1160 users online (255 members and 905 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

NJ - Woodbridge, LIVING woman w/ amnesia, Nov'94 - Elba Diaz Soccarras

http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/176ufnj.html

Unidentified Hispanic Female Amnesia Victim

* Located on November 2, 1994 in Woodbridge, Middlesex County, New Jersey.

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 44 - 54 years old (when found) 55 - 70 years old now
    * Approximate Height and Weight: 5'2"- 5'4"; 135 - 145 lbs.
    * Distinguishing Characteristics: Black hair; brown eyes.
    * Scars / Tattoos: She has a scar on her abdomen.
    * Clothing: She was wearing what may be a wedding band in addition to another gold ring

Case History
    Amnesia victim was located wandering the Woodbridge Mall on November 2, 1994 in Woodbridge, New Jersey. In 1994, during a conversation, she stated that her name was Elba Leonor Socarras. She is Spanish-speaking and when she was found, she was well groomed and in good health. She is currently suffering from Alzheimer's disease and is unable to give any information that will aid in her identification. She has also mentioned the name of "Alba" and may also be associated to the name of "Altagracia Alvarez".

I think this is a really good match! This woman is still alive and in care. Its been over 10 years that she's been unidentified.

http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/1082dfnj.html

Unidentified person on left Elba on right

Elba Irizarry

1. Elba has been missing since June 1994, from Camden, New Jersey
    The unidentified woman was found in November 1994, in Woodbridge, New Jersey

2. Elba was 43 when she disappeared. The woman was estimated to have been 44-54 years old.

3. Elba was listed as 5'3", the woman is listed as 5'2"-5'4"

4. Elba was listed as weighing 110 lbs. The woman was 135-145 - This is a discrepancy but weight fluctuates....

5. They are both Hispanic, both have black hair and brown eyes

6. There is no mention of an a scar on Elba, but that doesn't mean she didn't have one.

7. Elba was depressed and a drug user when she disappeared. The woman was found in a disorientated state, her condition has progressed to Alzheimers.

8. The unidentified woman said her name was "Elba Leonor Socarras". . She has also mentioned the name of "Alba" and may also be associated to the name of "Altagracia Alvarez"

cool

Sounds reasonable to me.

I am a resident of NJ and if this has not been checked out by LE Here I want new LE, ASAP. I think its unlikly this is a match. As my suspicion is that the women found at Woodbirdge Mall is not really a missing person but a dumped person. As awful as that sounds I suspect her family dumped her there when her care got to be to much. She can't identify herself and the family isn't going to come forward. Very sad case.

mjak

I realise that the Camden Sherrif's Office is the source for both reports, therefore the records should have been checked. It is possible that the report on Elba being missing was placed at a later date, even though they entered the correct missing date, and that's why it didn't come up as a match.

I emailed the New Jersey State Police as they have an email link on the Amnesia victims page. I have already got an automatic response confirming they have received the email.

So whether its a real match or not, its up to them now.

Good luck. Don't hold your breath.

mjak your comments are valid. Dumping of people who have progressed too far for the care givers to handle is sadly common place, in all communities.

In the event this is not a match then we continue searching for their identities. If it is a match then two more people have been identified.

I think its also possible that people haven't suggested this match because they are concerned the family will be placed in an untenable position.... what if that's wrong and one or both family's would like to know what happened to their loved one?

I don't think its up to me to judge the situation as I don't have enough information. All I'm doing is trying to match some missing people to people who have been found.

Quote Originally Posted by PonderingThings
    mjak your comments are valid. Dumping of people who have progressed too far for the care givers to handle is sadly common place, in all communities.

In the event this is not a match then we continue searching for their identities. If it is a match then two more people have been identified.

I think its also possible that people haven't suggested this match because they are concerned the family will be placed in an untenable position.... what if that's wrong and one or both family's would like to know what happened to their loved one?

I don't think its up to me to judge the situation as I don't have enough information. All I'm doing is trying to match some missing people to people who have been found.
    I wasn't critizing your efforts. I was just stating my thoughts. Sorry if I upset you . As I think its important that all potential leeds are checked into. Keep on doing your sleuthing.
    mjak

mjak did I come across as upset? Sorry if I did as I'm not. I also considered why this wasn't matched up and did think of the same possibility as you did. I was simply voicing my thinking process.

I do apreciate your concern about me though, thank you.

mjak you can once again have full confidence in your police department.

I received, today, a very nicely worded email saying thanks for the information, but this match has been ruled out by fingerprints very early on.

So... on with the new search!i

maybe not reported as missing?

If the scenario of this person being dumped,then the family probably would not have reported them as a missing person and therefore there may not be any missing person listed to match the UID with.I believe that some UID's can be matched but either stats are off or where the UID is found is so far from where they should have been that a lot of these are ruled out when it really could be them.But I believe in a lot of cases there are not missing persons reports done on a lot of these,especially if a family member or boyfriend/girlfriend/parent/spouse were the one who did the crime.just my opinion on why there are so many UID's

Hispanic, non- english speaking.
    Is it possible that she was not reported missing, because she was an "undocumented" ie illegal resident?

Is there any Mexican missing persons sites?
    Someone might refer this one to Kelly.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

BabyDust its also possible that some UIDs have been reported missing, but that information has not been released to the public. Its only in the last few years that a viable way (the internet) has been available for the public to access.

Alba means Dawn in spanish...I wonder if any "Dawn's" are missing...

Happiness...consists in giving, and in serving others.
    - Henry Drummond

Great clue Paradise! Thank you!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast