1082 users online (265 members and 817 guests)  


The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,064

    Infant Killed When Air Bag Deploys

    http://www.11alive.com/news/news_art...?storyid=74517

    Georgia State Patrol senior communications officer Craig Minor said Angel was restrained in the front passenger seat, not the back seat as state law requires.

    This is so sad. This baby's death was totally avoidable.
    You put the light in me...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    46
    What in the hell!!!! was this mom thinking???? Good Grief!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,804
    When I had preschoolers, I went to this safety thing where you could drive up in your car and a car safety expert would check out your car seats for appropriate size, placement, etc. The guy who inspected mine said almost no one uses them correctly. Out of two, one of mine was set at the wrong angle (remember the fisher price car seats, you could choose three angles to set the back bar).

    Anyway, sad for this baby. In one generation we've gone from no restraints at all in a car to car seats for safety and now this safety device, the airbag, blew up and killed the baby.

    Sad.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    7,398
    I cannot stand when a child dies over stupidity.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    865
    I know some trucks actually have a switch where you can turn the airbag off, but most passenger cars don't have that (I guess cause trucks generally don't have back seats big enough for a carseat). This is sad, and it was totally avoidable. If you absolutely must have your child in the front seat GET THE AIRBAG TURNED OFF! A car dealer can easily disconnect the airbag.


    Happiness...consists in giving, and in serving others.
    - Henry Drummond

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    5,593
    I had just bought a brand new model car and shortly there after received a recall from Chrysler because of the air bags but already knew what it was about, a child riding in the front seat that was restrained was decapitated by the release of an air bag! I thought it had been a law but maybe not everywhere because of this case that children under a certain weight or size were prohibited from the front and to my knowledge it has always been the law with car seats. At the time my youngest daughter was 12 or 13 and very petite anyway so I didn't allow her up front, not worth the risk. Later on she grew a little more not much though but she got in the habit of reclining the seat way back often laying down much to my disdain because she couldn't get that out of her mind!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,711
    If Florida I have been told they will not turn off the airbag in a car unless the owner has a letter requiring it from a DR. They will not do it so a baby seat can be put in the front seat.

    UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD A BABY SEAT BE IN THE FRONT OF THE CAR.
    THe safest place is the middle seatbealt in the back of the car.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    865
    Some children with medical problems need to be in the front seat. I'm not exactly sure what medical problems (severe reflux maybe?) constitute having to be in the front seat but I know there are some. I'm going to check into it and see since I'm curious now.


    Happiness...consists in giving, and in serving others.
    - Henry Drummond

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    9
    Its been years, and my baby brother is now 24, but he had to be in the front always because otherwise he would puke all over the place, this was from infancy to about age 8.

    Also car seats werent really used that much back then. But I am sure he would have been a car puker even if he was in a car seat.

    I get sick if I am in the backseat to this day myself.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,711
    24 years ago ... Car seats weren't mandatory and cars did not have airbags ..



    Paradise if that was the case then the parents could get a note from a Dr. or purchase a car that did not have airbags.. (like an older model)


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    10,403

    Unhappy

    A baby here died when a front passenger airbag deployed in '96. She was decapitated :

    Boise, Idaho -- A parking lot fender-bender that decapitated a 1-year-old girl prompted a federal investigation and drew even more attention yesterday to the potential dangers of air bags.
    The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration dispatched a team from Los Angeles to investigate Tuesday night's accident.
    Police said 1-year-old Alexandra Greer was in a forward-facing child safety seat when her mother, Rebecca Blackman, 21, rear-ended a car that had just entered a mall parking lot.
    The impact deployed the Volkswagen Jetta's passenger-side air bag, which deployed at 200 mph, decapitating the child and throwing her head through the broken door window onto the parking lot.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    865
    Quote Originally Posted by Amraann
    24 years ago ... Car seats weren't mandatory and cars did not have airbags ..



    Paradise if that was the case then the parents could get a note from a Dr. or purchase a car that did not have airbags.. (like an older model)
    Yes, I read online somewhere that some children with certain health problems (the site didn't specifically mention what problems though) may need to be supervised at all times and may need to ride in the front seat but that this should only be done if there isn't someone who could sit in the back seat with the child to watch it. I can't see how someone could drive and keep a constant eye on their child, there's more of a risk getting into an accident that way.


    Happiness...consists in giving, and in serving others.
    - Henry Drummond

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMom
    A baby here died when a front passenger airbag deployed in '96. She was decapitated :

    Boise, Idaho -- A parking lot fender-bender that decapitated a 1-year-old girl prompted a federal investigation and drew even more attention yesterday to the potential dangers of air bags.
    The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration dispatched a team from Los Angeles to investigate Tuesday night's accident.
    Police said 1-year-old Alexandra Greer was in a forward-facing child safety seat when her mother, Rebecca Blackman, 21, rear-ended a car that had just entered a mall parking lot.
    The impact deployed the Volkswagen Jetta's passenger-side air bag, which deployed at 200 mph, decapitating the child and throwing her head through the broken door window onto the parking lot.
    i wonder if this child hadn't been facing forward, would this have happened??...i know we were told years ago that if a child wasn't facing forward, it was ok to put them in the front seat...i'm thinking though that the child had to be much younger than 1 yr old....

    those airbags are deployed at such at fast speed, it's a wonder that more adults aren't hurt sometimes...course it's better than being thrown out the windshield....

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    10,403
    Quote Originally Posted by close_enough
    i wonder if this child hadn't been facing forward, would this have happened??...i know we were told years ago that if a child wasn't facing forward, it was ok to put them in the front seat...i'm thinking though that the child had to be much younger than 1 yr old....

    those airbags are deployed at such at fast speed, it's a wonder that more adults aren't hurt sometimes...course it's better than being thrown out the windshield....
    No, she was 1, maybe a little older. I remember it vividly, because it was so horrific that it decapitated her- her head landed in the parking lot. They had pictures of her on the news at the time and she was a gorgeous little baby.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMom
    No, she was 1, maybe a little older. I remember it vividly, because it was so horrific that it decapitated her- her head landed in the parking lot. They had pictures of her on the news at the time and she was a gorgeous little baby.
    right, i understand that the baby was 1...i guess i didn't make it clear what i was "saying"....years ago, it was ok to put a baby in the front seat, in a car seat, as long as they weren't facing forward....like a baby under the age of 1....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Man with HIV rapes infant son
    By Reality Orlando in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-09-2011, 05:42 PM

Tags for this Thread