856 users online (121 members and 735 guests)  


Websleuths News


Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    23,798

    Boy being honored for telling a Lie!

    Officials in one northern Ohio community plan to honor a local boy -- for telling a lie.

    In Sheffield Lake, about 25 miles west of Cleveland on Lake Erie, eleven-year-old Joe Cambria is being credited with saving his mother when their house caught fire last week. She went back in to try to find the family cat, so a worried Joe fibbed and said Simba was already safe.
    http://www.wkrc.com/news/state/story...7-3D84047A597E
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

    Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?


    "Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    32,580
    I guess this is why it's called a 'little white lie.' Kind of makes you think of clouds floating and the angels saying, 'it's ok.' (with a smile on their lips)

    Almost makes you want to cry. Thank goodness all survived.

    JMHO
    fran

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,252
    Hmmm.


    I guess he was trying to protect his mum but I don't see the point of calling him a hero? A little over the top in my opinion. Now if the mum saved the cat from the fire she should get a medal!!!

    I just think he's a little young for this kind of recognition for a lie and understand he doesn't need to repeat this kind of thing to get more attention.


    Oh yeah, and how do you think the mum would feel if he miscalculated and there really was time to get the cat but due to his statement the mum didn't act and the cat died...


    Jubie
    Last edited by jubie; 01-14-2006 at 01:36 PM. Reason: because I meant 'due' not 'do'....duh!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    30,913
    Quote Originally Posted by jubie
    Hmmm.


    I guess he was trying to protect his mum but I don't see the point of calling him a hero? A little over the top in my opinion. Now if the mum saved the cat from the fire she should get a medal!!!

    I just think he's a little young for this kind of recognition for a lie and understand he doesn't need to repeat this kind of thing to get more attention.


    Oh yeah, and how do you think the mum would feel if he miscalculated and there really was time to get the cat but do to his statement the mum didn't act and the cat died...


    Jubie
    I am with ya on this one!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    14,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda7NJ
    I am with ya on this one!
    Me too sweetheart, it only goes with further lying. And when do you draw the line? Always start with the truth and let the chips fall where they lay.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    955
    this happened not far from me, I think they made it way to big of a deal.

    Although he lied and for good cause, I don't think they should keep on and on about it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    26,909
    Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew
    Officials in one northern Ohio community plan to honor a local boy -- for telling a lie.

    In Sheffield Lake, about 25 miles west of Cleveland on Lake Erie, eleven-year-old Joe Cambria is being credited with saving his mother when their house caught fire last week. She went back in to try to find the family cat, so a worried Joe fibbed and said Simba was already safe.
    http://www.wkrc.com/news/state/story...7-3D84047A597E

    Seems mom isn't so bright.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    107
    Ah Mysteriew! Once out of the house why would a sane person go back in. Yes a pet lover would, which I assume this lady was. But to honor the son for letting his mother go back inside the house??????

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    23,798
    Quote Originally Posted by Puca
    Ah Mysteriew! Once out of the house why would a sane person go back in. Yes a pet lover would, which I assume this lady was. But to honor the son for letting his mother go back inside the house??????
    That's just it. He didn't let her go back in. He was just a kid. He did the only thing he could do to keep her from going back in the house. He lied to her and said what he had to say- that he saw the cat come out. So she didn't go back in.
    And they found the cat later, it did get out.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

    Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?


    "Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    2,332
    Quote Originally Posted by jubie
    Hmmm.


    I guess he was trying to protect his mum but I don't see the point of calling him a hero? A little over the top in my opinion. Now if the mum saved the cat from the fire she should get a medal!!!

    I just think he's a little young for this kind of recognition for a lie and understand he doesn't need to repeat this kind of thing to get more attention.


    Oh yeah, and how do you think the mum would feel if he miscalculated and there really was time to get the cat but due to his statement the mum didn't act and the cat died...


    Jubie
    He is a hero because you are never, never, never supposed to go back into a burning building.

    We all love our pets but I would rather the cat died than the boy lose his mother. Sorry, but a cat isn't worth a boy losing his mother.

    Many people have died attempting to go back into burning buildings.

    Very smart boy that he realized his mother's life was not worth risking.

    I understand her concern for the cat but being alive to parent her son is a lot more important.

    Burning buildings can explode and any moment. You can be overcome with smoke even at the very doorway out. I have read about too many tragedies to think that it can be safely done...except by trained fire fighters.

    JMHO


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    2,332
    Quote Originally Posted by concernedperson
    Me too sweetheart, it only goes with further lying. And when do you draw the line? Always start with the truth and let the chips fall where they lay.
    I think a line can be drawn where a child was smart enough to tell a lie when it might save a life.

    My son is allowed to lie any time it will save his own or someone elses life.

    This boy isn't going to learn to lie. He understood the situation and thought fast enough to know what would stop his mom from doing something stupid. Yay for him he did the smartest thing and the right thing.



Similar Threads

  1. Cadavers honored in med student dissection lab
    By Reader in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-01-2013, 09:07 AM
  2. Officers being honored
    By mysteriew in forum Jaycee Lee Dugard
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-02-2009, 12:06 AM
  3. 10-Year-Old Honored For Heroic Efforts
    By Kat in forum News that makes you smile!
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-18-2009, 10:47 PM
  4. Dog That Dialed 911 To Save Owner Honored
    By aussiegran in forum News that makes you smile!
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-28-2006, 02:47 PM
  5. Man who lost legs in ferry crash is honored
    By Casshew in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-10-2004, 09:52 AM