718 users online (83 members and 635 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

It is now a crime to annoy someone via the internet

FYI

http://msn-cnet.com.com/Create+an+e-...=7645&GT1=7645

snip

A new federal law states that when you annoy someone on the Internet, you must disclose your identity. Here's the relevant language.

"Whoever...utilizes any device or software that can be used to originate telecommunications or other types of communications that are transmitted, in whole or in part, by the Internet... without disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any person...who receives the communications...shall be fined under title 18 or imprisoned not more than two years, or both."

So does this mean that I should give up on the webpage I was creating, LOL?
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

LOL the Justice Department is going to have to increase its manpower to inforce this law. I get annoyed atleast 10 times a day. Should I send Dubya a list of who annoyed me today?
    Welcome to the World Baby Caleb!!!

Ok, from reading this article.....it appears that by if a news site writes an article about someone, and they annoy them, they are ok. But if they post it on their website....then they can be charged. If we post an article, and make a comment, and it annoys someone.....we can be charged, unless we add our real name. This is BS!
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Quote Originally Posted by tybee204
    LOL the Justice Department is going to have to increase its manpower to inforce this law. I get annoyed atleast 10 times a day. Should I send Dubya a list of who annoyed me today?
    LOL. I think the bolded part goes to the intent of the legislation. It's a crime to harrass people face to face...I think it should be a crime to do it via the internet too! The internet has given many what they see as a free pass to make people's lives hell. Maybe this'll clip their horns a bit.

"Whoever...utilizes any device or software that can be used to originate telecommunications or other types of communications that are transmitted, in whole or in part, by the Internet... without disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any person...who receives the communications...shall be fined under title 18 or imprisoned not more than two years, or both."

Oh, please.....I don't want to be arrested! If I promise to be good, will you ignore it this time? sarcastic.

Maybe we should all scour the internet for the things that have annoyed us, and then start demanding justice. Get them overwhelmed, right off the bat.

LOL this is such a dumba$$ law to sign in. How could this ever be enforced? This Law annoys me!!! Who do I complain to aboiut being annoyed?

Harrassment should be a crime but how do you define annoy?

Harrassment should be a crime but how do you define annoy?
    Better start cleaning up the political forum, I am sure that someone has posted something that will annoy some polititian somewhere!

This is part of the cyber stalking laws. And it is designed to cut down on the massive amounts of libel (as opposed to news) that can be found on blogs and usenet postings.

LOL this is such a dumba$$ law to sign in. How could this ever be enforced? This Law annoys me!!! Who do I complain to aboiut being annoyed?
    It annoys me when someone uses $ in place of the letter S. Is Tybee your real name?

I'm annoyed by all the junk emails I get...."Meet flexible ladies in your home town!" - what for? Are they gonna wash my ceilings?

IrishMist is offline You can't control the wind - but you can adjust your sails
    Well, if they ever pass a law against annoying someone in real life, then the IrishMister is GONNA GET ARRESTED!!!

OHHHH CRAPPPP!! I AM GOING DOWN!! I annoy at least 30 people a day here. It's official I am going to be a felon. For the record my real name is Crash my last name is 676. I was born in Bulls**T law, Tx, USA. My SS# is 555-55-5555. Come and get me. (Please be gentle with the cuffs I bruise easy officers)
    Last edited by crash676; 01-12-2006 at 05:19 PM. Reason: can not spell

Crap...*holds out wrists for cuffs*

I'm not crazy, my reality is just different than yours.

I just got back from purchasing my disguse...incognito ..here I come! LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast