Identified! KY - Georgetown, 'Tent Girl', near Eagle Creek, May'68 - Barbara Hackmann-Taylor

Hollow

Former member
Reaction score
In searching for information on Missing Philadelphia teen Edna Christine Thorne, I came upon these other two cases which seem to have got a lot of web attention, they are interesting and I also wonder if they are connected.

http://anomalyinfo.com/articles/sa00020.shtml

Hi! Just started reading it..very interesting links!

Hollow said:
In searching for information on Missing Philadelphia teen Edna Christine Thorne, I came upon these other two cases which seem to have got a lot of web attention, they are interesting and I also wonder if they are connected.

http://anomalyinfo.com/articles/sa00020.shtml
Do you have any links for Edna Christine Thorne? If so, will you post them.

Yaya said:
Do you have any links for Edna Christine Thorne? If so, will you post them.
I wish I could find something about Edna Christine, there is nothing!!!! That girl literally vanished without a trace.

Hollow said:
I wish I could find something about Edna Christine, there is nothing!!!! That girl literally vanished without a trace.
Cannot locate any information on Cheryl Iacovone either

Bucks County Courier Times
Thursday April 18th, 1968

The investigation into the mysterious death of a 16-year-old Torresdale girl, found in a sack in the Neshamminy Creek on Saturday has shifted from the Northhampton site of discovery to Philadelphia.........

A bra, believed to belong to the dead girl was found a half a mile downstream from the small wooded island where Saturday morning's grim discovery was made by three fishermen.
The girl, missing from her home since March 9th, was found in a canvas bag believed to be the type used by campers or to hold baseball bats. The possibility that the bag is of a military type is not being discounted.
Additional evidence may have been provided to police authorities yesterday afternoon with the discovery of faded gold panty hose in creek water in Playwicki Park, Middletown Township.........

Fergione sent the panty hose to the Philadelphia crime lab along with the bra found by his search crews yesterday between the Worthington Mill Bridge and the Chain Bridge on Second Street Pike.......

This article was about Candace Clothier.

Candace's sweater was over her head, she was wearing only panties and her hand was full of hair.Other missing clothing not recovered were a tan jacket, olive green slacks, shoes and a gold ring with a cat's eye center. All the articles I found said she was last seen when she left home to go see her boyfriend. She never made it.Lie detector tests were administered to different suspects and nothing came of it.

Don't know about this one....

The Post Crescent
Friday April 16th 1976
Oshkosh , Wisconsin

Oshkosh- The remains of a badly decomposed body found near here Thursday by a man walking his dog has been taken to the state crime lab for an autopsy and clues to identification.
The body, whose sex is unknown, was found in a shallow grave about 4 p.m. along Skeleton Bridge Road. One-half mile north of State 110, eight miles northwest of here in the town of Vinland.
Patrick Tyeres...was walking his dog when the animal began sniffing at something. When Tyeres searched further, he found the decomposed body, wrapped in a canvas type material from head to foot.....

Moore said numerous rope ties were found at intervals along the body, apparentely for securing the canvas......

I don't know who this was or if it's related in any way. I would like to find out more about this and Barbara Hackman-Taylor's husband's whereabouts in the years after her body was found. He died in '89.

The Tent Girl's story is mentioned in Emily Craig's book "Teasing Secrets from the Dead". I wonder about the husband too, especially since he didn't report her missing. And his occupation required him to travel a lot. That I think is significant.

Hollow,

I can't help but think the families of these girls Edna Christine Thorne & Cheryl Iacovone know what happened to them. Could it be the reason there is not more information. The less they are talked about the less likely questions will be asked of the family.

With todays technology there is no reason why a person can't get their missing family member stories on the internet... kind of like someone knows someone with a computer... or at very least a telephone.

I have been searching about 4 hours for something on these girls.
It's like you said... NOTHING :banghead:

It's like no one cares except the internet community :(
If there is a family member out there I wish they would let us know they care.

I wonder if sometimes it's maybe the family has just given up after so long. They probably still care but just go about their lives and keep to themselves. Back then people didn't seem to pay as much attention to missing teens as much as they do today. maybe the cases weren't thouroghly invesigated. Who knows?

At any rate it would be great if a family member could shed light on these old cases with little to no info. maybe one will come across this site one day.

I just read in an article from The Bucks County Courier Times, that the bag that Candace was found in was not a military type bag as early on suspected, it said it was solid black, measured 48 inches deep with an opening of 22 inches and believed to be homemade.

January 26, 2013

snipped...Matthews is well-known for identifying the Tent Girl, a 30-year-old cold case so called because her discarded body was found wrapped in a tarpaulin in Kentucky. It was Matthews' father-in-law, Wilbur Riddle, who found the body in 1968 -- two years before Matthews was born.

"It just seemed so instantly familiar," he said, explaining his determination to identify the woman. "I guess I felt a kinship to her, because nobody wanted her. At the time, nobody wanted to be responsible for unidentified remains. It was a scourge to have something like it, because you couldn't just dismiss it, there was nobody to give it to."

In 1998, he succeeded in identifying the mysterious Tent Girl -- actually a woman -- as 24-year-old Barbara Ann Hackman-Taylor, with help from the then still-new Internet.

Read more: http://www.thesudburystar.com/2013/01/26/accent-unsolved-cases-unexplained-deaths

Who Was The First Internet Sleuth? Meet Todd Matthews, Who Cracked The 'Tent Girl' Case (with clip)
Todd Matthews was web sleuthing before the term existed, and his original efforts brought solace to Barbara Ann Hackman Taylor's family.

MARCH 26, 2019

"Thanks to the internet, everyone’s a detective now, amirite?

There are dozens, if not hundreds, of Reddit groups and message boards dedicated to those who are spending their free time investigating unsolved crimes using the internet. In 2009, a group of clever sleuthers were able to help solve the 2009 murder of Abraham Shakespeare, a Florida laborer who won millions in the lottery. Then there's the "Zodiac Killer" board, full of sleuthers working to crack the ciphers that the serial killer who called himself the Zodiac created, decades after he sent them to the media and police. Michelle McNamara, author of "I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer," a book widely credited with bringing the attention necessary to help solve the GSK case, became obsessed with the then-unsolved case after becoming entranced by message board posts on the subject.

There are so many people these days calling themselves internet sleuths and armchair detectives — but it wasn't always this way...."

Who Was The First Internet Sleuth? Meet Todd Matthews, Who Cracked The 'Tent Girl' Case

tent+girl+barbara+ann+hackman+taylor.JPG

I wonder if sometimes it's maybe the family has just given up after so long. They probably still care but just go about their lives and keep to themselves. Back then people didn't seem to pay as much attention to missing teens as much as they do today. maybe the cases weren't thouroghly invesigated. Who knows?

At any rate it would be great if a family member could shed light on these old cases with little to no info. maybe one will come across this site one day.
Today is the day....just happened to find this site...I'm a family member Andi do know what happened ..hopefully someone still cares ....I do ..always have no but no one ever listened or heard me....:(...is there anyone out there that ..still is interested in this crime?

Today is the day....just happened to find this site...I'm a family member Andi do know what happened ..hopefully someone still cares ....I do ..always have no but no one ever listened or heard me....:(...is there anyone out there that ..still is interested in this crime?

Yes, I, for one, would love to hear your thoughts.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooreknowledge
Back