FL - 9 dead in nursing home during Hurricane Irma, Hollywood, Sept 2017 *Arrests*

SilkySifaka

Reaction score
This is horrific. [video=cnn;health/2017/09/13/florida-nursing-home-deaths-orig-vstop.cnn]http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/13/health/florida-nursing-home-deaths/index.html[/video]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mayor says only calls were two individuals calls and when in hospital with the second, a third came in.. paramedics raised alarm bells and insisted on room by room walk through where they found three patients dead.

Death of 8 at Florida Nursing Home Shocks, Outrages Loved Ones
by Daniel Arkin

Carolyn Eatherly and Linda Horton were like sisters. Eatherly, an only child who never married, lived with Horton for 20 years. But when Eatherly was diagnosed with Alzheimer's a decade ago, she had to move into a nursing home. She ended up in one in the town of Hollywood, Florida, about 20 miles north of Miami.

For a year, Horton called Eatherly every week. Horton once visited the Rehabilitation Center at Hollywood Hills, but that seemed to aggravate Eatherly, who was wracked by dementia.

"She got agitated. They had to sedate her," said Horton, 65. "After I left, she tried to escape."

Horton said she had "to do a tough love thing" — refrain from visiting and leave Eatherly in the hands of the medical professionals at the nursing home.

"I thought it was OK," Horton said on Thursday morning, referring to the facility. "But apparently it wasn't." ...

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/h...-home-prompts-outrage-demands-answers-n801306

A hospital was thirty yards away. Thirty yards.

Nursing home deaths spur efforts to protect elderly

Hollywood, Fla. — Emergency crews around hurricane-scarred Florida worked Thursday to make sure elderly residents were safe after eight people died in a sweltering nursing home that lost air conditioning in the storm and multiple other facilities were evacuated.

In one of the latest actions to protect older people, residents of a 100-bed suburban Fort Lauderdale assisted-living facility without power were moved to two nearby homes. Elsewhere, facilities lacking electricity tried to keep residents cool with dampened cloths and urged utilities to work quickly.

Stepped-up safety checks came after the deaths at the Rehabilitation Center at Hollywood Hills, which shocked Florida’s top leaders as they surveyed destruction from a storm that spread its punishing effects across the entire state.

“Unfathomable,” Gov. Rick Scott said of the nursing home deaths. “Inexcusable,” U.S. Sen. Bill Nelson added...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/nation/2017/09/14/hurricane-irma/105592232/

Timeline [video=cnn;health/2017/09/13/florida-nursing-home-deaths-orig-vstop.cnn]http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/14/health/florida-nursing-home-irma/index.html[/video]

[video=youtube;mnE5Xi5f6cU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnE5Xi5f6cU[/video]

I don't know how to copy blocks og text like in th timeline on my iPad. Sorry

Timeline [video=cnn;health/2017/09/13/florida-nursing-home-deaths-orig-vstop.cnn]http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/14/health/florida-nursing-home-irma/index.html[/video]

I am on iPad, but I do not use Tapatalk. Your link does ;t work for me, but this one should:
www.cnn.com/2017/09/14/health/florida-nursing-home-irma

TIMELINE (also, much more info on the page)
3 a.m. Wednesday: Someone called 911 for a patient suffering cardiac arrest --- patient was to Memorial Regional Hospital.
4 a.m. Wednesday: A second 911 call came in to transport another resident with breathing problems.
After the second call was completed, a fire lieutenant notified a battalion chief and called the Department of Children and Families to report concerns about the facility.
Shortly thereafter: A third 911 call came in for yet another patient transport -- this time prompting the fire department to send more crews to the nursing home to investigate.
In addition to the resident taken to a funeral home on Tuesday, three others were found dead on the second floor of the nursing home, and several others were in distress.
Around 5 or 5:30, Judy Frum, chief nursing officer at Memorial Regional Hospital, noticed that patients were coming to the emergency room with "extraordinarily high temps."
[frum walked over to nursing home, safe patients in distress, unbearable heat; Frum triggered the hospital's mass-casualty alert.
9:15 a.m. Wednesday: 141 patients evacuated from the nursing home and were being evaluated by paramedics and hospital staff. Another four patients were evacuated from an adjacent behavioral health facility.
Paramedics rushed to evacuate the sweltering facility, but four more nursing home patients died in hospitals.

Why didn't their families evacuate them? Surely, not all 140+ residents were childless and without any living family member.

Apparently, the facility was short staffed as employees evacuated with their own families and there were not enough people to control the situation.

No emergency generator to provide electricity in the event of a disaster?

Nursing homes. Horrible places.

Just guessing the staff was taking their orders from higher-ups! These higher-ups knew they were under code in operating the nursing home and didn't want the state involved. JMO.

This is unbelievable that a hospital was next door and the administrator did not step up to the plate, disobeying the corporate's directions, and get her patients to safety. S/he should have taken their Administrator License off the wall and walked out! The Administrator knew his/her license would be taken away due to the scenario at the nursing home. Makes me wonder if there was an active administrator even at the facility.

This nursing home will surely loose their license, pay hefty fines to the state, as well as millions to patients.

A disgrace that any human being is allowed to operate such an unethical place!

A hospital was thirty yards away. Thirty yards.

Administrations don't move patients because they are not paid for every day the patient is not in the nursing home. It is just disgusting!!!

Just guessing the staff was taking their orders from higher-ups! These higher-ups knew they were under code in operating the nursing home and didn't want the state involved. JMO.

This is unbelievable that a hospital was next door and the administrator did not step up to the plate, disobeying the corporate's directions, and get her patients to safety. S/he should have taken their Administrator License off the wall and walked out! The Administrator knew his/her license would be taken away due to the scenario at the nursing home. Makes me wonder if there was an active administrator even at the facility.

This nursing home will surely loose their license, pay hefty fines to the state, as well as millions to patients.

Believe it or not, this is pretty much the norm. It's all about the $$ and nothing about resident's care or needs.

Believe it or not, this is pretty much the norm. It's all about the $$ and nothing about resident's care or needs.

Sadly, this event will probably be the biggest memory left after Irma on Florida mainland.

That nursing home - ALL nursing homes, assisted living facilities, and related, should have mandated generators when power fails.
Period. This is Florida, a lot of elderly people live down here.

Yes, I know this. Have friends who are long time Administrators. They are so careful who they work for as to how the owners/ corporations run their homes and the fines/code violations/ and the grade of the home. The Administrator can loose their license in a split second. It is known as being taken down off the wall (the license).

With Florida being such an open state with giving out information, I hope we will hear more on how this facility was run.

Sadly, this event will probably be the biggest memory left after Irma on Florida mainland.

That nursing home - ALL nursing homes, assisted living facilities, and related, should have mandated generators when power fails.
Period. This is Florida, a lot of elderly people live down here.

BBM:
Apparently, that will change come November: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ts-amid-investigation/?utm_term=.3495cf07c67f

"There isn't a rule that says a generator must be the source of that emergency power, but I can tell you in 90 percent or more of the emergency cases generators are used," he said. "As of today in the state of Florida, or in the United States, there is not a requirement that nursing homes have air conditioning systems attached to emergency power."

That will change in November. A federal rule will take effect requiring hospitals, nursing homes and long-term care facilities to make sure that they can maintain certain temperatures when the power goes out.

Also from the same article:

The nursing home was aware on Sunday that its air conditioning "ceased to operate effectively" and placed portable air coolers and fans throughout the facility, according Justin Senior, secretary of the Florida Agency for Health Care Administration.
The office of Florida Gov. Rick Scott (R) said the facility had told the state health-care administration it had electricity and access to fans and coolers as of Tuesday afternoon. The Florida Department of Health said that as of 7:30 a.m. Wednesday, the facility reported that it had partial power and a generator was operating. The facility also told the state that its heating and cooling systems were not working, but "at no time" did the nursing home report that conditions had become dangerous or critical.
Broward County, where the facility is located, had said that nursing home staff contacted local officials Tuesday morning to say that they had lost power. In a statement, the county also said the nursing home reported that a tree was on a transformer, information that was relayed to Florida Power and Light, the utility giant.
The county also said the nursing home was not deemed "critical" infrastructure based on guidance from a Florida Power and Light document. The power company declined to release the document Thursday, and a spokesman said only that the company works "closely with county emergency management officials to review and make determinations regarding the top critical infrastructure facilities."
----

And there is this (bold by me): http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/09/1...ma-previously-cited-for-generator-issues.html
The Florida nursing home where eight people died Wednesday in a scorching facility that lost its air conditioning after Hurricane Irma roared through had been previously cited by the state for having generator and maintenance issues.

Storey said investigators determined the facility had some power, however the buildings air conditioning was not fully functional so portable units were being used in an attempt to cool the facility.

"
In compliance with state regulations, the Center did have a generator on standby in the event it would be needed to power life safety systems. The Center also had seven days of food, water, ice and other supplies, including gas for the generator," Carballo said. "Additionally, when the transformer powering the A/C went down, staff set up mobile cooling units and fans to cool the facility. Our staff continually checked on our residents' well-being -- our most important concern -- to ensure they were hydrated and as comfortable as possible."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...s-personally-called-fla-gov-article-1.3500105

[h=1]Nursing home where eight seniors died after Hurricane Irma claims it tried calling Florida governor’s personal phone[/h]
“I am outraged over the deaths at Rehabilitation Center at Hollywood Hills. We must understand their decision to keep patients in danger,” Scott tweeted Saturday. “As ANY health care provider knows to do, if their patients are in danger – they MUST call 911.”

bbm

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021
Back