1251 users online (207 members and 1044 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 54
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    30,906

    250 kids suspended!

    250 Students Suspended Over Homework Assignment

    Officials Say More Students Could Be Suspended Tuesday

    LANCASTER, Texas -- Nearly 250 Lancaster High School students were suspended for not completing a homework assignment during their winter vacation.



    On Tuesday, the suspended students could be joined by hundreds of others in the district, including some kindergartners.



    Lancaster's superintendent said he does not care how the public receives the suspensions. His district is underachieving academically, and if adding a punitive component to homework helps, he said it is a program possibly worth expanding.



    Between 700 and 1,000 students district-wide did not finish their vacation projects, officials said. On Tuesday, the district will begin suspending students as young as 5 years old until they finish their projects.



    District leaders said they have received fewer than six complaints about the suspensions.

    http://www.nbc5i.com/education/5963817/detail.html




    I think it's fantastic! BRAVO to that superintendent!

    It just goes to show you how UNinvolved their parents are in their children's education. If inconveniencing parents is the way to motivate them into action... so be it!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,388
    I agree. Someone has to take a stand and make people follow rules...otherwise we have adults who can't follow rules and we end up following their path of destruction on WS!


    I'm not crazy, my reality is just different than yours.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,140
    Maybe it will be productive, but I am sure the kids are enjoying the extra time off! What about making the kids stay after school until the assignments are done? I just feel if thier district is lagging behind, having the kids out of school isnt helping. My kids school did not give any assignments over the winter break. I think that was nice. Christmas is a hectic time for families, and I sure appreciated not having to worry about school work for the week after Christmas, we could just relax and have some fun.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    892
    Quote Originally Posted by lostfaith
    Maybe it will be productive, but I am sure the kids are enjoying the extra time off! What about making the kids stay after school until the assignments are done? I just feel if thier district is lagging behind, having the kids out of school isnt helping. .
    I think that yours is a better solution.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    The South, USA
    Posts
    2,405
    Why no more than 6 complaints? You'd think more parents would be upset.

    When our school district had consistently low scores on the state achievement tests, they tried a different solution: year-round schools. Now a handful of the elementary schools are year-round (the schools with the worst problems and scores). After 2 years of year-round school, many areas of academics have improved, including attendance, grades, and test scores.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    23,796
    Holiday homework? What kind of message does holiday homework give the kids? Oh, we want a few days off school, so we want you to do this on your own, at home. Some families take vacations over the Christmas holiday, some probably traveled out of town to visit with family.
    Now if they suspended for kids not doing homework in the regular school year, I might agree with that, somewhat. But how about in school suspension, after school suspension (where they were in suspension until the assignment was completed) meeting with parents, meeting with the kids? If they shortened the holiday, I could agree with that. But holiday homework? Is it a holiday or is it homework time?
    Or is it a holiday for the teachers, and individual school for the kids?
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

    Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?


    "Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,681
    So the district is under achieving, the test scores or whatever must be low, to improve the district standing they 'assign" homework or assignments for the students to do on their vacations.

    Then the students come back after two weeks, the assignment is not done and then they will miss more school and not learn or do assignments because now there is a suspension en masse.

    Just an extension of the vacation.....that is so nice of them to give the kids extra time off from school and not learn. I am sure that will improve the under achieving test scores.

    Heck, what if the kids don't want to come back to school, they don't want to do this assignment, they can watch TV all day, hang out at the mall, surf the computer, sleep in, this behaviour will certainly get them in the "mood" to return to school and improve the test score of the under achieving district. Some of them may even "find trouble" or break the law or whatever.

    How about offering "positive" incentives.....to complete the assignment, not punitive. Kids do get punitive(especially if it gets them what they want most, not to go to school and a longer vacation.)

    If the kids did not finish this assignment on vacation, what leads one to believe that they will finish it at all to return to school.

    Please.......and if they allow these kids back in school even if they don't finish the assignment, the kids will see it as a joke.

    It is not like the kids get suspended from work and they need a paycheque.

    Especially if any of these kids are vulnerable and thought about quitting school. Well now this decision may have just cemented that thought.

    Some one needs to "guide" this school and replace whomever is in charge.

    I hope the kids did not know that they would be suspended from school before the assignment was handed out. That very well may be the reason why the assignment was not done.

    But then again, if the assignment was required to be finished after school, do you really think that all of these teachers will stay after school to help the students get the assignments done. That will take, time, effort and extra hours without extra pay. That would be the teachers making an effort to improve the "under achieving scores" of this district.

    Don't lay it on the backs of the students. The teachers need to pitch in also, not fully expect the students to do so and the teachers get to spend their vacation without doing extra work.

    So how long is this suspension going to last. A few weeks, a few months, a few years. Maybe the 5 year old will hand it in when she is ready for high school.

    This district needs extra help so that the students can succeed. Oh I forgot, 250 are at home doing nothing.

    I got a call. My oldest was caught throwing snow balls. A no no and he is aware of this. They told him and me if he is caught throwing snow balls again, he will be suspended for a day.

    He told me: Well that day I can sleep in, play computer, play video games, go to the park, ice skating, rent movies and have a "fun day off".

    I in turn told him he would be spending the day in the office at the school.

    Brought him down to reality a bit about his "fun day off". Actually he saw a suspension as a reward for breaking the rules.

    The suspension is the reward to these kids for not doing their work, and it actually benefits them..........that is the way kids will see it.

    Or maybe you will have one kid finish the assignment and then be the only kid in that class that the teacher is teaching. I am sure that will improve the test scores.

    Kids don't care about test scores or the "under achieving district" they(especially teenagers) care about having a work free vacation and enjoying their "break from school".

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,186

    This is asinine!

    ...no wonder this district is in trouble...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,681
    Quote Originally Posted by cappuccina
    ...no wonder this district is in trouble...
    Yeah, no kidding, and they are going to be in even more trouble with this stupid decision, going from bad to worse.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    The South, USA
    Posts
    2,405
    Suspensions are annoying on so many levels. CyberLaw, you are right in that the student sees it as a vacation rather than a punishment. In high school, the child is often left home alone as the parents are both at work.

    For the teacher, it means getting a week's worth of assignments in advance to the student (if the family requests work for the student to be done while out, the teacher must supply it). It means having to make time for the student to make up any missed tests or quizzes. It means having to come into school early or stay late to tutor a child who missed a week's worth of class (or a day's worth or 3 days' worth). It means having to hear this: "I don't have to take that test; I wasn't here when you went over the material."

    Later, it means having to call the parents and inform them of the child's failing grade because you remember all those assignments so painfully prepared at the beginning of the suspension? Well, Jr. didn't do any of them, and now he's failing. Remember that test Jr. was supposed to make up? He didn't show up after school to do it.

    From there on, it's a big hole that the kid and his parent's can't crawl out of.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    4,983
    I agree with the staying after school & or the in school suspension. Its not going to bother the students, they'll enjoy having days off school. The kindergarten class shouldn't have homework.....

    One of our grandkids had so much homework was staying up til midnight trying to get it done. Wasn't just her it was most of the kids in her 4th grade. I even tried to help her & there was no way a child could do it all. Teacher shrugged & said oh well! Blame goes on the kids 99.9% of the time. At times its the teachers.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    23,796
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberLaw
    So the district is under achieving, the test scores or whatever must be low, to improve the district standing they 'assign" homework or assignments for the students to do on their vacations.

    Then the students come back after two weeks, the assignment is not done and then they will miss more school and not learn or do assignments because now there is a suspension en masse.

    Just an extension of the vacation.....that is so nice of them to give the kids extra time off from school and not learn. I am sure that will improve the under achieving test scores.

    Heck, what if the kids don't want to come back to school, they don't want to do this assignment, they can watch TV all day, hang out at the mall, surf the computer, sleep in, this behaviour will certainly get them in the "mood" to return to school and improve the test score of the under achieving district. Some of them may even "find trouble" or break the law or whatever.

    How about offering "positive" incentives.....to complete the assignment, not punitive. Kids do get punitive(especially if it gets them what they want most, not to go to school and a longer vacation.)

    If the kids did not finish this assignment on vacation, what leads one to believe that they will finish it at all to return to school.

    Please.......and if they allow these kids back in school even if they don't finish the assignment, the kids will see it as a joke.

    It is not like the kids get suspended from work and they need a paycheque.

    Especially if any of these kids are vulnerable and thought about quitting school. Well now this decision may have just cemented that thought.

    Some one needs to "guide" this school and replace whomever is in charge.

    I hope the kids did not know that they would be suspended from school before the assignment was handed out. That very well may be the reason why the assignment was not done.

    But then again, if the assignment was required to be finished after school, do you really think that all of these teachers will stay after school to help the students get the assignments done. That will take, time, effort and extra hours without extra pay. That would be the teachers making an effort to improve the "under achieving scores" of this district.

