719 users online (81 members and 638 guests)  

Websleuths News

FL - Erin Cobb, 10, St Petersburg, 26 Dec 1989

Copyright Times Publishing Co. Dec 27, 1989

ST. PETERSBURG - A 10-year-old girl was found dead in her bedroom Tuesday morning. Police are treating the death as a homicide.

Erin Cobb lived in Apartment 3-103 of the Bel-Air Apartments at 10170 11th St. N with her mother, 11-year-old brother, and her mother's boyfriend. Police refused to give their names.

Erin's mother, a nurse, was not home when her daughter was found.
    http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/sptimes/...in+her+bedroom

Copyright Times Publishing Co. Feb 7, 1990
    ST. PETERSBURG - Six weeks after a 10-year-old girl was found slain in her bedroom, police have no motive and no suspect and have made no arrests. As the weeks pass, the chances for an arrest decrease, they concede.
    <snip>
    Erin Cobb was found dead early Dec. 26 in her bedroom at the Bel-Air Apartments, 10170 11th St. N, St. Petersburg. Her mother, Anita Cobb, is a nurse and was working the night shift. Erin's brother, Stacey, and her mother's boyfriend, Stephen Michael Wilder, were in the apartment when Erin was killed.
    http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/sptimes/...of+10-year-old

....and that is it. I can't find any more mention of her murder or the investigation. It's like they just stopped after 6 weeks. I knew this little girl. She was in my oldest daughters class in kindergarden & 1st grade, attented her B-Day parties and even a couple of sleep overs at my house. I had heard rumor that the boyfriend committed suicide shortly after Erin's death but have never been able to confirm that.
    Retired 08/03/03

Well. my gut reaction is the boyfriend. Did you look for a death registry for him on ancestry.com? SSDI? It may help with the suicide theory.

I swear, if I ever get divorced I am staying celebate until after my kids move out. How many times have we heard of this stuff happening when the mother was out and the child was left with a boyfriend?

Rayray, thanks for the info but none of those are the right one. I found his DOB today on an old traffic ticket. He was born in 1960.
    Retired 08/03/03

Looks like her mom last posted in 2008. So few details are found on this case. seems strange that a 10 year old murdered in her own home with 2 family members present wouldn't be more of a story. I'm going to keep looking and will post updates if I find any.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...r&GRid=5822693

@Shadow205 - Wonder if this is the boyfriend since you heard he died shortly after the murder. This obit is 6 months after. Do you know about how old he would have been at the time of the murder and where he was from? Did he have children of his own? This guy was 29 when he died, from Santa Rosa, CA and had one son.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...,8103477&hl=en

Updated obit with a few more details. This says he died unexpectedly which could mean a 1000+1 reasons but could mean suicide.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...,8259743&hl=en

Sorry for all the different posts. How was she murdered? What did the brother and boyfriend see or hear? Who found her? I cannot access the original links from the Tampa Bay Times so I apologize if the information is included in the articles. She would have been 37 this Monday, the 27th.

What make you intrested in this case ?

I still believe that the boyfriend did it. Child abuse. My question is that was Erin sexual abused? Because of the boyfriend committed suicide and he would of went to jail for what he did to this innocent child. I wonder if the brother may of seeing his sister abused. And how did not the mother not know? This sounds fishy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

No the boyfriend didnt do it his dna came back negative i believe the boyfriend was murdered
    Whats your interest in this case ?

Wilder are you somehow related to the case? Do you have any more info?

What has you interested in this case

A 10 year old girl was murdered and no one has been held accountable...

http://blankenshipweb.com/stateinfo/...980-1989fl.htm

1989, St. Petersburg, Pinellas Co., FL, Obituary
    St. Petersburg Times (FL) - December 29, 1989
    Cobb, Erin Mikal, 10, of 10170 11th St. N, St. Petersburg, died Tuesday (Dec. 26, 1989) at her residence of strangulation, the Medical Examiner's Office said. She was born in Beckley, W.Va., and came here in January from Oceana, W.Va. She was a fifth-grade student at Lynch Elementary School.
    Survivors include her mother, Anita Cobb, St. Petersburg; her father, Jerry Cobb, Oceana; a brother, Stacey Cobb, St. Petersburg; maternal grandmother, Mary Jo Blankenship, St. Petersburg; and paternal grandparents, George and Rosa Cobb, maternal great-grandmother, Inez Blankenship, and paternal great-grandfather, Fred Cook, all of Cyclone, W.Va.

The boyfriend had two kids of his own not one on top of that why is everyone pointing fingers at the boy friend theres a lot of missing parts of this investigation like what did the brother of erin see or where was the brother when this happend where was the boyfriend no one knows what happend but one person that was there and that person is the brother that can tell all of what happend or may have happend she was 10 Stacey was 11
    Last edited by Wilder101; 11-05-2017 at 09:25 PM.