710 users online (72 members and 638 guests)  

Websleuths News

Britain closes embassy in Jordan

link

The British embassy in the Jordanian capital, Amman, has been closed until further notice due to security fears.

Plans for attacks against western visitors to the country are thought to be in the "final stages", according to the Foreign Office.

It has revised its travel advice, saying "sensible precautions" should be taken when visiting Jordan.

In November, three suicide bombers killed 60 people and injured nearly 100 in hotels in Amman.

The Foreign Office travel advice summary reads: "Terrorists may be in the final stages of planning attacks against Westerners and places frequented by Westerners.

"The British Embassy in Amman will be closed until further notice due to the security situation."

Thank you for posting this, Rocky. I had feared that the Iraq chaos would spill over into Jordan. I feel sorry for the Jordanians getting caught up in this. The last thing they needed was a breakdown in order in a neighboring state.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypros
    Thank you for posting this, Rocky. I had feared that the Iraq chaos would spill over into Jordan. I feel sorry for the Jordanians getting caught up in this. The last thing they needed was a breakdown in order in a neighboring state.
    Syria has unrest hitting it right now too...

The only positive note I've seen lately is all the extremist groups in the Gaza region are condemning violence and are starting to move towards protectors instead of terrorists...

Canada and Australia Embassies closed

Canada and Australia

Canada and Australia have closed their embassies in the Jordanian capital, Amman, amid concerns over security.
    It comes a day after Britain announced it was closing its embassy in the city until further notice.

The UK Foreign Office said plans for terror attacks against Westerners were thought to be in the "final stages".

A Jordanian government spokesman said although it did not believe the closures were justified, security would be stepped up around the embassies.
    It's starting to remind me of just before 9/11 when we were all watching the international embassies and the attack hit us right in the heart of America...