1172 users online (182 members and 990 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    We will just watch from the backyard. We are in the 75% range. I got glasses for us, but I can't see a darn thing through them now....I hope they are not duds! I'm not suppose to do anything to them first, am I ?

How to make sure your eclipse glasses actually work

http://www.popsci.com/fake-solar-eclipse-glasses#page-2

But if you're just looking to double check glasses that are meant to be safe, put them on and make sure you can't see any light that's not as bright as the sun. Your smartphone LED flashlight will do the trick. For starters, pop your glasses on and look around. Can you see anything? If so, they're bogus.

If you're still very much in the dark, move on to testing with an LED flashlight. I turned my phone's flashlight on full blast and sheepishly angled it towards my (lens-protected) eyes. All I could see were a couple of dim little dots, even when I brought the light right up against my glasses. I was so impressed that I took the glasses off to compare just how bright the light was without a filter. Do not do this, as it negates the entire purpose of this article.

We can't recommend that you use anything but certified glasses from a reputable seller. But if you can shine an LED in your face and barely see a single pinprick of dim light, your glasses are probable ready to handle an eclipse.

The Whitney Heichel Memorial Garden
    Bringing "beauty and light into a place where
    there once was so much darkness"
    (Sasquatch, Websleuths member).

"In joy or sadness flowers are our constant friends.”
    ― Kakuzō Okakura, The Book Of Tea

My boyfriend and I are currently making our way from Spokane, Wa to Lime, Or. We decided to take off Friday evening and make a fun weekend of it. We stayed in the Tri-Cities, Wa area Friday night, are in Pendleton, Or now and heading to Lime, Oregon to enjoy the totality. Should be in pretty good shape as he bought the glasses for us and brought binoculars as well. Luckily we shouldn't have to deal with the traffic jams & fuel shortages those traveling via Madras, Or are having to deal with! What a mess!

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    ECLIPSE 2017

On Monday, Aug. 21, a total solar eclipse will be visible from a narrow strip of land that stretches all the way across the U.S., from Oregon to South Carolina. It will be the first total solar eclipse since 1918 to cross the nation from coast to coast...

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/eclipse-2017

Hey Blondie, glad you are en route to totality!

As of last night, Madras is still waiting for the hordes. http://www.oregonlive.com/eclipse/20...rt_maj-story-1

The small Central Oregon town is considered one of the best places in the U.S. to see the big eclipse, thanks to favorable weather, and in all the town expects to see an influx of up to 100,000 outsiders, choking highways, filling makeshift campgrounds and flooding local businesses.

But as Saturday rolled around, and traffic trickled through, many locals felt let down by the pre-eclipse hype.

"I'm wondering where all the traffic is," said Ashlyn Etter, who was selling solar eclipse merchandise in a lot near downtown Madras. "It just means we're going to have to hustle the last few days," and drop prices come Monday.
    more at link

My friends at Symbiosis live between Prineville and Redmond. Before they decided to go to the festival, the plan was to hold our annual luau this weekend and invite guests to camp on their land to see the eclipse on Monday. I didn't want to deal with four Siberian Huskies on my own (their two and my two), otherwise I would be there petsitting for them right now.

Quote Originally Posted by CARIIS View Post

I want to do it but don't understand why! We already know what it is gonna like !!

but I am making my little cereal box !!
    Dearest CARIIS...if you do this neat experiment please post it here with your commentary! I would love to see how it works out!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Look, if any of us wanted to mind our own business, we wouldn't be here" (carbuff 8/11/13)

This post reflects my constitutionally-protected opinion. Please do not copy it anywhere else outside of the WebSleuth forum

I saw someone doing an experiment to see the eclipse using a funnel and a cardboard box....
    "Look, if any of us wanted to mind our own business, we wouldn't be here" (carbuff 8/11/13)

This post reflects my constitutionally-protected opinion. Please do not copy it anywhere else outside of the WebSleuth forum

Tree Leaves as “Pinhole Cameras” During a Solar Eclipse

https://petapixel.com/2012/05/21/cre...solar-eclipse/

If you went outdoors to observe the solar eclipse yesterday, you might have noticed that the shadows cast by trees had suddenly become quite strange. The tiny gaps between leaves act as pinhole lenses, projecting crescent shaped images of the eclipsed sun onto the world below.
    shadow2_mini1.jpg

1953914.jpg

more photos at the link

Quote Originally Posted by La Louve View Post
    Very cool!

Solar Eclipse Across America, August 21, 2017

On the road and we just saw a crazy looking car that said "Caravan to catch a killer" on the side. It belongs to a mom still searching for the killer of her 18yo daughter in 2004.
    OK - Brittany Phillips, 19, Tulsa, 27 Sept 2004

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...4&share_type=t

I hope someone can answer a question for me. We have a shade 10 welding lens and I am wondering if it is cut in half and laid on top of each other, would that work as an acceptable filter?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    - Audrey Hepburn

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    I hope everyone who takes photos or video of the eclipse will share it here.

Quote Originally Posted by perfectingpink View Post
    I hope someone can answer a question for me. We have a shade 10 welding lens and I am wondering if it is cut in half and laid on top of each other, would that work as an acceptable filter?
    BBM
    Viewing with Protection -- Experts suggests that one widely available filter for safe solar viewing is welders glass of sufficiently high number. The only ones that are safe for direct viewing of the Sun with your eyes are those of Shade 12 or higher. These are much darker than the filters used for most kinds of welding. If you have an old welder's helmet around the house and are thinking of using it to view the Sun, make sure you know the filter's shade number. If it's less than 12 (and it probably is), don't even think about using it to look at the Sun. Many people find the Sun too bright even in a Shade 12 filter, and some find the Sun too dim in a Shade 14 filter — but Shade 13 filters are uncommon and can be hard to find. The AAS Reputable Vendors of Solar Filters & Viewers page (link is external) doesn't list any suppliers of welder's filters, only suppliers of special-purpose filters made for viewing the Sun.To find out more about eyewear and handheld viewers go to https://eclipse.aas.org/eye-safety/eyewear-viewers (link is external).
    https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/safety

oops! forgot that you suggested cutting them in half and putting one lens on top of other. I think that might work. Can you test that with a led flashlight per my post earlier today from Popular Science magazine?

Quote Originally Posted by La Louve View Post
    BBM

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/safety

oops! forgot that you suggested cutting them in half and putting one lens on top of other. I think that might work. Can you test that with a led flashlight per my post earlier today from Popular Science magazine?
    Ding dong husband shattered the lens accidentally so bleck on him! Thank you for the advice though!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    - Audrey Hepburn

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast