1202 users online (259 members and 943 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    safety tips from NASA:

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/safety

August 21, 2017 — Great American Eclipse (Total Solar Eclipse)

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/...2017-august-21

There is a place on this website you can put in you location and it will tell you how long and about how much of the eclipse you can see. My location is about 99.6% and last 2 hrs and 45 minutes from start to finish.

We are 70% zone, so not sure what to expect. We are going to a lakeside park where a member of a local astronomical association will have a telescope with filter. . .and perhaps some of the highly-sought-after eclipse glasses!

Full here with massive crowds expected. Not going anywhere and staying off the roads! Will watch from my deck
    All comments IMHO, etc etc

I live just a wee bit north of Salem, OR and we'll get 98%. Taking the morning off from work to watch it from home, as long as the clouds cooperate. Near the Columbia river, we frequently have morning overcast that doesn't burn off until noon. Hoping for clear skies like this morning.

ETA Some friends are at the Symbiosis festival in the Ochoco Forest in Central/Eastern Oregon. They are volunteering so they left on Tuesday, long before the 30 mile backups on Highway 26 that made the news on Thursday.

ETA #2 (lol) Just found my kiln glasses (not quite as dark as welding glasses) and wearing them over a super dark pair of sunglasses, the phone flashlight test looked fine.
    Last edited by La Louve; 08-19-2017 at 09:11 PM.

The Whitney Heichel Memorial Garden
    Bringing "beauty and light into a place where
    there once was so much darkness"
    (Sasquatch, Websleuths member).

"In joy or sadness flowers are our constant friends.
    ― Kakuzō Okakura, The Book Of Tea

We're in Clarksville TN in the 99% coverage zone and my 7 and 17 year old are so excited. My son (17) will be videotaping our animals reactions for research and both kids are out of school that day. We're having an eclipse block party and our town is expecting a ton of ppl and traffic. It's so exciting to me

Sent from my 9024W using Tapatalk

We're in Clarksville TN in the 99% coverage zone and my 7 and 17 year old are so excited. My son (17) will be videotaping our animals reactions for research and both kids are out of school that day. We're having an eclipse block party and our town is expecting a ton of ppl and traffic. It's so exciting to me

No traveling in gridlock for us, thank you! We're in southern Oregon in a 93% zone and will be watching the eclipse from our deck. We managed to scrounge one pair of eclipse glasses before they ran out locally, so we will share.

The big potential problem for us is smoke from nearby forest fires. It was heavy today, obscuring our view of Mt. Ashland, eight miles across the valley as the crow flies. We could see the red "smoke sun" but it's hard to know how the smoke will affect our eclipse viewing. I'm more concerned about the fires and breathing smoke than about not being able to see the eclipse. We can always watch a live stream even though it's not as neat an experience.

Stay safe all you travelers! Enjoy the show wherever you are.
    FOUR YEARS IS 1460 DAYS TOO LONG!!
    SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE KNOWS SOMETHING! SPEAK UP!
    STEPHANIE ANNE WARNER, 43, RUCH, OREGON

MISSING & PRESUMED MURDERED July 4, 2013
    LENNIE AMES NAMED SUSPECT
    Anonymous Tips? Reward up to $1000
    Crime Stoppers of So. Oregon 800-850-0580

DISCUSSION:http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...2#post10750872

I'm in the path of totality. Have the day off. Hoping the clouds and wildfire smoke blows away. Rather annoyed with the Y2k type hype around here, though. I've been jokingly referring to it as the eclipsolypse.
    Unless specified otherwise and linked, my posts are simply random thoughts of mine, in no particular order, not directed at any post or poster, including but not limited to the ones directly above mine. My opinion only, yours may vary. IMO. JMO. IMHO. JMHO. MOO. Disclaimer, small print, asterisk, and etc.

Quote Originally Posted by La Louve View Post
    I live just a wee bit north of Salem, OR and we'll get 98%. Taking the morning off from work to watch it from home, as long as the clouds cooperate. Near the Columbia river, we frequently have morning overcast that doesn't burn off until noon. Hoping for clear skies like this morning.

ETA Some friends are at the Symbiosis festival in the Ochoco Forest in Central/Eastern Oregon. They are volunteering so they left on Tuesday, long before the 30 mile backups on Highway 26 that made the news on Thursday.

ETA #2 (lol) Just found my kiln glasses (not quite as dark as welding glasses) and wearing them over a super dark pair of sunglasses, the phone flashlight test looked fine.
    Oregon is insanely busy with pre eclipse visitors. Over 17,000 rental cars to be returned to PDX Monday_Tuesday....yikes!

I'm going to ignore it all as much as possible
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Look, if any of us wanted to mind our own business, we wouldn't be here" (carbuff 8/11/13)

This post reflects my constitutionally-protected opinion. Please do not copy it anywhere else outside of the WebSleuth forum

97% area. Will be watching for shadow bands and listening for night sounds during the day on my front porch. ( crickets & frogs)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

I will be on a lawn chair in my back yard, gazing up into the sky for hours,

no sun glasses, protection is for the weak!!

According to the link above, I will get partial solar eclipse at 71.62% . I'll be at work and will walk out to the 15th floor patio balcony. It looks like a clear day tomorrow in the NYC area, so we will see!

I was looking around and there will be another solar eclipse in 2024 from Texas to Maine:

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/map/2024-april-8

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast