688 users online (120 members and 568 guests)  

Websleuths News

OH - Bishop comes forward about his own abuse by a priest as a boy

It's too bad he didn't come out sooner, but there's a bishop who has revealled that he was molested by a priest when he was a boy. There's a battle going on about extending the statute of limitations, and he's talking for the first time about his experiences as an example of why the statute of limitations needs to be longer - he says he never told anyone, too ashamed.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...n1202266.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by Details
    It's too bad he didn't come out sooner, but there's a bishop who has revealled that he was molested by a priest when he was a boy. There's a battle going on about extending the statute of limitations, and he's talking for the first time about his experiences as an example of why the statute of limitations needs to be longer - he says he never told anyone, too ashamed.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...n1202266.shtml
    I am glad he is talking now!

Good for him, better late than never.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda7NJ
    I am glad he is talking now!
    It could make a real, huge difference. I've still seen so many people who want to be in denial - either that the problem exists at all, or that anyone could be abused by a priest, and not tell their parents or other authority figures about it.

I commend the priest for his honesty!
    Something needs to be done about this growing epidemic.

I am confused about the talk about the new law. This is the first I have heard of it, and I live in Ohio. Is this law to only apply to children abused by priests? The article I have read on it, indicates a "window of opportunity"? Are they meaning that the length that the statute of limitations is going to be extended will expire? Very confused!

I do believe that the statute of limitations should be done away with, at least in terms of a child abuse victim.
    A tramatized child, doesn't just suddenly at the age of 18 say "ok, I am old enough to deal with this now". Sometimes it takes until they have kids of their own, sometimes even longer, before they are ready to deal with it.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight