1018 users online (223 members and 795 guests)  

Websleuths News

View Poll Results: What is your ethnic make-up?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mixed/Multi-racial

8 11.27%
  • White - Caucasian - European Descent

58 81.69%
  • Black/African Descent

0 0%
  • Hispanic - Central/South American

0 0%
  • Asian Descent

1 1.41%
  • Native American/Indigenous

4 5.63%
  • Other

0 0%

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anonymous Demographic Survey

What is the make-up of members who frequent Politivent? This poll is anonymous.

Unless someone has submitted their DNA to one of the currently trending genetic testing/family tree organizations, how can one truly know their ethnic make-up?

As some of the folks on the TV ads state: "I had no idea..."

I believe I'm of Scottish descent, based on my genealogical research, but my DNA may provide evidence to the contrary.
    To understand the soul of a horse is the closest we humans can come to knowing perfection.

I know I am of European descent. Test taken--though it is not race but ethnic grouping.
    Last edited by kaen; 09-07-2017 at 11:57 PM.
    Violence diminishes our humanity. ~Coretta Scott King

Quote Originally Posted by sorrell skye View Post
    Unless someone has submitted their DNA to one of the currently trending genetic testing/family tree organizations, how can one truly know their ethnic make-up?

I believe I'm of Scottish descent, based on my genealogical research, but my DNA may provide evidence to the contrary.
    Because race is cultural rather than genetic (although there is a genetic component). I identify as Indigenous because in my culture blood quantum is irrelevant. My ancestry is diverse, as it is for many people.

I had my DNA done. No big surprises, but some little ones.

Not as much Native American as I expected ~ most likely a great-great grandmother I assumed was full-blooded was not. A dot of Asian ~ perhaps from NA way, way back?

A dot of Ashkenazi Jew, reportedly from the 1700's. Star-crossed lovers? Something darker?

The rest is mutt, from nearly every continent.

Many Americans mistakenly believe they have Native American ancestry, and either have no or a much smaller amount of Native American blood than previously believed.

I've taken 23&Me test and I am mainly western European and Filipina.
    Proverbs 19:17

Buckskin Girl - Facebook page - Websleuths thread
    Arroyo Grande Jane Doe - Facebook page - Websleuths thread

I am one of those who took a DNA test thinking I'd find Native American ancestry. Zero found.

What was interesting is it came back at 10% Italian. I had a great grandmother who told everyone she was part Cherokee, thus her olive complexion. For whatever reason I now think she lied. She lived in the late 1800's to about the 1920's and married a Methodist minister. She probably didn't think it too smart to disclose she had family that were (gasp!) Catholic. Truth will out I guess.
    'Never stop fighting..never give up'

Kevin Kostner as Eliott Ness in 'The Untouchables'

Quote Originally Posted by Snick1946 View Post
    I am one of those who took a DNA test thinking I'd find Native American ancestry. Zero found.

What was interesting is it came back at 10% Italian. I had a great grandmother who told everyone she was part Cherokee, thus her olive complexion. For whatever reason I now think she lied. She lived in the late 1800's to about the 1920's and married a Methodist minister. She probably didn't think it too smart to disclose she had family that were (gasp!) Catholic. Truth will out I guess.
    I know there was a time in America where Italian immigrants were looked down upon and shamed, so it's possible she felt claiming Cherokee would make her more accepted! Very fascinating that you discovered something so different in your DNA

Central Oregon in the foothills of the Cascade mountains.
    Mine showed 97% whiter than a toilet. 3% from Central America.

A male ancestor of mine from my paternal life was, in the early 1900s, photographed standing next to a Native American woman wearing braids and buckskin. Later on, our family started to believe that the woman was his wife, who was never photographed, so nobody could know otherwise.

After our DNA tests, we learned that there isn't a drop of Native blood in either sides of our family.

We concluded it was a pic with a Native American woman who took a "novelty" photo with him for money
    Last edited by Springrain; 09-08-2017 at 04:24 PM.
    Proverbs 19:17

Buckskin Girl - Facebook page - Websleuths thread
    Arroyo Grande Jane Doe - Facebook page - Websleuths thread

I'm white. I actually thought we would be part black and Native American because of how long our family was on the continent, but we're not. Somewhat disappointing, as I like both those cultures. But it doesn't change anything really. I am who I am.

Race is a label. All ethnic groups are full of good people and a few bad apples. The anti-white hate thrown around every day like it's nothing is dangerous and it's wrong. It's hate speech and the more that Federal laws start invoking extra penalties for "hate crimes", the more power a slander and libel lawsuit has for anyone who wants to call a public figure a racist.

Because when you allege someone is racist because of their political views, because racism is a crime in many situations, you have engaged in slander and libel. You have publicly accused someone of a crime like pedophilia. They have every right to sue you for punitive damages.

BritsKate is offline Past mistakes should teach you to create a wonderful future.
    Quote Originally Posted by illyana View Post
    I'm white. I actually thought we would be part black and Native American because of how long our family was on the continent, but we're not. Somewhat disappointing, as I like both those cultures. But it doesn't change anything really. I am who I am.

Race is a label. All ethnic groups are full of good people and a few bad apples. The anti-white hate thrown around every day like it's nothing is dangerous and it's wrong. It's hate speech and the more that Federal laws start invoking extra penalties for "hate crimes", the more power a slander and libel lawsuit has for anyone who wants to call a public figure a racist.

Because when you allege someone is racist because of their political views, because racism is a crime in many situations, you have engaged in slander and libel. You have publicly accused someone of a crime like pedophilia. They have every right to sue you for punitive damages.
    This isn't true legally at all. The absolute first rule to proving defamation must be construing false statement as fact. Opinion is not fact. Assuming the first burden has been met, the 'fact' must personally harm your reputation - this isn't the same as hurt feelings - you have to prove such a statement caused something like a job loss or social standing. If that also is met, than it must next be proven that the statements were made without doing due diligence (which is why many plaintiffs state they knew they were making false statements); and lastly, if one is a public figure, one must also prove such statements were made with an intentional malice.

If you're suing someone for slander over an opinion posted anonymously on a discussion forum, I seriously wish you the very best of luck. I personally wouldn't waste my money on attorney or filing fees though.

And further, racism itself isn't a crime in the legal sense. It only ever factors into other criminal and civil matters - like discrimination or hate crimes - much unlike pedophilia, which is obviously a crime in and of itself.

Racism isn't a crime. Discrimination is a crime.

Unless someone has submitted their DNA to one of the currently trending genetic testing/family tree organizations, how can one truly know their ethnic make-up?As some of the folks on the TV ads state: "I had no idea..."I believe I'm of Scottish descent, based on my genealogical research, but my DNA may provide evidence to the contrary.
    There's a difference between your heritage and culture, and your race. What would you fill out on a census form? Or how would someone describe you on a missing poster? (Which I hope never happens! It's just an example.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tawny View Post
    I know there was a time in America where Italian immigrants were looked down upon and shamed, so it's possible she felt claiming Cherokee would make her more accepted! Very fascinating that you discovered something so different in your DNA
    They were, especially in certain places. During and for a time after WWII my German grandparents told everyone they were Swedish. My father was in his 20s before he learned the truth.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast