here I think.

I am not sure what to think about this. The hospital is getting plenty of flack for not paying their bill, but the contractor who cut it off is not?
Shared blame, here I think.

why share the blame?

it's not the contractors fault they didn't pay, they are just providing a service,

if im supplying gas to your home so you can have heat and you don't pay for my service, im going to shut the gas off, i don't care if you freeze, thats's not my problem

why share the blame?

it's not the contractors fault they didn't pay, they are just providing a service,

if im supplying gas to your home so you can have heat and you don't pay for my service, im going to shut the gas off, i don't care if you freeze, thats's not my problem
But in most states here, if you are on oxygen, they are not allowed to cut off your utilities. There's the difference between us and them. A gas company would NEVER cut off a hospitals lifeline like that in a first world country. Utterly inhumane.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

this didn't happen in the states,

laws here do not apply there
Hense my statement about it not happening here. Obviously our laws don't apply here.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

[h=3]At least 35 children die at Indian hospital after oxygen is cut off, parents say[/h]
http://www.wsmv.com/story/36124011/at-least-35-children-die-after-oxygen-is-cut-off-at-hospital

Parents of at least 35 children who have died in a state-run hospital in northern India over the past three days have alleged that the fatalities were due to the lack of a sufficient oxygen supply in the children's ward.

District Magistrate Rajiv Rautela said Saturday that the deaths of the children being treated for different ailments at the Baba Raghav Das Medical College Hospital in Gorakhpur city in Uttar Pradesh state were due to natural causes. He denied that an insufficient oxygen supply led to their deaths.

This is horrific, and a huge political nightmare in India. I've been reading some on this- and many of these children supposedly had encephalitis (in fact, there are entire encephalitis wards in many Indian hospitals). This is so far outside the realm of imagination to US healthcare people like myself.....

why share the blame?

Because cutting of the oxygen to sick children, adults and the elderly is inhumane. Surely there was something that could have been done. Move patients to different hospitals etc. Sometimes ethical issues involving children and the elderly aren't so cut and dry. It's not the patients fault that the hospital didn't pay, yet they are the ones paying the ultimate price.

While I realize that this took place in another country than my own, human rights and compassion are a universal.

I'm actually shocked that this isn't getting more attention in the media and here on WS. So many innocent lives lost.

India is so riffed with corruption. India has so many problems.

Now it's up to 64 children. My heart is breaking..........

Parents forced to watch helplessly as 64 children and babies die at an Indian hospital as oxygen supply is suddenly is cut off over an unpaid bill
The children died over six days at the hospital in Gorakhpur in Uttar Pradesh
It has been claimed oxygen supplies were disrupted because bills were not paid
Angry families have demanded to know how the patients were allowed to die
Chief state minister Yogi Adityanath, a key ally to Prime Minister Narendra Modi, faces calls to resign

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...fant-deaths-India-hospital.html#ixzz4pg76KT1Z
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

'I am a poor man who doesn't understand what happens here, but it was clear that day the oxygen wasn't going up. The doctors and other staff here were very worried,' Ram Prasad, sitting by his two-year-old daughter's bedside, told AFP.
'They rushed to my kid too and gave us a manual pumping machine. It was the longest one-and-a-half to two hours of our lives. We spent the night pressing that machine so that nothing happened to our daughter.'
Others described the hospital in total chaos, with helpless parents carrying the lifeless bodies of their children, crying out for help.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...fant-deaths-India-hospital.html#ixzz4pg7o5kXq
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I know that this hospital and all the others in India also won't treat you under any circumstances unless you pay for the care up front.

Those poor, innocent babies....and how awful for the parents to witness their deaths while being so helpless.

The hospital administrator should have called the mayor for city loan to pay the overdue bill long before the supply was shut off. Or a bank.

Because cutting of the oxygen to sick children, adults and the elderly is inhumane. Surely there was something that could have been done. Move patients to different hospitals etc. Sometimes ethical issues involving children and the elderly aren't so cut and dry. It's not the patients fault that the hospital didn't pay, yet they are the ones paying the ultimate price.

While I realize that this took place in another country than my own, human rights and compassion are a universal.

it might have been the patients fault, you don't know that and neither do i,

maybe the patients were not paying their hospital bills, and that is the reason why the hospital can not afford to pay theirs...we don't know all the details, you can't just sit here and blame the hospital, if they don't have the money to pay, then they can't, we don't know the reason why they can't.....you can't take blood from a stone

This is horrible! The Washington Post article states this is a medical COLLEGE..how can they teach..is this a children's hospital only..I don't see any mention of adults dying from their oxygen being turned off. I see they got back-up oxygen from a nursing home..gotta wonder how these people are going to fair..this is so tragic..all those poor parents!! One shouldn't lose their children because they are poor..moo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GravityHurts
Back