    Don't lay it on the backs of the students. The teachers need to pitch in also, not fully expect the students to do so and the teachers get to spend their vacation without doing extra work.

    So how long is this suspension going to last. A few weeks, a few months, a few years. Maybe the 5 year old will hand it in when she is ready for high school.

    This district needs extra help so that the students can succeed. Oh I forgot, 250 are at home doing nothing.

    I got a call. My oldest was caught throwing snow balls. A no no and he is aware of this. They told him and me if he is caught throwing snow balls again, he will be suspended for a day.

    He told me: Well that day I can sleep in, play computer, play video games, go to the park, ice skating, rent movies and have a "fun day off".

    I in turn told him he would be spending the day in the office at the school.

    Brought him down to reality a bit about his "fun day off". Actually he saw a suspension as a reward for breaking the rules.

    The suspension is the reward to these kids for not doing their work, and it actually benefits them..........that is the way kids will see it.

    Or maybe you will have one kid finish the assignment and then be the only kid in that class that the teacher is teaching. I am sure that will improve the test scores.

    Kids don't care about test scores or the "under achieving district" they(especially teenagers) care about having a work free vacation and enjoying their "break from school".


    My kid got suspended once......before his nice day off, I went to the school and picked up his makeup work. The principal said, he won't get credit.....I said that isn't the point. During suspension my son got to get up early. Do the makeup work. No TV. When all homework was done, if he wanted he could read or sleep. If I didn't have anything for him to do. I got a lot of work done during that time.
    He got the point. Suspension time is not an extra vacation.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

    Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?


    "Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Other End
    Posts
    25,761
    Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew
    Holiday homework? What kind of message does holiday homework give the kids? Oh, we want a few days off school, so we want you to do this on your own, at home. Some families take vacations over the Christmas holiday, some probably traveled out of town to visit with family.
    Now if they suspended for kids not doing homework in the regular school year, I might agree with that, somewhat. But how about in school suspension, after school suspension (where they were in suspension until the assignment was completed) meeting with parents, meeting with the kids? If they shortened the holiday, I could agree with that. But holiday homework? Is it a holiday or is it homework time?
    Or is it a holiday for the teachers, and individual school for the kids?

    I agree Mysteriew... a holiday should be just that, a holiday.. no homework.. give the kids a break and let them be with their families..


    This post is my opinion only, and is subject to making me look totally confused

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,116
    Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew
    Holiday homework? What kind of message does holiday homework give the kids? Oh, we want a few days off school, so we want you to do this on your own, at home. Some families take vacations over the Christmas holiday, some probably traveled out of town to visit with family.
    Now if they suspended for kids not doing homework in the regular school year, I might agree with that, somewhat. But how about in school suspension, after school suspension (where they were in suspension until the assignment was completed) meeting with parents, meeting with the kids? If they shortened the holiday, I could agree with that. But holiday homework? Is it a holiday or is it homework time?
    Or is it a holiday for the teachers, and individual school for the kids?
    I see your point. My kids always have homework packets during their vacations. They goe to year round school, so they have 3 weeks off in October, 2 weeks in December, and 3 weeks in February. The get out of school in June and go back at the end of July. That having been said, durint their "mini-breaks" they always have homework, and I'm glad. It keeps their minds stimulated by something other than tv and video games. When we go on vacation, they take their homework with them and do it in the first day of the trip so they can enjoy the rest of their vacation. All three of my girls are on the honor roll and their school's academic success rate is awesome. I do think that an In-school suspension would be more appropriate or even after school detention, but not at home suspension. Yes to the homework no on the suspension.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,804
    I feel both ways about this.

    I don't believe in giving kids homework over the break, that's what a break is for. A break.

    BUT if you've got kids who chronically don't ever do projects and homework, then that feeling sets in and then no one in the school is ever doing any of their stuff. Then suspending is a great idea.

    In Texas when they started giving the PARENTS detention if their kids were truant it worked wonders. One two-hour detention session, and parents who were whining I can't get my kids to go to school, I can't make sure they go to school, bla bla bla suddenly found the power to get their kids to school. Whammo, like magic, parents who weren't motivated by a bleak future for their kids were motivated by one afternoon spent sitting in a chair.

    Suspending the kids sends a signal loud and clear to the parents that your kid isn't doing school work. Bravo.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. MD - Officer Suspended After Videos Surfaces Showing Him Berating Kids, Baltimore
    By White Rain in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 02-21-2008, 07:47 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-02-2004, 11:01 AM