729 users online (78 members and 651 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Updated 11:00am advisory:

The NHC has issued a tropical storm warning for parts of New England from Watch Hill, Rhode Island, to Hull, Massachusetts, including Block Island, Martha's Vineyard, and Nantucket, as of 11 a.m. ET on Monday. Tropical storm conditions should be expected somewhere in that area within the next 24 to 36 hours.

Jose's center will most likely stay out at sea, but the NHC reported that parts of the US were already feeling dangerous surf and rip currents because of the storm. Swells from Jose are also affecting the Bahamas, Bermuda, and the East Coast of the US.

Areas in the northeast under tropical storm watch run from Fenwick Island, Delaware, to Sandy Hook, New Jersey; and from East Rockaway Inlet, New York, to Watch Hill, Rhode Island. The area under the storm watch also includes Delaware Bay South.

Even if Jose stays offshore as expected, parts of the coast and Mid-Atlantic are expected to experience powerful gusts of wind, heavy rainfall with isolated flooding, and dangerous ocean conditions including coastal flooding.

http://www.businessinsider.com/hurri...t-coast-2017-9

On Monday morning, Hurricane Jose was about 270 miles east-southeast of Cape Hatteras, North Carolina, and was moving north at 9 mph.

"Jose is expected to produce total rain accumulations of 3 to 5 inches over eastern Long Island, southeast Connecticut, southern Rhode Island, and southeast Massachusetts, including Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket, through Wednesday," the National Hurricane Center said.

Jose is expected to weaken in the next few days, but will likely remain a hurricane through Tuesday.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/18/americ...lee/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by margarita25 View Post
    Hurricane Maria is following Irma’s path and getting stronger
    http://kdvr.com/2017/09/18/hurricane...ting-stronger/

Do we have a thread for Maria?
    Yes.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...tember-16-2017

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyGirl View Post
    I've been very worried about Jose. Last I saw we should be getting about 20-25 mph winds with gusts up to 35 mph. Last night I saw someone posting surf at Point Pleasant Beach coming up to the palms over by Jenkinsons.

My house is still on jenga blocks 10 feet up in the air. No, I won't get flooding but now i'm concerned about the winds.

thanks for keeping this updated Henry!
    Hi JerseyGirl-
    Just got a text back from architect friend who is also Jersey Shore resident. He feels the house would be designed for that wind load during the lift. Maybe check with your builders for reassurance.

I am also in Jersey and lived through Sandy... It gave me a whole new perspective on Mother Nature, but no one knows this more than our shore peeps.

Praying Jose veers east, and season calms down so your house is completed with no issues!! Love our Jersey Shore!

I want to thank WS hurricane peeps for the amazing coverage, and information I never understood before. You all, Henry, CARIIS, and JerseyGirl, and so many more have been so great!!!

SUMMARY OF 2:00 PM EDT UPDATE

JOSE PRODUCING DANGEROUS SURF AND RIP CURRENTS ALONG THE EAST COAST OF THE UNITED STATES

LOCATION...34.2N 71.0W
    ABOUT 265 MI...425 KM ESE OF CAPE HATTERAS NORTH CAROLINA
    ABOUT 490 MI...790 KM S OF NANTUCKET MASSACHUSETTS
    MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...75 MPH...120 KM/H
    PRESENT MOVEMENT...N OR 10 DEGREES AT 9 MPH...15 KM/H
    MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...977 MB...28.85 INCHES

SUMMARY OF WATCHES AND WARNINGS IN EFFECT:

A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect for...
    * Watch Hill, Rhode Island to Hull, Massachusetts
    * Block Island, Rhode Island
    * Martha's Vineyard
    * Nantucket

A Tropical Storm Watch is in effect for...
    * Fenwick Island, Delaware to Sandy Hook, New Jersey
    * Delaware Bay South
    * East Rockaway Inlet, New York to Watch Hill, Rhode Island

48-Hour Forecast:
    On the forecast track, the center of Jose is forecast to pass well offshore of the Outer Banks of North Carolina this evening, pass well east of the Delmarva peninsula tonight and Tuesday, and pass well to the east of the New Jersey coast on Wednesday.

Rainfall:
    Jose is expected to produce total rain accumulations of 3 to 5 inches over eastern Long Island, southeast Connecticut, southern Rhode Island, and southeast Massachusetts, including Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket through Wednesday. Jose is also expected to produce total rain accumulations up to 2 inches along the mid-Atlantic coast, and from southeast New York to coastal Maine. This rainfall could cause isolated flooding.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh...l/181143.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyGirl View Post
    Yes we are, the house was raised last week and sitting on cribbing. Now they need to install about 20 or more helical piles, then lay concrete and begin building the base with concrete block.

This is not my house but cribbing looks like this. I'm worried about flooding eroding under the house as well as if the house can sustain 50 mph gusts.

We live on a canal (lagoon) a few houses in from Barnegat Bay.

What a beautiful house (too bad it isn;t yours ... or is yours just as lovely?). But that looks like such a long way up ... how do you get into the house after raising it like this, and what becomes of the garage ? Does it get converted to more living space? I am not fond of stairs, especially when bringing home groceries. Hubby always wanted to raise our old "foundation-less" home (1875 or so), but now I can see how much work that entails and why it costs so much.

Quote Originally Posted by rosemadderlake View Post
    I want to thank WS hurricane peeps for the amazing coverage, and information I never understood before. You all, Henry, CARIIS, and JerseyGirl, and so many more have been so great!!!
    I second that! I have learned a lot from these weather threads lately.... and met lots more wonderful members/.
    "At Websleuths we take pride in being a notch above the rest. " Harmony2, WS
    * *. * * *. *. *. *
    Justice for Julia Niswender, murdered 12/10/2012, unsolved
    Justice for Christopher Preston 9/7/2013 - 10/10/2014; LWOP for Joseph Adams
    Chelsea Bruck, missing 10/26/2014, found 4/24/2015 ; Daniel Clay-Guilty Felony Murder/concealing body 5/16/2017
    Find Eric Franks (40) Missing from Bridgeport, MI since March 2011

NHC 8:00 Update:

The eye wall continues to be exposed, re-tensificatipn is not expected.

DISCUSSION AND 48-HOUR OUTLOOK ------------------------------ At 800 PM EDT (0000 UTC), the center of Hurricane Jose was located near latitude 34.8 North, longitude 71.5 West. Jose has been nearly stationary during the past few hours, but it should resume a motion toward the north near 10 mph (17 km/h) later tonight or Tuesday. A turn to the northeast is expected to occur on Tuesday night. On the forecast track, the center of Jose is forecast to pass well offshore of the Delmarva peninsula early Tuesday, and pass well to the east of the New Jersey coast on Wednesday. Maximum sustained winds remain near 75 mph (120 km/h) with higher gusts. Little change in strength is forecast during the next 48 hours. Hurricane-force winds extend outward up to 60 miles (95 km) from the center and tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 230 miles (370 km). The minimum central pressure recently reported by an Air Force Reconnaissance plane was 973 mb (28.73 inches)

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh.../151452.shtml?

http://spaghettimodels.com

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk
    "The truth is rarely pure and never simple" - Oscar Wilde

In my opinion....speculation

I'm on Nantucket. Wish me luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Moreack View Post
    I do wish you luck! Are you in a safe place away from the coast?

Oh, I will for sure! Keep us updated, please.
    "At Websleuths we take pride in being a notch above the rest. " Harmony2, WS
    * *. * * *. *. *. *
    Justice for Julia Niswender, murdered 12/10/2012, unsolved
    Justice for Christopher Preston 9/7/2013 - 10/10/2014; LWOP for Joseph Adams
    Chelsea Bruck, missing 10/26/2014, found 4/24/2015 ; Daniel Clay-Guilty Felony Murder/concealing body 5/16/2017
    Find Eric Franks (40) Missing from Bridgeport, MI since March 2011

Stay safe and keep us posted!

The winds were whipping early Tuesday as the Jersey shore and Long Island began to feel increased effects, and it is possible there could be moderately significant flooding and beach erosion with the coming high tides.

The storm is unlikely to make landfall, but Jose's center was about 395 miles south of Nantucket, Massachusetts, early Tuesday and moving north at 8 mph with maximum sustained winds of 75 mph.

Eastern Long Island is expected to be the hardest hit in our area, and crews are gearing up for heavy rain and wind. Dix Hills is serving as the base for emergency operations.

Wave heights are expected to top out between 10 and 15 feet, with the strongest winds over eastern Long Island gusting up to 50 mph. Farther west, including the New York City area, winds can gust over 30 mph at times late Tuesday into early Wednesday.

http://abc7ny.com/weather/hurricane-...li-nj/2419190/

"Jose slowly losing steam. TS Watches/Warnings up for the NE. Expected to run into a high and bounce back south. The story of his life. He likes to go in circles.*www.spaghettimodels.com*/ Mikes Weather Page APP"

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast