691 users online (116 members and 575 guests)  

Websleuths News

View Poll Results: What is your ethnic make-up?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mixed/Multi-racial

8 11.27%
  • White - Caucasian - European Descent

58 81.69%
  • Black/African Descent

0 0%
  • Hispanic - Central/South American

0 0%
  • Asian Descent

1 1.41%
  • Native American/Indigenous

4 5.63%
  • Other

0 0%

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by illyana View Post
    Because when you allege someone is racist because of their political views, because racism is a crime in many situations, you have engaged in slander and libel.
    This is incorrect. First of all they have to prove the accusation isn't true, and second of all they have to prove it somehow damaged them (as in cost them their job).

I am French, Scottish, Spanish, Italian and Native Canadian. I was expecting some British blood and surprised there was zero. Did DNA test as well.

I also tested as 1% Iberian (Spanish). Since the same test gave me 17% Irish, I assume one of my ancestors may have been a shipwrecked soldier from the Armada.
    'Never stop fighting..never give up'

Kevin Kostner as Eliott Ness in 'The Untouchables'

Quote Originally Posted by Snick1946 View Post
    I also tested as 1% Iberian (Spanish). Since the same test gave me 17% Irish, I assume one of my ancestors may have been a shipwrecked soldier from the Armada.
    Possibly, or he immigrated to Ireland long after the armada was wrecked. Ireland has always been close to the Galician region in Spain. Galicians are largely Celtic in both looks and culture (including bag pipes). In modern time, one of the Irish independence leaders had the Spanish name of Valera.

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/spain/g...2-1479d276ec85

Quote Originally Posted by matou View Post
    I am French, Scottish, Spanish, Italian and Native Canadian. I was expecting some British blood and surprised there was zero. Did DNA test as well.
    Scotland is part of Great Britain. Thus you do have 'British' background in a way.

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    Possibly, or he immigrated to Ireland long after the armada was wrecked. Ireland has always been close to the Galician region in Spain. Galicians are largely Celtic in both looks and culture (including bag pipes). In modern time, one of the Irish independence leaders had the Spanish name of Valera.

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/spain/g...2-1479d276ec85

Scotland is part of Great Britain. Thus you do have 'British' background in a way.
    Sorry, I meant English instead of British. That population was tested in my DNA and there was zero.

I also had my genetics tested, for medical reasons, but it was interesting. I am overwhelmingly white, almost all from Scandanavia. I knew that, as my parents came from Norway and Denmark, but apparently my ancestors didn't get around much
    The biggest surprise was that I have more Neanderthal ancestry than 98% of people on the planet. Quite sure that's nothing to brag about......
    Thanks Tawny!

Quote Originally Posted by kareylou View Post
    I also had my genetics tested, for medical reasons, but it was interesting. I am overwhelmingly white, almost all from Scandanavia. I knew that, as my parents came from Norway and Denmark, but apparently my ancestors didn't get around much
    The biggest surprise was that I have more Neanderthal ancestry than 98% of people on the planet. Quite sure that's nothing to brag about......
    Thanks Tawny!
    Which test did you do? Interested in the Neanderthal info.

Everyone living outside of Africa today has a small amount of Neanderthal in them, carried as a living relic of these ancient encounters. A team of scientists comparing the full genomes of the two species concluded that most Europeans and Asians have between 1 to 2 percent Neanderthal DNA. Indigenous sub-Saharan Africans have none, or very little Neanderthal DNA because their ancestors did not migrate through Eurasia.

https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/neanderthal/

New DNA From a Neanderthal Bone Holds Evidence of a Lost Tribe of Humans

https://www.sciencealert.com/this-ne...ribe-of-humans

Differences between our mitochondrial genes suggest we last shared a common ancestor a little over 400,000 years ago, though previous studies on nuclear DNA had estimated a split as far back as nearly 800,000 years ago.

Another group of human cousins dubbed the Denisovans also split off from a group of Neanderthals roughly 400,000 to 450,000 years ago before they went wandering the Earth.

The thing to note is Denisovans have nuclear DNA that matches Neanderthals' DNA more than our own. Which makes sense, since Denisovans probably split off from a Neanderthal population.
    It's my opinion if no link provided.

Misspellings due to fat fingers

Words matter.

You don't know what you don't know.

I did 23andme.

Quote Originally Posted by kareylou View Post
    Thanks Tawny!
    The Nova series "First Peoples" discusses the prevalence of ancient Neanderthal mating with early humans. According to the Nova series, the Neanderthals helped the early humans to survive, from assisting early humans in learning to flourish within their newfound habitat, as well as contributing their immune resistance to many diseases.

I think we owe our ancient Neanderthal relatives a great big Thank You. If not for them, modern humans likely wouldn't exist.

ETA: I think the term "Neanderthal" has long been unfairly characterized as a derogatory term to describe someone of lesser IQ.

If science is accurate, most of us are descended from Neanderthal and early human interbreeding.
    Last edited by sorrell skye; 09-13-2017 at 11:42 PM. Reason: added ETA
    To understand the soul of a horse is the closest we humans can come to knowing perfection.

I have Neanderthal DNA as well; less than average. DH does as well.

We used 23 and me, though it was a bit more expensive. The results are used for research, which appealed to us. I answer questionnaires about physical and mental health every few months.

EuTuCroquet? is offline This may be the year when we finally come face to face with ourselves. ~ HST

Anonymous Demographic Survey

European, mostly. Irish, Scotch, Black Dutch and German, mainly, with dashes of others thrown into the mix. I did 23&me and Ancestry DNA tests several years ago.

MOO
    Last edited by EuTuCroquet?; 09-26-2017 at 11:00 PM.

EuTuCroquet? is offline This may be the year when we finally come face to face with ourselves. ~ HST

Anonymous Demographic Survey

Quote Originally Posted by Elley Mae View Post
    Everyone living outside of Africa today has a small amount of Neanderthal in them, carried as a living relic of these ancient encounters. A team of scientists comparing the full genomes of the two species concluded that most Europeans and Asians have between 1 to 2 percent Neanderthal DNA. Indigenous sub-Saharan Africans have none, or very little Neanderthal DNA because their ancestors did not migrate through Eurasia.

https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/neanderthal/

New DNA From a Neanderthal Bone Holds Evidence of a Lost Tribe of Humans

https://www.sciencealert.com/this-ne...ribe-of-humans

Differences between our mitochondrial genes suggest we last shared a common ancestor a little over 400,000 years ago, though previous studies on nuclear DNA had estimated a split as far back as nearly 800,000 years ago.

Another group of human cousins dubbed the Denisovans also split off from a group of Neanderthals roughly 400,000 to 450,000 years ago before they went wandering the Earth.

The thing to note is Denisovans have nuclear DNA that matches Neanderthals' DNA more than our own. Which makes sense, since Denisovans probably split off from a Neanderthal population.
    Interesting!! I have neither Neanderthal nor Sub Saharan African, but you just explained why so many in my family DO have one or the other, but not both. Thank you

MOO

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2