CA CA - Scott Echols, 8, San Bernardino, 27 July 1992

anthrobones

Reaction score
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/433dmca.html

Scott Christian Echols
Missing since July 27, 1992 from Muscoy, San Bernardino, California.
Classification: Lost, Injured, Missing

Vital Statistics
  • Date Of Birth: November 20, 1983
  • Age at Time of Disappearance: 9 years old
  • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4'3" - 130 cm; 70 lbs - 32 kg
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown eyes; brown hair.
  • Marks, Scars: He has a scar on the left side of his lower lip.
  • Clothing: He was last seen wearing acid washed jeans and a Dodgers t-shirt.
  • Dentals: Not available

Circumstances of Disappearance
Echols left home in the morning and has not been seen since.
Neighbors told authorities that Echols smoked cigarettes, drank alcohol and stole bicycles in the vicinity at the time of his disappearance. Echols' family denied the allegations. Investigators did learn that Echols was on probation for setting fire to an abandoned building the year before he vanished. He was also known for panhandling around Muscoy. Echols' family repotedly lived in rather dire conditions in the city. His relatives passed polygraph tests and are not believed to be connected to his disappearance.

Even with all the stuff he did, I do not believe that a 9 year old boy can stay gone that long without help. I think something bad happened to him.

When I first saw this I couldn't believe it! I was expecting this to be an older child, not a 9 year old! I wonder if someone who knew about his home situation kidnapped him to give him a better chance at life? I don't think he could've lived on his own but who knows, he seems like a pretty tough kid.

Panhandling and being on the streets is like an invitation to a child molester. Someone could have paid him money for a fake job with a true intention of sexually abusing him.

I am shocked he smoked and drank and had been in trouble at only 9. Too bad it was not reported before he went missing. Or that it was reported and nothing done.

Kids like this sadden me so much. It sometimes seems to outsiders that if their own family dont value them then why should anyone else? And half the time its their circumstamnces that have made them the tough way they have been.

What exactly is panhandling?

Shawn Hornbeck disseappered while riding his bike and the bike was never located either*. I'm sorry I can't remember where that all took place. Was Micheal Devlon (?) looked into?

*I know that doesn't mean much but it was a thought I had.

scottechols.jpg

he does look troubled but i dont think he looks as bad as the neighbors claim.

i wondedr if the slander they put against him is a cover for someone in the neighborhood that did something to him.

and im sure with such glowing reports about him LE didnt exactly break down doors looking for him

I wonder if Kenneth Parnell was ever looked at for this disappearance? He was out of prison by 1992, and while he initially settled in Bakersfield he tended to move around California alot.

Is there any way to find out if he was in San Bernardino county when this child disappeared?

So sad that a vulnerable little boy can just vanish!

Nearly 25 years after 9-year-old Muscoy boy goes missing, cold-case detectives continue search

http://www.sbsun.com/general-news/20170526/nearly-25-years-after-9-year-old-muscoy-boy-goes-missing-cold-case-detectives-continue-search

Scott Echols was 9-years-old when a 2:30 a.m. July 26, 1992 knock at the door changed the lives of the entire Echols family forever.

“We’ve never been able to actually grieve and get any kind of closure,” Don Echols said about his missing brother. “It’s been over 20 years and we still don’t know what happened to him.”

“There are no suspects. No clues. He just disappeared,” Yoakum said. “Retired detectives still call about the case. They have not forgotten Scott.”

“Children don’t disappear into thin air,” Yoakum said. “Someone out there knows what happened to Scott and they need to come forward with that information.”

This is new.

On that warm July night, Scott’s parents were asleep with two of their other children in the bedroom. Scott was asleep on the couch in the living room of their Muscoy home when someone knocked on the door.

The thread says 8 but story says 9 years old, which is correct?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back