TV show on the missing

mjak

Reaction score
i posted this in cold cases because that is where I frequent the most. However, I realise that might not have been the best place for it. So Here it is.

I was surfing the net when I came across the follwing site:

http://www.usamissing.com/

This tv show is devoted to telling the stories of missing people.
I think its a marvalous idea and could be very helpful. Here is the problem though. I reserached it on my CBS station and to my dismay it is being shown
at 3:07 am on saturdays!!! Yes, 3:07 in the morning. This show needs
to be seen who is watching at this rediculous time!!! Now I do not live in the sticks somewhere. My CBS station is NYC!!! Is there away we can start a campaign to get this show moved to a time when other then insominicas someone might see it so maybe it might help bring a missing person home??
what do you all think?

mjak

Mjak, the show is not even shown in my area as far as I can find. So I have sent an email telling them I would love to see the show, but it isn't offered in my area. Asking them how to go about getting it included in my local programing. Maybe if we create a demand for the show, we can get it promoted more.

In Kelly's help for familiies thread she's indicated that she is a contact for getting a missing person on the show.
woohoo.gif

I am quite sure that the poor viewing times is a decision made by that station, not the show. Advertising $$$$ could play a part, too.

I tivo this show weekly. They do some long segments on a few people, but most are quick synopses of the missing. I like the show, but I am never sure when it was taped, because sometimes they show missing people who have been found already. I also get it at 3AM in the morning, hence, my reason for tivoing it!

Kelly said:
I am quite sure that the poor viewing times is a decision made by that station, not the show. Advertising $$$$ could play a part, too.
It stinks that everything always has to be about money. would it really kill a netowrk to put this show on following the 11 news once a week? Airing it at 3 in the morning really is pathetic. Surely the rich excutives at affliates of networks such as CBS and NBC could cough up a half hour of their air time before everyone is asleep to air this important show. I can think of several reality shows that I think could be switched to the 3 am air time and do us all a favor :)

mjak

dacqueri said:
I tivo this show weekly. They do some long segments on a few people, but most are quick synopses of the missing. I like the show, but I am never sure when it was taped, because sometimes they show missing people who have been found already. I also get it at 3AM in the morning, hence, my reason for tivoing it!

They will be starting production in January. They usually repeat the shows several times. Again, budgetary reasons. More advertisers would help. If we let them know someone was found, I think they can at least pull it off the website.

what can we do to get this important shows more advertisers so it can gave seen
at a time when their are viewers to watch it??

mjak

I will send an email to the show's producer asking how we can help the show appear in more markets and air at decent time.

Kelly

Great thanks, let me know what I can do to help. Thanks Kelly.

mjak

the show is not shown in my area either.I do not watch CBS much here because I have a problem with the fact that they do not show a lot of CBS programming that is available most everywhere else.The show last night of 48 Hours was about a doe that is on thedoenetwork and someone from doenetwork.I did not get to see it because 48 Hours is not shown on our local CBS station.I have already repeatedly emailed them about several shows and I guess will add this one to them,but so far it has not helped me.

babydust2004 said:
the show is not shown in my area either.I do not watch CBS much here because I have a problem with the fact that they do not show a lot of CBS programming that is available most everywhere else.The show last night of 48 Hours was about a doe that is on thedoenetwork and someone from doenetwork.I did not get to see it because 48 Hours is not shown on our local CBS station.I have already repeatedly emailed them about several shows and I guess will add this one to them,but so far it has not helped me.

It was the Castro Valley Jane Doe.They also showed the case of the antipue collector(I can't remember his name), who's friend and sometime housemate killed him. The housemate and his girlfriend dismembered him and took a drive.
They took a drive and disposed of his body along the way, a little at a time- I believe it was about 400 mi. The man's skull was found in a bucket of cement. They also showed the volunteer from Doe who made that match. She is working on the Castro Valley Jane Doe.
Shannon Melindi is to be shown next week.

From the producer:

"Hi Kelly,

Calls and letters from viewers to the Program Director or General Manager of a station asking them to carry or to improve the time period of "Missing" can be very, very effective--the more letters, the better! Getting a local business interested in sponsoring the program is a great way to help get "Missing" on the air in a decent time period. Car dealerships are the lifeblood of local station advertising, so any connections there can be a big help. The bottom line to every Program Director is ratings, so getting as many people as possible to watch the show on a regular basis is a real help.

This is the time of year when stations are working on their schedules for next fall, so letters and petitions would be most effective over the next month or so.

Hope this is helpful. Any efforts on behalf of the show are most appreciated!

Kind regards,

Larry"

POSTED: 10:52 am PST December 21, 2006
UPDATED: 2:32 pm PST December 21, 2006

DUBLIN -- Alameda County sheriff's investigators Thursday identified a girl whose body was dumped behind a Castro Valley restaurant more than three years ago as 16-year-old Yesemia Nungaray of Yahualica, in central Mexico.

In what Sgt. Scott Dudek described as "a sad ending" to a lengthy investigation, physical evidence and DNA samples have identified the 5-foot 1-inch, 110-pound girl as 16-year-old Yesenia Nungaray. Nungaray was from Yahualica, in central Mexico, 72 miles north of Guadalajara in the state of Jalisco.

Dudek said Nungaray came to the U.S. in search of a better life shortly after her 16th birthday on March 14, 2003.

Shortly before Nungaray died she told her mother, 36-year-old Maria Del Carmen of Yahualica, that "even her worst day in America was better than her best day in Mexico," he said.

Nungaray's body was found inside a green canvas bag behind a Carrows restaurant in Castro Valley on May 1, 2003. She had a rag stuffed down her throat and had died of asphyxiation about 10 days earlier. more at link:http://www.ktvu.com/news/10583428/detail.html

Posted on Thu, Jan. 25, 2007

By Sophia Kazmi

CONTRA COSTA TIMES

The Alameda County Sheriff's Office is asking anyone who would like to pay their last respects to Yesenia Nungaray -- who was previously known as Castro Valley's "Jane Doe" -- should do so before the first week of February.

Deputies plan to move her body from a grave site at Lone Tree Cemetery, 24591 Fairview Ave. in Hayward soon to a new burial site in Yahaulica, Mexico, where her family lives.

The Sheriff's Office has raised about $21,000 of the $30,000 officials have said is needed to transport the 16-year-old girl back to her hometown.

Yesenia's body was found inside a green bag on May 1, 2003 outside of a Castro Valley restaurant. She remained nameless for 31/2 years. Detectives identified her on a trip to Yahualica in December, after receiving a tip she may have been from that town.

During the trip they met with Yesenia's 36-year-old mother, Maria Del Carmen, who called the Sheriff's Office after receiving a flier with a photo of a bust that looked like her missing daughter.

Yesenia left Yahualica on her 16th birthday and moved eventually to Hayward for a better life. She lived in small house on Smalley Avenue with Miguel Angel Nunez Castaneda, who also worked at the restaurant behind which Yesenia's body was found. more at link:http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/news/breaking_news/16546427.htm

Posted on Thu, Feb. 01, 2007

CASTRO VALLEY: Sheriff's Office to prepare corpse for transport to Mexican hometown of longtime Jane Doe

By Sophia Kazmi

CONTRA COSTA TIMES

The Alameda County Sheriff's Office has raised the money it needs to return the body of Yesenia Nungaray Becerra -- previously known as Castro Valley's Jane Doe -- to her hometown in Mexico to be buried near her family.

Since the 16-year-old's name was revealed in December, detectives have raised $30,000 to cover the costs to exhume, prepare and transport her body, accompanied by detectives, and hold proper funeral services in Yahualica, Mexico, where Yesenia was born and where her family lives.

On Tuesday, an anonymous donor from Foster City donated the remaining $8,000 needed to meet the fund's goal.

The Sheriff's Office is asking people interested in paying their last respects to Yesenia at Lone Tree Cemetery to do so in the next few days. Deputies plan to remove her body soon to prepare it for the trip home. Lone Tree Cemetery is at 24951 Fairview Ave. in Hayward. more at link:http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/email/news/16595268.htm

The Missing show sounds great, but I feel it is past time for a 24 hour Missing channel! Imagine being able to run stories and images around the clock! (Special insights from Websleuths would be a good blurb now and then.)

We could gather our advertising dollars from Off-road vehicle sponsors, Hiking/climbing gear sponsors, grants from various government agencies, and any other place we can get $! (I thought about including Private Detectives...but a show about missing isn't the best place for them to be advertising I wouldn't think. So many missing means they probably don't do a very good job at finding anyone.)

Let me send in the first dollar! That should pay for a stamp on our first letter towards getting this idea pitched to someone! LOL

Is there an email address for the station? Like the man said "the more letters the better." It really is a shame for the show to run at that ungodly hour in the morning. I really believe that a lot of people would watch it if it was on at a decent hour. Tons of people watch "Without a Trace." Think of how many would watch a show about real missing people. It is about time that someone with some power took an interest in the missing in this world. Look at "America's Most Wanted." It is about real people and people around the world watch it every Sat night.

If someone can post an email address I will gladly write a letter. I'm sure that a lot of other people will do the same.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back