Boy being honored for telling a Lie!

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
Officials in one northern Ohio community plan to honor a local boy -- for telling a lie.

In Sheffield Lake, about 25 miles west of Cleveland on Lake Erie, eleven-year-old Joe Cambria is being credited with saving his mother when their house caught fire last week. She went back in to try to find the family cat, so a worried Joe fibbed and said Simba was already safe.
http://www.wkrc.com/news/state/story.aspx?content_id=CB347A03-E458-4E89-8997-3D84047A597E

I guess this is why it's called a 'little white lie.' Kind of makes you think of clouds floating and the angels saying, 'it's ok.' :innocent: (with a smile on their lips)

Almost makes you want to cry. Thank goodness all survived.

JMHO
fran

Hmmm.

I guess he was trying to protect his mum but I don't see the point of calling him a hero? A little over the top in my opinion. Now if the mum saved the cat from the fire she should get a medal!!! :D

I just think he's a little young for this kind of recognition for a lie and understand he doesn't need to repeat this kind of thing to get more attention.

Oh yeah, and how do you think the mum would feel if he miscalculated and there really was time to get the cat but due to his statement the mum didn't act and the cat died...

Jubie

jubie said:
Hmmm.

I guess he was trying to protect his mum but I don't see the point of calling him a hero? A little over the top in my opinion. Now if the mum saved the cat from the fire she should get a medal!!! :D

I just think he's a little young for this kind of recognition for a lie and understand he doesn't need to repeat this kind of thing to get more attention.

Oh yeah, and how do you think the mum would feel if he miscalculated and there really was time to get the cat but do to his statement the mum didn't act and the cat died...

Jubie

I am with ya on this one!

Linda7NJ said:
I am with ya on this one!

Me too sweetheart, it only goes with further lying. And when do you draw the line? Always start with the truth and let the chips fall where they lay.

this happened not far from me, I think they made it way to big of a deal.

Although he lied and for good cause, I don't think they should keep on and on about it.

mysteriew said:
Officials in one northern Ohio community plan to honor a local boy -- for telling a lie.

In Sheffield Lake, about 25 miles west of Cleveland on Lake Erie, eleven-year-old Joe Cambria is being credited with saving his mother when their house caught fire last week. She went back in to try to find the family cat, so a worried Joe fibbed and said Simba was already safe.
http://www.wkrc.com/news/state/story.aspx?content_id=CB347A03-E458-4E89-8997-3D84047A597E

Seems mom isn't so bright.

Ah Mysteriew! Once out of the house why would a sane person go back in. Yes a pet lover would, which I assume this lady was. But to honor the son for letting his mother go back inside the house??????

Puca said:
Ah Mysteriew! Once out of the house why would a sane person go back in. Yes a pet lover would, which I assume this lady was. But to honor the son for letting his mother go back inside the house??????
That's just it. He didn't let her go back in. He was just a kid. He did the only thing he could do to keep her from going back in the house. He lied to her and said what he had to say- that he saw the cat come out. So she didn't go back in.
And they found the cat later, it did get out.

jubie said:
Hmmm.

Oh yeah, and how do you think the mum would feel if he miscalculated and there really was time to get the cat but due to his statement the mum didn't act and the cat died...

Jubie

He is a hero because you are never, never, never supposed to go back into a burning building.

We all love our pets but I would rather the cat died than the boy lose his mother. Sorry, but a cat isn't worth a boy losing his mother.

Many people have died attempting to go back into burning buildings.

Very smart boy that he realized his mother's life was not worth risking.

I understand her concern for the cat but being alive to parent her son is a lot more important.

Burning buildings can explode and any moment. You can be overcome with smoke even at the very doorway out. I have read about too many tragedies to think that it can be safely done...except by trained fire fighters.

JMHO

concernedperson said:
Me too sweetheart, it only goes with further lying. And when do you draw the line? Always start with the truth and let the chips fall where they lay.

I think a line can be drawn where a child was smart enough to tell a lie when it might save a life.

My son is allowed to lie any time it will save his own or someone elses life.

This boy isn't going to learn to lie. He understood the situation and thought fast enough to know what would stop his mom from doing something stupid. Yay for him he did the smartest thing and the right thing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back