1053 users online (207 members and 846 guests)  


Websleuths News


Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    1,568

    MN - Maris Miles, 68, decapitated in hatchet attack, Burnsville, 30 Dec 2005

    http://wcco.com/local/local_story_003141418.html


    (AP) Hastings, Minn. A man charged with decapitating his stepmother had been turned away from mental health treatment just hours before her death.

    Stephen Miles, 23, of Eagan, Minn., was charged Tuesday with killing Maris Jo Miles, 68, of Burnsville, Minn. According to the complaint, he struck her in the head with a hatchet in her kitchen, cut off her head with a knife, and then told his father what he had done.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    7,398
    That's really sad that they wouldn't take him into the mental health facility. I see his defense now, not guilty by reason of insanity. Truly sad.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    1,568
    I wonder why the husband didnt just take the young man and leave when the step mom asked them to. It's another thing that may have saved her life. Of course, if this young man was homicidal, he may have just killed his dad instead. Or whoever was in his path. It's truly a bizzare story.

  4. #4
    From the same article:

    "Even psychiatrists who have been working with a patient cannot predict when a person is going to be violent," said Sandra Meicher, executive director of the Mental Health Association of Minnesota. "It may be that the family member has a pretty good sense of what is going to happen. But a third party (may not). Professionals don't like guessing."

    I understand that no one can predict what may happen, but shouldn't they at least try to keep everyone around this person safe?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenEyedGirl

    I understand that no one can predict what may happen, but shouldn't they at least try to keep everyone around this person safe?
    Yes they should have done more to keep him and his family safe. Working with people who have a mental illness, this guy is a classic case of schizophrenia to me. He needed help a long time before this ever happened.

    Also, while I believe no one should ever be murdered.....in the article it states that the woman was upset. She could have provoked him in some way while the father was shoveling snow. Knowing his vulnerable state of mind, she could have said something harsh to him. Nonetheless, someone...somewhere along the way should have intervened medically with this guy.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Cajun Country, Louisiana
    Posts
    7,598
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsMush99
    That's really sad that they wouldn't take him into the mental health facility. I see his defense now, not guilty by reason of insanity. Truly sad.

    I have a nephew who is mentally ill. Truly, really mentally ill. sometimes "not guilty by reason of insanity" is right. NOT often, but sometimes

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Upper Midwest
    Posts
    1,122
    This guy was found to be insane and is in a locked psych facility.

    "In the squad car, asked if he understood why he was being arrested, Miles told police, "Because I voted for Fidel Castro." He asked if he'd be shot by firing squad and wondered aloud how much of his brain was water."

    "Interviewed again later, he said he decapitated his stepmother because she was very sad and "I wanted her not to feel like (expletive)." He said he put her head in the dishwasher to "get her clean," according to court records.
    He later said he did not know she was dead and did not believe removing her head would kill her, and the head could be reattached with stitches. "She might have been surprised," he said. "I don't think her head had ever been separated from her body before.""


    That ^, is true insanity.
    http://www.allbusiness.com/legal/tri...4012625-1.html

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The beautiful PacNW's Emerald City
    Posts
    655
    I want to preface this by saying that I don't know all the details of this tragic situation----but why not go to a hospital emergency room for help?? I can only speak for my city, but we have a number of hospitals (particularly Harborview and the U.W.) that will not only hold someone like this but quickly have the patient seen by the Psychiatrist on-call as well as specially-trained crisis social workers. I wish there were more options available to everyone in crisis and that emergency rooms were more transparent about how they can truly help. JMO.....as the daughter of an emergency room nurse.

  9. #9
    kileyizzle's Avatar
    kileyizzle is offline ♥ we have but two lives. The life we learn with, & the life after that ♥
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    201
    wow... *thud*

    i'm absolutely speechless - what a tragedy.

    It's sad that something like this has to happen to bring to light that there just isn't enough resources and support for people suffering from mental illness.

    I don't understand it - Or will i probably ever will.

    But having read about this makes me feel a great deal of sympathy, that poor father it sounds like he needed assistance long before this happened...

    just... wow

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    CITY OF BROTHERLY SHOVE
    Posts
    17,500
    Quote Originally Posted by buffetoflies View Post
    This guy was found to be insane and is in a locked psych facility.

    "In the squad car, asked if he understood why he was being arrested, Miles told police, "Because I voted for Fidel Castro." He asked if he'd be shot by firing squad and wondered aloud how much of his brain was water."

    "Interviewed again later, he said he decapitated his stepmother because she was very sad and "I wanted her not to feel like (expletive)." He said he put her head in the dishwasher to "get her clean," according to court records.
    He later said he did not know she was dead and did not believe removing her head would kill her, and the head could be reattached with stitches. "She might have been surprised," he said. "I don't think her head had ever been separated from her body before.""

    That ^, is true insanity.
    http://www.allbusiness.com/legal/tri...4012625-1.html






    Whoa. How extremely sad. This poor family.



    A year after Stephen Miles murdered his mother things had changed in the Minnesota mental health care facilities but not entirely.


    http://www.minnesotamedicine.com/Pas...3/Default.aspx
    Last edited by Filly; 08-30-2010 at 12:26 AM.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth. Buddha
    Posts
    22,085
    Quote Originally Posted by mssheila View Post
    http://wcco.com/local/local_story_003141418.html


    (AP) Hastings, Minn. A man charged with decapitating his stepmother had been turned away from mental health treatment just hours before her death.

    Stephen Miles, 23, of Eagan, Minn., was charged Tuesday with killing Maris Jo Miles, 68, of Burnsville, Minn. According to the complaint, he struck her in the head with a hatchet in her kitchen, cut off her head with a knife, and then told his father what he had done.
    It has gone beyond a "crisis" situation. Our mental health system is failing so many people.

    Think about all the people who we DON'T hear about? The people who suffer in silence because they have no way to get help or live with people who still think Mental Illness can be controlled by pulling up your bootstraps.

    Until people realize that Mental Illness IS AN ILLNESS and not something someone change through a change of attitude we all are going to suffer.

    If you know of someone who is suffering from depression please let them know they are not alone. Make some phone calls for them. See if you can get them help. Don't ignore them.

    I don't know anything about this story other than what has been posted here but this man should have been in a lock-down facility. End of story. Because he wasn't innocent people are dead.

    This is heartbreaking.

    Tricia
    Websleuths is TEMPORARILY accepting donations.

    CLICK HERE
    to visit our GoFundMe page

    OR










  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    10,557
    Tricia--A very timely post considering the other post on Jumar Henry and his horrible crime. No doubt a similar situation. So often young men (much more common in men than women) in their early to mid-twenties will experience the onset of schizophrenia or psychosis. It is an extremely disabling and often sudden onset disease. I would liken it to someone having a heart attack or stroke and attempting to think clearly enough to ask for help.

    No one should EVER be afraid to call 911 about a person acting strangely out of character. You might save a life. Offering to make calls and actually taking those who are struggling to appts. is a gift. They are typically having a hard time putting one foot in front of the other and any help can make a difference.

    Pay attention to the signs of mental illness and prepare yourself. A great place to learn more is here:

    http://nami.org/

    Excellent information and links. NAMI also offers free classes and support groups for families struggling with a family member with mental illness. I've taken their 6 week training and it is very helpful.



Similar Threads

  1. GUILTY PA - James Sementelli, 83, dies in hatchet attack, Lock Haven, 25 March 2003
    By mysteriew in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-27-2016, 11:26 AM
  2. GUILTY WI - Roxana Abrudan, 36, dies in hatchet attack, Mount Pleasant, 19 Nov 2014
    By OkieGranny in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-29-2016, 05:17 AM
  3. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-09-2015, 01:09 PM
  4. TN - Man injured in hatchet attack in Antioch movie theater, 5 Aug 2015
    By KEVINinTO in forum Rampage Killings and Terrorist Attacks
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 08-06-2015, 07:30 AM
  5. NY - Two NYPD officers & civilian injured in hatchet attack, 23 Oct 2014
    By motherducky in forum Rampage Killings and Terrorist Attacks
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-25-2014, 01:28 PM

Tags for this Thread