820 users online (136 members and 684 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    Video and step-by-step instructions for cereal box viewer: https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...hole-projector

Mostly cloudy in metro-Detroit at the moment, but peak of eclipse is still more than 5 hours away. Stay safe, everyone, and share your pictures/video on the thread.

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    When was the last solar eclipse seen from contiguous United States, and when will the next one happen?

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/when-wa...ext-one-happen

For your listening enjoyment: Carly Simon sings about flying a Lear Jet to Nova Scotia to view the total eclipse of the sun in You're So Vain

Interesting- the reason why it will damage ones retina is because as the moon starts crossing our eyes will dilate to let more light in resulting in the retina burn

when the totality hits the Oregon coasts it will be moving at 2,955 mph. The shadow moves at different speeds across the country because of the curvature of the Earth. When totality makes it to Charleston, South Carolina, it will be going at 1,502 mph.

totality, in which the moon totally blocks out the sun’s rays, is only about 70 miles wide. Those not in that 70-mile-wide strip across America will still see between a 20 percent to a 99 percent coverage of the sun by the moon.

chiacago local in backgroundn
    Last edited by CARIIS; 08-21-2017 at 10:19 AM.

Bonnie Tyler to sing 'Total Eclipse of the Heart' during eclipse

By Nicole Pelletiere
    Aug 21, 2017, 9:16 AM ET

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...ry?id=49331998

Live stream countdown for Lincoln City, Oregon on youtube (with creepy music):

18 minutes, 8 seconds to Totality...

edited to add: If you watch the video for a few seconds, you can see the moon moving! Cool!
    If you're lucky enough to be at the beach, you're lucky enough.

Last edited by JerseyGirl; 08-21-2017 at 12:27 PM.

We're seeing the moon shadow slowly nibble away at the sun here in Ashland, OR. We will get 93% totality. Fortunately the forest fire smoke isn't blocking it as I had feared.
    FOUR YEARS IS 1460 DAYS TOO LONG!!
    SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE KNOWS SOMETHING! SPEAK UP!
    STEPHANIE ANNE WARNER, 43, RUCH, OREGON

MISSING & PRESUMED MURDERED July 4, 2013
    LENNIE AMES NAMED SUSPECT
    Anonymous Tips? Reward up to $1000
    Crime Stoppers of So. Oregon 800-850-0580

DISCUSSION:http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...2#post10750872

No clouds or smoke and it's so cool so far! I was expecting the shadow to go from the side but it's coming from the top corner down. IDK if it looks different depending on where you are? Anyway this is bad ass! I can't wait for totality. I'm wondering if all the field animals are gonna trip. I'm gonna have to ask my farming coworkers tomorrow. So cool that I don't even have to leave my front yard!

I'm in the path of totality so I'm supposed to be able to take my glasses off for a minute or so in about 45 minutes.
    Unless specified otherwise and linked, my posts are simply random thoughts of mine, in no particular order, not directed at any post or poster, including but not limited to the ones directly above mine. My opinion only, yours may vary. IMO. JMO. IMHO. JMHO. MOO. Disclaimer, small print, asterisk, and etc.

Missing 2017’s total solar eclipse? Start planning for the next one in 2024

Many major cities will be in the path of the 2024 total solar eclipse, including Dallas; Little Rock, Arkansas; Indianapolis; Cleveland; Buffalo, New York; and Montreal. Some areas in 2017's total solar eclipse path of totality will once again experience a total solar eclipse in 2024, including Carbondale, Illinois; Cape Girardeau, Missouri; and Paducah, Kentucky.

On Aug. 12, 2045, the shadow of the moon will once again track across the United States, this time from Northern California to Florida.
    Some may argue that this eclipse will be more impressive than 2017’s as the moon will completely block out the sun for over 6 minutes, more than twice as long as this week’s eclipse. This will also be the longest total solar eclipse experienced anywhere in the world until 2114.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weath...-2024/70002507

Quote Originally Posted by flourish View Post
    No clouds or smoke and it's so cool so far! I was expecting the shadow to go from the side but it's coming from the top corner down. IDK if it looks different depending on where you are? Anyway this is bad ass! I can't wait for totality. I'm wondering if all the field animals are gonna trip. I'm gonna have to ask my farming coworkers tomorrow. So cool that I don't even have to leave my front yard!

I'm in the path of totality so I'm supposed to be able to take my glasses off for a minute or so in about 45 minutes.
    BBM

That's exciting to be in the totality path. It came from the top corner here too. It's almost halfway now.

It's getting close to what will pass for total here...93%. We're about 10 minutes away from maximum. It's definitely darker, although I've seen it this dark in the morning just because of smoke before.

Now the sun looks like a crescent. About half hour until totality 😎
    ETA noticeable drop in temperature. Not cold just noticeable
    Unless specified otherwise and linked, my posts are simply random thoughts of mine, in no particular order, not directed at any post or poster, including but not limited to the ones directly above mine. My opinion only, yours may vary. IMO. JMO. IMHO. JMHO. MOO. Disclaimer, small print, asterisk, and etc.

I'm here in the NYC area, we should get 72% of the moon covering the sun.

The action will begin at 1:23 p.m., when the moon will begin to pass in front of the sun. The black orb will appear to slowly darken our star until 2:44 p.m., when the maximum portion of the sun will be covered. By 4 p.m., the moon will move on and our skies will return to normal.

I'll let you guys know if a partial pass is visible. It's about 10 minutes until the start. I'm here at work until 4:00.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast