Thread: Girls' rapes finally receives attention

Angry Girls' rapes finally receives attention

This is a horrific story. Two young girls taken and gang raped. After they were recovered from a motel, police didn't collect any evidence on the scene nor were the children immediately taken for medical attention. After that the investigation just stalled until the media picked up on it. The group home the girls live in blames the police for not investigating and the police blame the group home for not ensuring they did an investigation.

http://www.dailyherald.com/story.asp?id=140379

By Dave Orrick
    Daily Herald Staff Writer
    Posted Saturday, January 07, 2006

Everyone knew there had been a lot of sex. The evidence scattered about the hotel room told them that.

And everyone knew the two girls, ages 12 and 16, were too young to consent.

But, it appears, nobody followed up.

Police didn’t collect the evidence, and no one ordered a rape kit — measures that could have helped identify the eight to nine men who raped the girls in a North Chicago hotel room in September, according to interviews with investigators, police, prosecutors and public and private child welfare officials.
    On Sept. 25, a group of youths went on a supervised trip to a movie theater on the edge of Waukegan. The girls left for the bathroom and never returned, officials said. They went to a restaurant and met some men. It’s unclear how, or if, they knew them.

The men took them to a nearby hotel, a Days Inn on Route 41 in North Chicago. For the next couple of days, at that hotel and a nearby Econo Lodge, the girls were raped by eight to nine men, according to Lake County prosecutor Matthew Chancey and Diane Jackson, spokeswoman for DCFS.

Allendale workers traced the girls to the Days Inn Sept. 27 and called police, who discovered the room strewn with “condoms — used; drugs — marijuana; and alcohol,” said Ron Howard, a vice president at Allendale who coordinated Allendale’s search.

“My understanding was that there was a conversation with the police that left (Allendale staff on the scene) with the impression that they were going to confiscate those items, including the surveillance tape from the hotel,” Howard said.

But police didn’t confiscate the items, and Harris and other officials said it appears little happened. “We learned later the investigation truly didn’t take off until December,” Howard said.

On Friday, Cesar Ayala, 20, of 35735 N. Garrick Ave. in Waukegan, was charged with kidnapping the 12-year-old and ordered held in Lake County jail on $150,000 bond.

why wouldnt they collect the evidence!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by michelle
    why wouldnt they collect the evidence!!!!!
    Really, how hard would it have been to put on a pair of gloves and pick up the used condoms and throw them in a baggie?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...lnorthwest-hed

One officer found the girls alone, he said, and no arrests were made. "There was no indication at the time that there was sexual assault or kidnapping going on," said Deputy Chief Walter Holderbaum.

But Luhr said police knew what was going on from the beginning. Holderbaum said he is investigating the incident.

Throw Away Kids

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/o...inionfront-hed

Throwaway kids

Published January 6, 2006

When someone has sex with a 12-year-old, it's rape. There's no question of consent. It is rape.

It took North Chicago police three months to see it that way. They faced such a case in late September, involving two wards of the state.

The two girls, ages 12 and 16, lived at Allendale Association, a residential treatment center in Lake Villa. They ran away from the center, and Allendale workers located them three days later at a Days Inn in North Chicago. The workers secretly observed five to nine young men going in and out of a room at the motel. The workers called police.

Police arrived. They left.

They left without collecting used condoms that Allendale workers said were in the room. They left without taking a hotel surveillance tape. There might have been evidence on it, but the tape was automatically erased 12 hours later. They left without immediately tracking down the owner of a Sam's Club card used to register the room. Astonishingly, police left without fully interviewing the girls.

If they had, the girls would have told the officers they had sex with numerous men, in two different hotels, according to Ronald Howard, Allendale's vice president of residential services. The girls would have said they were paid to perform sexual acts on each other.

Only after the Tribune editorial board started calling two weeks ago about the lethargic investigation did North Chicago police seek an interview with the girls. They were able to identify at least four of the men. Lake County prosecutors on Thursday issued warrants to arrest three of them.

more at link (use bugmenot if you aren't already registered)

Here's the website for the home the girl's were staying at. Honestly, it looks very nice.

http://www.allendale4kids.org/index1.htm

Never, Never, Never Hurt A Child

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    This is unreal! I have never heard of such shoddy police work in my life.

2 more men charged

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...localnorth-hed

Tribune staff reporter
    Published January 10, 2006

Two more Lake County men were arrested Monday in the sexual assault of two girls under state care who ran away from a Lake Villa residential treatment center in September, police said.

Carl Ligon, 21, of the 1800 block of Victoria Street, North Chicago, was charged with predatory criminal sexual assault of a child and aggravated criminal sexual abuse, said North Chicago Deputy Chief Walter Holderbaum.

Gregory Adams, 21, of the 1400 block of Victoria Street, North Chicago, faces the same charges, Holderbaum said.

Both men were being held Monday evening in the North Chicago police lockup, Holderbaum said. They were arrested on warrants that each contained a $300,000 bond, he said. One other man has been arrested in the case, and police have warrants for four more men.

On Sept. 24, the girls, ages 12 and 16, who are wards of the state living at Allendale Association in Lake Villa, left a supervised group outing at a Waukegan movie theater, said Jordan Luhr, a spokesman for the treatment center.

When Allendale staff members realized the girls were gone, they called Waukegan police, Luhr said. On Sept. 27, Allendale staff members tracked the girls down at a Days Inn in North Chicago, he said.

"The police were well aware when they came to the scene that there was sexual activity and drug activity, and they knew the ages of these young ladies," Luhr said. "I don't think it was a secret to anybody."

Holderbaum said he is investigating and hopes to be finished by the end of the week. "If we need to take disciplinary action, we will," he said.

This whole situation has me puzzled. The Allentown workers reported the girls missing to the police. And, if I'm reading it right, it is stated that the Allentown workers were the ones to find the girls at the hotel. It seems like the police weren't even trying to find them! And it might have been answered in one of the articles and I overlooked it, but how did the workers know they were at the hotel? It appears that everyone involved in this has let those little girls down!!

Quote Originally Posted by mconeal
    This whole situation has me puzzled. The Allentown workers reported the girls missing to the police. And, if I'm reading it right, it is stated that the Allentown workers were the ones to find the girls at the hotel. It seems like the police weren't even trying to find them! And it might have been answered in one of the articles and I overlooked it, but how did the workers know they were at the hotel? It appears that everyone involved in this has let those little girls down!!
    mconeal, I honestly don't know how the Allentown workers tracked the girls down. Maybe they got leads through friends at the group home. Anyway, what completely blows my mind is the attitude that the North Chicago Police Department has taken. Why would they think that it's DCFS responsibility to investigate, etc. etc. etc. ? ? ? Why didn't they do the bare minimum that we expect law enforcement to be responsible for?

“Our responsibility is really the care, the treatment and the well-being of the kids,” Jackson said. “If there are wayward perpetrators, that’s not really something we have the resources for.”

Harris credited his investigator with staying on top of the case, although the efforts didn’t appear successful. But he blasted Jackson’s statement.

“They’re the parent,” he said. “They’re a billion-dollar agency. … If they can’t handle it, they need to find someone who can.”

Quote Originally Posted by golfmom
    Here's the website for the home the girl's were staying at. Honestly, it looks very nice.

http://www.allendale4kids.org/index1.htm

Never, Never, Never Hurt A Child
    I grew up in Antioch - not far from Lake Villa where Allendale is located. I had a friend in high school who was a resident at Allendale. Both his parents had been killed in an awful car accident and he had no one to take him in. He was made a ward of the state and lived at Allendale. It is VERY nice and I'm shocked at the articles posted above. I wasn't real close to the kid who I knew that lived at Allendale, but had been there numberous times to pick him up with other people to go out, etc. He was a good kid and I always felt very badly for him.

Thanks for posting the articles on this. I haven't been back to my home town area in a number of years. It's always weird to read stories about things in the news and know exactly the places they are talking about.

ETA - Allendale appears to have changed quite a bit from when my friend was there. Same location, but all different. He didn't do his schooling at Allendale, he went to my high school. This was back in the early 80's.

I have a bit of experience in this area. At the current time, my step son is supposed to be in a group home. He ran away more about 2 weeks ago, (not for the first time) and the group home says they have NO responsibility to find him, that's the police's job.

So, this place, Allentown, is doing more than I can say has been done in our case.

The police really do look at kids like this as throwaways. They found them and returned them to the group home. Not their problem, they think. I would venture to guess that the police have had contact with these girls multiple times, and were tired of 'dealing' with them.

In any event, it's a horrible story, and it just goes to show how the system fails these kids time and time again. I hope these girls can get some help and try to heal from all of this, and that the people who took advantage of the situation and raped them, and did God knows what else, will be brought to justice.

Quote Originally Posted by mssheila
    I have a bit of experience in this area. At the current time, my step son is supposed to be in a group home. He ran away more about 2 weeks ago, (not for the first time) and the group home says they have NO responsibility to find him, that's the police's job.
    mssheila, first, I'm sorry to hear about your son and wish you the very best of luck with him. I can't imagine how difficult this is for you.

I have a friend whose ex-husband's son (whom she raised until about 2+ years ago) is in the same situation. He was placed in a group home/treatment facility a few months ago and has run away twice. The school has called the cops both times. My friend got involved a bit when the kid showed up at her mom's house. They called the school and were told that the police would have to come get him. That once he ran away he was no longer the school's responsibility to get him back there - that it was a matter for the police. So, the police picked him up and returned him to the school. He was there another couple of weeks and did the same thing again - this time going to a friend's house. The cops got him again and returned him. Now he is under constant supervision.

The kid is a mess and I'm thankful my friend is divorced from his dad. The kid has been nothing but problems and has a violent side. The dad is a SCUM BAG... once my friend moved out and left, he hooked up with another woman and bascially left his two kids to fend for themselves after he moved in with this woman. The boys are 18 and 16. The 18 year old is living with the dad's mom out of town, but the younger one no one would take because he is just rotten. I feel bad for the kids - both of them. The only constant they had in their lives was my friend and she couldn't take it anymore - with any of them. I don't blame her a bit for getting out of there.

You know, Lake Villa is still a very nice area. I think the kids were taken to Waukegan for a field trip and found in North Chicago. Both communities are very rough. These areas are VERY close to where Jerry Hobbs murdered Krystal and Laura last mother's day.

My grandparents used to live in Waukegan. They died almost 10 years ago and that is the last time I've been there. It was a rough place then. I can only imagine how bad it is now.